FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Planning on buying a laptop.

william
I plan on purchasing a new laptop. I'm currently looking at Toshiba Satellites, though all of them have drawbacks.

Here are some of the features I want:
A mobile dual core processor.
15.4" widescreen high resolution display
At least 1 GB RAM.
At least 120 GB hard drive
Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
128 MB dedicated graphics card
Premium sound

What laptop do you recommend? My maximum price range is around $2000 (including case, second battery, and mouse).
psycosquirrel
Alienware and IBM make the best laptops, though you will pay 2 or more times for laptop performance in comparison to PC performance.

http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51_m5500.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M-5500&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
william
Alienware, eh? What do you think of Toshiba?
psycosquirrel
I have a Toshiba Sattelite, it runs games great, but could function as a space heater because of how hot it runs. I can't use it on car trips without a pillow on my lap because it will burn my legs.
screamingdecay
Hello,

I will say most people hate Dell but for labtops there all right.

I have an Dell 6000 and got it for 1,500.

The specs are the fallowing,

1.8 ghz Pet. M
1GB DDR
Radeon x300 (can handle BF on Med. Settings)
80 GB Hard drive 7200
17" Screen

Its been real good for me the last few months, and I do think they have the Duel core intel chips now.
william
17 Inch screen? Are you sure? Oh by the way, the 6000 is the first one I looked at. It's a nice laptop, but I can't trust Dell anymore.

psycosquirrel wrote:
I have a Toshiba Sattelite, it runs games great, but could function as a space heater because of how hot it runs. I can't use it on car trips without a pillow on my lap because it will burn my legs.

What model do you have?
angelussum
Definitely aim for more RAM if possible. Dual core is good, but you should have lots of ram to back it up.

I've heard good things about toshibas. Biggest complaint however is bulky size on the bigger ones. Depends on what you are looking for though I suppose.
william
Well, I'm going to get 1 GB now, though I'll upgrade to 2 GB later on.
britto
Go 4 a toshiba, they have Centrino with XP Pro. Works great and has great power saver options.
william
Yeah, but I'm looking for a model with dual core.
Rocky3478
Perhaps a Macbook Pro? With an edu discount they pop into that price range... Although the HD is a bit smaller...
william
Um, I need a Windows operated laptop.
psycosquirrel
The Toshiba I have is a single core P4. Not sure of the model, as I rarely use it, and am not the original owner.

Its fan for the CPU failed yesterday, and now shuts down due to overheating every 15 mins or so when gaming. It is out of warrantee (I think, still looking into it. I think I have no warrantee because I am not the original owner) and I will probably have to rig something to cool the CPU...
time_ar
Toshiba, IBM, Apple are good laptops. I have a dell which is half-priced off but the quality is subpar...

william wrote:
I plan on purchasing a new laptop. I'm currently looking at Toshiba Satellites, though all of them have drawbacks.

Here are some of the features I want:
A mobile dual core processor.
15.4" widescreen high resolution display
At least 1 GB RAM.
At least 120 GB hard drive
Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
128 MB dedicated graphics card
Premium sound

What laptop do you recommend? My maximum price range is around $2000 (including case, second battery, and mouse).
iammarty
Very Happy MacBookPro is good choice because it can run Mac OSX and WindowsXP by using boot camp.

I used to use IBM i think it very strong good for travel. Wink
angelussum
Apple does make nice laptops. They seem sturdy enough, I had a friend who would just carry his around, worked fine, looked fine - but don't quote me on that.
william
I'm currently looking at Toshiba's Satellite A100. I'll have it customized with the features I previously listed. What do you think?
Xeniczone
Windows:

Anything that runs on a Intel Core Duo, but do not buy from HP/Compaq they have poor quality laptops (Trust me I know from experiance)

AMD laptops I have heard they don't do so well.

Apple:
MacBook as long as it isn't black the black one is kind of a rip off for the price they put it at.

iBook: Unlike the newer MacBooks these don't have the intel core duo and don't have the power of a intel core duo, but these offer better battery life then anyother laptop I know off. MAX: 6 hours.
brevity
I would actually recommend sticking with one of the toshiba sattalites just because they seem to be (from my experience) one of the best performers straight out of the box. Also, they tend to hold their resale value quite a bit better than most laptops other than maybe a mac.
william
Well what do think of the specific model, A100-ST8211?

It comes with the following features:

Intel Core Duo Processor T2500 (2.0 GHz)
1 GB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM
15.4" Widescreen XGA TruBrite display
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1300 with 128 MB discrete graphics memory
120 GB Hard Drive. 5400 RPM
DVD SuperMulti Drive

These are the main features. I plan on getting it with XP Home and in Mist Gray.

What do you think? Do you know of any laptops similar to these features; only better quality?
[/list]
Xeniczone
Get that model!!! that is a good laptop. Just do your research on battery life.
william
Yeah, do you know any way to figure that out? Since this model is customized, it doesn't state the battery life for these specific features. I'm definitely getting a 12 cell for my primary battery.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this laptop is priced around $1900 which includes the laptop, primary battery, case, mouse, USB Port Hub, and a flash drive. It does not include the second battery or tax.
Rocky3478
That looks like a solid laptop, if Windows is what you want. For that price, you could get a Macbook Pro with almost the same specs, 3-4 hours battery life, and the ability to run OS X, Windows, and Linux. It all depends on what you want from the machine...
TheGeek
Acer is another one you might wanna check out, i have heard good things about them and they make laptops using the new turion processors as well as i believe the mobil centrino duo processors. Plus theyre usually very reasonably priced for what you get.

other than that, its the same as all the others, IBM, Toshiba or Alienware
william
Yeah, I like all of those companies. Great quality. I still find Toshiba as the best option for me. But, the only complaint I've heard about Toshiba, other than price, is that they're really hot. Does anyone know if this model is hot running?
izcool
I recently purchased my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and it is such of a beautiful piece of machinery (I'm on it right now), it's great.

Specs :

Intel Centrino / Pentium M @ 1.7GHz
60GB HDD
512MB of RAM (can be expanded)
128MB Video Card
15.5" Wide-Screen
DVD+-/RW Drive

- Mike.
william
Inspiron 6000 is old now. I looked at it a long time ago. It was good, for a Dell. But, I'm never going with Dell again. (After horrible experiences with two desktops.)