FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite Kubrick Film?

What is your favorite Stanley Kubrick film?
The Shining
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Dr. Strangelove
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Full Metal Jacket
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Eyes Wide Shut
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2001 A Space Odyssey
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Lolita
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

HDirtwater
Stanley Kubrick directed some great films, many of which are considered to be classics. Which is your favorite and why?

I vote for Dr. Strangelove for its wonderful satire and biting humor in regards to a very scary subject (especially for its time). To make a film that pokes fun at nuclear war during a period with the highest tensions in US/USSR relations is brilliant.
Traveller
Dr. Strangelove has been one of my favourite movies for a long time. I am especially fond of dark of off-beat comedies, and also enjoy (not from Kubrick) Arsenic and Old Lace, Sweeney Todd (the Broadway version, not the trashy, more recent movie), Eating Raoul, Weekend at Bernie's, et al.

Dr. Strangelove is truly a masterpiece, and stars Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Peter Sellers, Sterling Hayden, Peter Sellers, and Slim Pickins. It was also the first movie for the now very distinguished James Earl Jones.
yooksauce
test
zvonca
My vote goes for Dr. Strangelove and Peter Sellers. Masterpiece.
Scaramanga
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with the pack and vote Dr. Strangelove, however, The Shining and 2001 get honourable mention. I never DID understand why King felt like we needed a made-for-TV remake of The Shining. Also, shame on you for not having A Clockwork Orange in this list, it's certainly more of a classic than that piece of crap Eyes Wide Shut (from which I blame Tom Cruise for Kubrick's demise.) Also, you forgot to mention one of his earliest classics: Spartacus.
Nick87
Clockwork Orange most def. It's brilliant!
picsite
I would have to say 2001 a space oddessy because that's the only one i've seen. hahha
HDirtwater
Leaving Clockwork Orange off the list was a terrible mistake. I apologize. Although, the book was better than the movie.

As for Barry Lyndon....well, it is a beautiful movie that put me to sleep. I would recommend it to any aspiring filmmaker, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
HoboPelican
For me:
The Shining
Dr. Strangelove
Clockwork Orange

No order, just one big clump. Each is one of the greatest it's own genre. Although, I think for me Strangelove is the easiest to watch multiple times.
mceejaydee
Dang nobody voted for Full Metal Jacket? Confused That was a great Kubrick film. Clockwork Orange is another one of my favorites
shinnoyami
i've only seen the shinning and 2001, i didn't get a chance to see the others.. anyways, i liked 2001. I still think of it today even though i saw it over 2 years ago. Shocked i thought a lot about what message the movie was trying to say.
serazat
Barry Lyndon (1975) and Paths of Glory (1957) should be in your list too. I hated A Clockwork Orange (1971).It was horrifying and pervert at some points.I will see Lolita (1962) soon since Nabakov is one of my favoriteb writers.Full Metal Jacket (1987) is the best one by Kubrick.
HoboPelican
serazat wrote:
Barry Lyndon (1975) and Paths of Glory (1957) should be in your list too. I hated A Clockwork Orange (1971).It was horrifying and pervert at some points.I will see Lolita (1962) soon since Nabakov is one of my favoriteb writers.Full Metal Jacket (1987) is the best one by Kubrick.

Clockwork Orange was too perverted, but you like Lolita? Confused Smile Interesting, although I agree that CO was more disturbing.
lors
I'd have to say The Shining, mostly cause I am a Jack fan and he is great in this.
althalus
I voted for Full Metal Jacket. I liked that one. I haven't seen all of the others, but meh..

What's the hype about Kubrick anyway, most of his mosvies are dreadfully boring. The other version of The Shining is tons better..
Farhad
Am torn between these three, Dr. Strangelove, 2001 and Full Metal Jacket. However if I had to rank them.

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. 2001
3. Full Metal Jacket
ylmun
mceejaydee wrote:
Dang nobody voted for Full Metal Jacket? Confused That was a great Kubrick film. Clockwork Orange is another one of my favorites

It's almost as if my evil twin posted this! Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange for me.

Hey, Evil Twin! You left out Lolita as our third favorite!
VidE
As an older guy...I saw 2001 about the time it came out-pre-Star Wars et al. Totally blew e away. Holds up well even now. Proboably #!.

But Dr. Strangelove, so different but so great as well. And while it's dark humor and funny, back then it was not so unreal either. A nuclear holocaust via the paranoia of world leaders was something we all really did worry about.
serazat
HoboPelican wrote:
serazat wrote:

Clockwork Orange was too perverted, but you like Lolita? Confused Smile Interesting, although I agree that CO was more disturbing.

I have not seen Lolita I just said I would see it because I like Nabakov and the book. I have seen Paths of Glory lately and I think it's as good as Full Metal Jacket. These two are my favs by Kubrick
Sephi
i love kubrick i have watched Full Metal Jacket Barry Lindon and Shining and i love the all 3!!! just beautiful
Ludo Lambrechts
Full Metal Jacket is Kubrick's best movie IMO.

Ludo Cool
lSaKenl
I loved Clockwork Orange lol, yeah it was too pervert but that was it all about, the criminal mind of a 14 years old (it doesnt look like in the movie, but it says that in the book)