FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Did you buy a Dell/HP/Gateway or Build your own?

Custom Built or Dell/Gateway/HP etc..
Built my own PC
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Dell/HP/Gateway
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Donutey
Did you buy a Dell/HP/Gateway or Build your own computer?

I was wondering what percentage of people put up with Dell's with no expansion capabilities vs. building your own computer.

Thanks.
psycosquirrel
I have built 2 computers and am working on #3.
angelussum
I have heard nothing but bad things about dells.

Been buying my computers 'prepackaged' - but the next one I get, will likely be custom built.
martindecorte
I have heard and experienced nothing but good things with Dell's, especially about their user support.

I build all my pc's myself, so I can choose exactly what I want to put in it, and it saves me money.
izcool
I have a few Dell machines that I sorta got for free, but I built 3 of my own.

Custom Machine #1
Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 2.4GHz
512MB RAM
40GB HDD
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive

Custom Machine #2
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.0GHz
768MB RAM
40GB HDD
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive

Custom Machine #3 (Machine cheaply made, since I had a LOT of parts lying around and put them all together into a machine)
Intel Pentium 3 @ 550MHz
384MB RAM
5GB HDD
CD-RW Drive

I have a ton of machines (a lot that I didn't build) but the above are ones that I've made myself.

- Mike.
Sachsengulli
I bought a pre-built Samsung laptop.
afracsass
i built my desktop about 3 or 4 years ago. 1.5G pentium 4 with ati all in wonder 4x agp card.
I'm thinking that now it's time to upgrade my pc again.
looks like pentium D is a right choice for now and i feel like i have to replace most of the parts including mobo, main memory video cards and even the power supply Very Happy

i don't do game on my pc but i like to build a machine that is not too obsolete. will it be necessary to move to pci express x16 video card with SLI supporting feature? or should i be satisfied with on board video in mobos which use such as 945G chipset. what do you guys think?
psycosquirrel
SLI is excessive, but onboard just sucks. Go with a standard PCI-E x16 board without SLI. AMD is cheaper in terms of cost/performance now, but that is supposed to change in the next 6 months.
ZenFountain
I have been building my own since I was in Jr. High (22 now) Shocked

Current:

Opteron 165 (dual core) @ 2.5 GHz
Radon X800XL
2 GB Mushkin PC3200
37 GB Raptor / 200 GB Western SE
XClio 480w PSU (Channel Well)
17" LCD
Eclipse keyboard / MX518 mouse / Corepad XXXL deskpad

The dual cores are great even though there are not many multi-threaded apps out there for the average user (that will soon change). I basically throw anything I want at this system and it handles it with no slowdown...zipping, burning movies, minimizing a game and doing something else, and it is a monster for the BOINC distributed computing project with an average credit of nearly 500. All my years I always dreamed of a computer that simply did what I wanted...this is it finally!
izcool
ZenFountain wrote:
I have been building my own since I was in Jr. High (22 now) Shocked

Current:

Opteron 165 (dual core) @ 2.5 GHz
Radon X800XL
2 GB Mushkin PC3200
37 GB Raptor / 200 GB Western SE
XClio 480w PSU (Channel Well)
17" LCD
Eclipse keyboard / MX518 mouse / Corepad XXXL deskpad

The dual cores are great even though there are not many multi-threaded apps out there for the average user (that will soon change). I basically throw anything I want at this system and it handles it with no slowdown...zipping, burning movies, minimizing a game and doing something else, and it is a monster for the BOINC distributed computing project with an average credit of nearly 500. All my years I always dreamed of a computer that simply did what I wanted...this is it finally!

Neat, what project are you connected to for BOINC ? I'm with Seti@Home, I have several machines around here (including the one I'm on now) trying to look for aliens. I really should put my 2 Pentium Pro machines off to the side for that, as I just recently put on a Pentium 4 system and it's beating them well into the stone age. I have other machines I can put in place of those 2 machines.

- Mike.