FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting backlinks for a Commercial Site

Phil
I've begun work on a site for a friend that is in the stained glass business. Now, of course, he is interested in Optimizing for search engines. Now I'm no SEO expert, but I know enough that backlinks are a very good way to go to improve aa site's ranking.
I also realize that being this is a commercial site. Most other sites would be view his site as competition and probably be reluctant to gve backlinks.
So how do commercial sites get backlinks? Or for that matter, improve their rankings?
warallthetm
Submit your self into free link directories. There are tons of them
manumiglani
Well,

First of all try submitting to free and reciprocal link directories. List of directories can be obtained from http://www.directorylist.org and http://info.vilesilencer.com/main.php?rock=seo-friendly-list.php

Then try to exchange links with individual websites. Search for your primary and secondary keywords on google and try to see if there is a possibility of link exchange with the websites on first 100 positions. You can always buy text links from high pagerank sites if you have the budget.
Phil
OK, I'll give those a try, but I've heard many of those directory sites can actually harm your SEO efforts.
Is this true?
manumiglani
Phil wrote:
OK, I'll give those a try, but I've heard many of those directory sites can actually harm your SEO efforts.
Is this true?

It will only harm you If you do 100-200 directory submissions per day. If you do these much submissions daily, then your links will not look natural. It is better to do about 25-50 submissions per day 2-3 days per week.

Also, check the pagerank of directories. Do not link back to directories that have a pagerank of their homepage less than 2.

keep changing the title and descriptions little bit every week while submitting to directories. Make sure you do not do all the submisisions with the same title and description.
kcarring
Backlinks from PR0 directories are not necessarily harmfull, at all. If the directory is on topic, it's good! You'll just need MORE PR0 links than if they were higher. Conversely, backlinks from directories hosted on dynamic IP's - do little in the way to help. A good way to determine which directories pack the most punch is to look up your competitions' backlinks, and see which links have been counted towards their campaign, and shoot for the same links!