FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rap vs. Rock

Ofinet
Here we go, I've completely had it with this constant genre bashing popping out in almost every forum topic....so here's a board where you can unleash your bottled up genre-aggression in a controlled environment...

RULES though, you MUST BACK UP ALL OPINIONS WITH EITHER EVIDENCE OR REASON...

This is what gets me the most, when people explode in baseless accusations such as "Rock is depressing, because it's not good like rap"...i mean, wow Einstein you really are swell.

I'll start off by saying, RAP, needing no actual talent apart from interesting talking skills, is the cheapest, most retarded means of expression ever conjured by human beings. And plus, there's a new one every month, the focus being on NEW....there is no end to the botomless resource of monotonous talking vehicles. That's all they are, talking humans. Therefore we should all try to be rappers, all you need is a gimmick (shot 27 times, which is odd because wouldn't there be a reason why you'd been shot) and and interesting way of talking. And plus, make up words that people will use in everyday language to keep up with the times and therefore corrupting a language for future generations.

RANT OVER, where's yours?
spellbinder
i am sorry for my bad english
can i download mp3 this forum ??
Ofinet
spellbinder wrote:
i am sorry for my bad english
can i download mp3 this forum ??

no, go away, that's illegal.
KSheriff
I tend to disagree with both sides. Both "Rock" and "Rap" and good sides and back sides. Usually, it's the mainstream stuff that is horrible.

It doesn't take much to tell that you're heavily biased towards rock, and hence have a much larger pool of music to choose from when forming your opinion. I will state that I have a much broader knowledge base of Rap, but I do still respect many itterations of "rock".

Also, I think it's important to to note that I think your angst lies in your disapproval of Hip Hop culture, not "rap". Quite honestly, I really don't think "rappers" are commonplace anymore. (Artists like Run DMC, Tribe Called Quest, KRS-1, etc) The better rap nowadays doesn't get very much limelight, with the exception of maybe Common and Outkast.

Hip Hop, and most things associated with it are rather pathetic, and the majority of it has always sucked. In my honest opinion, Rap died when people like Jermaine Dupris, Puff Daddy, and Master P became mainstream. The current generation of overall talentless rap artists is not a result of a lack of talent, it's that right now it's not about the music, it's about the image.

As far as the degredation of language, I don't think it's really a problem. Slang will always be used in everyday speech, and it's perfectly acceptable in that context. Think about the amount of internet lingo that is making it's way into the mainstream, does that not count as a form of degredation? Slang often becomes a means of expanding a language, and it should be obvious to you that no language can truly be completely static.

I know I meant to touch on something else, but just can't remember atm.
WoodenChairEnterprises
Quote:
I'll start off by saying, RAP, needing no actual talent apart from interesting talking skills, is the cheapest, most retarded means of expression ever conjured by human beings. And plus, there's a new one every month, the focus being on NEW....there is no end to the botomless resource of monotonous talking vehicles. That's all they are, talking humans. Therefore we should all try to be rappers, all you need is a gimmick (shot 27 times, which is odd because wouldn't there be a reason why you'd been shot) and and interesting way of talking. And plus, make up words that people will use in everyday language to keep up with the times and therefore corrupting a language for future generations.

Well well well. You pretty much summed up rap but I'd also like to add, its just that talking crap ontop of THE SAME 4 BEATS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Thats not music, its crap.

The only rapper I like is Mike Shinoda. He talks about different things and the music just appeals to me. I especially HATE 50 Cent. Absolutely wish he was dead. Who the hell wants to hear some guy mumble about sex. The worst thing is that crap is mainstream and you cant turn on a radio without hearing it.

I personally love pretty much all kinds of rock, but I can see how some people might think most of it sounds the same (I'm talking about all the screamy bands). But when you listen to the lyrics of each song you realise they arent quite the same. (And I love the screamy voices Wink)

And thats my 2 cents.
Helios
Oh.. not the rap vs. rock war again..

If I'll see a bit of flaming here, this thread will be locked.
Scorpio
Ok! Here's me, no flaming at all!

I like a bit of both.

Wondering how?

Thats Me!!!
Stinger
its got to be rock as there is more feel to the music than there is to rap. I like some rap songs but rock ventures deeper into the mind
Twikki
Rock wins, Because rappers cant actually play instruments, I mean have u seen 50 cent with a guitar or drums? No, Rock Wins Hands Down
xorcist
Twikki wrote:
Rock wins, Because rappers cant actually play instruments, I mean have u seen 50 cent with a guitar or drums? No, Rock Wins Hands Down
No but you can see his beats that consists of drums and plus just cause you dont have a guitar or drums doesnt mean its not music.
Blaster
Helios you ready to lock this?????

Ok well I think rock is better. I just never really enjoyed rap. It just seems like it doesn't have any music to it. Some rap can be ok but this rap that is all about like sex isn't really cool. It goes the same for all of this cursing. Some rap songs are ok.
KSheriff
You might want to check out The Roots. It's obvious the crowd here leans heavily towards rock.

Both sides have got a huge amount of trash in them. Saying that 50 Cent sucks is at about the same level as saying Static X sucks. They are both horrible examples of music, equally pointless.

Talking about sex, money and drugs is no worse that talking about death, depression, and drugs.

As far as merits as a musician, I tend to agree with the idea that I admire someone who can play an instrument or someone who can't. At the same time, there are Rappers who can play instruments. If you've got an open mind, check out The Roots and/or Khaos. Both can play instruments, and don't make completely empty music.

One thing to note about "Rap" music is that it evolves at a much faster pace than Rock does. Because the music is not restricted to instuments, ambiguous sounds can often be used to create a much greater level of variation.

When you think of rock, what do you think of? Guitar and drums, no?
When you think of rap, what do you think of? Bassline, no?

Now, when you think about it, which form of music has a greater potential?
Helios
You should think about this before posting:
In the end, it depends on the listener!
Therefore one genre cannot be compared to the other and comparing them would be just dumb!
Because people are different and like different things(clothes, hobbies, games, movies, jobs and, of course, music).

One likes Rap, the other Rock - this is a solid fact!

Still want to continue with this thread, Ofinet?
Or shall I close it?

I understand you, I also like Rock and, for some reason, dislike other genres.
I've learnt to live with it, though.
Today I understand that I'm just different than those whole like different things and I give them the same respect they give me.
Hippie
What a pointless topic, how can you argue about opinions? Are you going to convince me that you're correct?
Besides, everyone knows that rock is better. Very Happy
Blaster
Helios wrote:
You should think about this before posting:
In the end, it depends on the listener!
Therefore one genre cannot be compared to the other and comparing them would be just dumb!
Because people are different and like different things(clothes, hobbies, games, movies, jobs and, of course, music).

One likes Rap, the other Rock - this is a solid fact!

Still want to continue with this thread, Ofinet?
Or shall I close it?

I understand you, I also like Rock and, for some reason, dislike other genres.
I've learnt to live with it, though.
Today I understand that I'm just different than those whole like different things and I give them the same respect they give me.

I agree with you on that. I know people that like different gerns. We just let them be them. Sometimes you get to like the music. I try to be open minded about it.
lyndonray
I agree with the Hippie that this is absolutely pointless. It's comparing apples to peaches, or is it nectarines? Whatever. It's about tastes. one guy can go on about 50 cents ineptitude when it comes to playing chords and another can slam Dave Navarro's inability to make meaningful songs about his mother like 2Pac did!

Rap and rock are both very successul artforms, and therefore there is great meaning value behind both of them! If i had to chose I wouldn't chose either because they have reached a point where they both influence each other. Look at groups like Linkin Park and Rage Against the Machine
Helios
Ok, now I think it's time to -close-.

Dear thread poster, if you'd like this topic unlocked, just pm any moderator Smile