FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Could anyone told me...

leat397
What is the relationship between eggs/ bunny with Easter?
Shouldn't it be a religious event? From what happen/ time the day is connected with those eggs/ rabbit/ or even chicks?
AdamantMonk
The egg and bunny part of Easter maybe celebrates the Spring portion. Like Fertility and Chocolate and all that jazz.

Chicks too.

They should make Chocolate Crucifixes.
[FuN]goku
hmm not sure
Blaster
Good question. Never really got that one myself either. Confused
{name here}
It came from the paegan holiday that came before easter.
Ghost Face
O RLY!? Could you elaborate?

As far as I know they're not.
Ultima1080
Everyone knows that when Jesus came back from the dead, the people dyed their eggs bright colors and hid them from him. To make sure he didn't get the source of the eggs (chickens), they made it appear that rabbits laid the eggs. They did such a good job that Jesus didn't find a single egg. To celebrate, everyone found the eggs and ate chocolates Everyone knows that.
Traveller
Eggs and rabbits, each for different but obvious reasons, are examples of fertility. In the Spring, many plants that have been dormant for the Winter begin to grow, and many animals begin their mating seasons.

Pagans, and others who worship either the Earth, itself, or any number of imagined fertility gods (e.g. the Babylonian/Assyrian Ishtar) often held festivals dedicated to the objects of their worship thinking it would help them have more children and bigger harvests. One of the pagan events was called "Easter."

Christ was was crucified, and three days later resurrected, during the time of the Passover celebration - the Jewish festival that celebrates God's delivering them out of the hands of the Egyptians who had enslaved them. Since this also occured in the Spring, and since Christ's resurrection is also a symbol of new life (though in quite a different sense than the pantheistic or polytheistic symbolism), some early Christians used the part that IS similar as a means of attempting to evangelize pagans.

Although they may have reached some pagans back then, the modern trend is that the pagan elements generate greater commercial interest and make more money and, so, have become much more visible, even among some Christians. Yes, AdamantMonk, there really are some places that make and sell chocolate Crucifixes. Sad
kam311
Yeah, eggs represent the whole pagan notion of fertility. Beliefs got a little mixed in the past...and it really has essentially nothing to do with Christ's death.
Vrythramax
Traveller wrote:
Eggs and rabbits, each for different but obvious reasons, are examples of fertility. In the Spring, many plants that have been dormant for the Winter begin to grow, and many animals begin their mating seasons.

Pagans, and others who worship either the Earth, itself, or any number of imagined fertility gods (e.g. the Babylonian/Assyrian Ishtar) often held festivals dedicated to the objects of their worship thinking it would help them have more children and bigger harvests. One of the pagan events was called "Easter."

Christ was was crucified, and three days later resurrected, during the time of the Passover celebration - the Jewish festival that celebrates God's delivering them out of the hands of the Egyptians who had enslaved them. Since this also occured in the Spring, and since Christ's resurrection is also a symbol of new life (though in quite a different sense than the pantheistic or polytheistic symbolism), some early Christians used the part that IS similar as a means of attempting to evangelize pagans.

Although they may have reached some pagans back then, the modern trend is that the pagan elements generate greater commercial interest and make more money and, so, have become much more visible, even among some Christians. Yes, AdamantMonk, there really are some places that make and sell chocolate Crucifixes. Sad

AT LAST. TY.
Yazz
Wouldn't it be like... Sacreligious to eat a crucifix... I mean... Yeah, what the heck would that entail >.>

"Oh yeah... I was just eatin' this crucifix... Oh, yeah, sure I know it represents Christ's suffering... But it sure is tasty.... mmm... suffering...."

*Chuckles at his half-wittyness*

-Yazz
Vrythramax
Yazz wrote:
Wouldn't it be like... Sacreligious to eat a crucifix... I mean... Yeah, what the heck would that entail >.>

"Oh yeah... I was just eatin' this crucifix... Oh, yeah, sure I know it represents Christ's suffering... But it sure is tasty.... mmm... suffering...."

-Yazz

absoluty true...by todays standards. The Cross/Crucifix was not always a symbol of religious domination as it stands now. The Pagens saught something, as did the Druids and Jewish faiths (respectivly), as well as many others to this day.

It was once reviled and faught against by the the ruleing (sp??) powers, and the majority of the masses. Remember the Romans? It was once used as a symbol of prosecution and persecution for criminals. It wasn't until later in history that one Empieror (eek...spelling again...possibly Augustus?) switched to Christianity that the persecutions stopped.
SNES350
Yazz wrote:

-Yazz

Never do that again. Ever. Please.

*dumps holy water on Yazz in attempt to save his soul*

Wonderful, now I'm doing it to.
Yazz
*laughs*

First of all, I was born a Muslim ^^

Second of all, I don't follow any religion.

So hah, *spits holy water at you*

-Yazz
Vrythramax
Yazz wrote:
*laughs*

-Yazz

umm..."born a Muslim" and follows no religion??? Question
Yazz
Well my parents are Muslim, and I was brought into the world as a Muslim, but by my own choice, I don't follow religion.

-Yazz
Vrythramax
Cool seems I was "born an Irish Catholic"...but also seems that I have had some falling outs with it.

Sorry Bro/Sis Very Happy

No Offense.
Code of Ruin
Hmm, interesting question, never thought about it before. Maybe it is remnant from a pagan festivity. Just like christmas trees.
ocalhoun
AdamantMonk wrote:

They should make Chocolate Crucifixes.

They do!
SkullPizza
Yazz wrote:
*laughs*

-Yazz

Whoa, you're the man. Ya know according to muslims you should die? isn't that awesome!?
AdamantMonk
So yeah then what is the deal with Christmas Trees? I know like Santa came from St. Nicholas sorta like he gave presents to poor people... But decorating a half-dead tree?