FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux...

KHO
Yeah, l know, this is another newbi thread Neutral l am a windows user, wanting to go linux, not ready to just up and drop all my windows stuff, so l want a dual-boot, already have instructions on how to do all that. But what l want to know, is if there is a real difference in the linux ditributions? l realize they each specialize in one thing or whatever, but l want to know if there will be compatablity issues if l install a "CORE" version.

l was looking for some software for this, and l noticed that there were a few different versions of the product available depending on which linux l was using, this made me a little unsettled Neutral. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Commando_Sondre
Have you installed Linux? I have SUSE 10 and Windows XP on my computer. When I installed SUSE 10, I got a boot-screen where I can choose which OS i will boot.

So just download SUSE 10 (a very good distro) and you'll have dual-boot.
KHO
Did you even read the whole post? l put this line in there so that l wouldn't get anyone telling me how to dual-boot:
Quote:
so l want a dual-boot, already have instructions on how to do all that.
Neutral l don't want to use SuSe anyway, l would prefer to just go ahead and build my own off of a core version. Because the idea that my OS could be like a model car excites me Neutral
sircrojicek
You should have incompatibility issues when trying any linux distribution, the safest solution is to search on the internet for each device which may need aditional drivers installation on win, look for the kernel requirements and any other software requirements, save them, and install everything when you finish 'tunning' your linux flavor. Let saint Google be your guide. Pray

Greetings
mOrpheuS
KHO wrote:
l would prefer to just go ahead and build my own off of a core version. Because the idea that my OS could be like a model car excites me Neutral

Slackware comes highly recommended for a purist approach Wink
The first two CD images should be sufficient for a desktop installation.

I haven't had much time test-driving Debian, but it might make for a good distro too.

But being a linux beginner, you may eventually end up feeling that a more newb-friendly derivative distro is actually better for you.
May I suggest Slax ... runs off a CD or installs nicely to the harddisk. Only ~185MB worth of download. Slackware based.
With a simple boottime switch, the whole OS can be loaded into the system RAM at boot time - to give you that ultra-fast snappy desktop experience.
KHO
Hmmm, bootime switch you say? How would one go about such a procedure?

Oh, and one more thing, l once heard that Linux can run Windows porgrams, l noticed that the KB version of slax says it can run MOST, how can l get it to run all? (trying a bunch of different Linux distros out right now, figure that is the only way to find one l like)
mOrpheuS
KHO wrote:
Hmmm, bootime switch you say? How would one go about such a procedure?

I meant appending a switch at the lilo "boot: " prompt.

Eg, "boot: slax copy2ram" will copy the entire OS to your RAM at boottime (if you have enough RAM, that is) ... even the bulky KDE whizzes along when you do that.

All in all, your experience as the end user is hardly going to be affected by which distro you base your OS upon.
You'll mostly notice the difference in configuring the system and managing packages etc... admin stuff mostly.
KHO
l see, l edited my above question, and l have a question about that aswell Neutral

l read your tut on how to dual-boot and keep the windows boot loader, this is vital for my laptop, and lf l can dig a working monitor out of the closet l can just devote my desktop to linux. My laptop has 2GB of ram and the CPU can currently only support 1.3 (l was hoping for a dual core to be released soon, and hey, its on its way). so l need to know lf l can do the switch using the windows bootloader.
mOrpheuS
KHO wrote:
l once heard that Linux can run Windows porgrams, l noticed that the KB version of slax says it can run MOST, how can l get it to run all?

KillBill (any reference to a certain software giant owner is purely conincidental) version of Slax includes the Wine module.
It'll be able to run most standalone Windows Portable Executable (PE) software. (and can handle DLLs as well)
I'm pretty sure that it won't run them all though. I doubt if anything but windows will run all windows programs.

This part from their "change-log" should give you a good idea of what to expect -
Wine 0.9.12 wrote:
[in this version -] Faster drawing of the cards in Solitaire (very important feature). I know you're all psyched about that.

The "Bill" is not getting killed anytime soon. Laughing

If you wish to run a certain windows application in Linux, you should probably look around the "Wine" site to read up on other user's experiences running that application in Linux.

KHO wrote:
so l need to know lf l can do the switch using the windows bootloader.

Well, the fact is, in that method, Linux is still booted using Lilo/Grub.
Only Lilo/Grub is not installed on the MBR... the MBR remains untouched - Windows bootloader.
The Windows bootloader redirects the boot sequence to the location where Lilo/Grub is installed, which then proceed to boot Linux as usual.

I don't see any reason it shouldn't work with your laptop. Cool
KHO
nice, alright, last question (hopefully) so when l do the installation so it won't effect my MBR, it sounds like after l select my linux distro, it will send me to the lilo/grub bootloader, is this so?
Animal
KHO wrote:
nice, alright, last question (hopefully) so when l do the installation so it won't effect my MBR, it sounds like after l select my linux distro, it will send me to the lilo/grub bootloader, is this so?

Yeah. Grub / Lilo will become your new boot record, so you won't have to use your current one at all.
KHO
No animal, l think you missunderstood the question. l am going to use mOrpheuS's method so that my MBR and boot record are uneffected by the instalation of Linux Grub/Lilo. The need for HDD space fluctates on my laptop, and as l know all my apps work under windows, l will be required to keep it. And last time l installed linux, l needed to uninstall it due to lack of use and consumption of HDD space. And as we all know, uninstalling Linux while your bootloader is looking for Grub is a bad idea Neutral so l ended up having to re-install my copy of Windows (very annoying Neutral) Thus this is why l would like to keep my MBR how it is.
mOrpheuS
KHO wrote:

Exactly !
That's why you may want to install/re-install Lilo/Grub with a timeout of 0.
(Lilo/Grub have an OS selection menu of their own, you don't want to see that after you've already chosen to boot linux at the Windows bootloader ... you want Lilo/Grub to start booting Linux immediately after they get the control)

Remember, you'll have to recreate the linux boot sector clone file (step 2 in the tutorial post I made) if you re-install your Lilo/Grub.
And if you're using Windows bootloader.

And by the way ... MBR can be easily reset if you have the Windows OS installation bootable disk with you. (even a Windows 98/ME bootdisk which contains "FDisk" will do).
In which case you can even toy around with installing Lilo/grub as your primary bootloader.
KHO
Ya l know about that w/ the real windows disk, but sadly, when you buy a laptop now they send you these stupid recovery disks rather than just one recovery disk for drivers and one for the windows OS Neutral that would make life alot better Neutral

Thank you for helping a newb, one day when l am not so newbish l will return the favor by helping another newb, thus the cycle will continue Neutral

Feel free to lock this thread if you so please Mr. Junior Admin Neutral
mOrpheuS
KHO wrote:
Ya l know about that w/ the real windows disk, but sadly, when you buy a laptop now they send you these stupid recovery disks rather than just one recovery disk for drivers and one for the windows OS Neutral that would make life alot better Neutral

OEM disks make for good decorative pieces Laughing

But you can always make a emergency boot disk of your own.

Grab a boot floppy image from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm (preferrably Windows 98 )
And then burn a bootable CD with this boot image. (or use something like rawrite or winimage to create a bootable floppy from this boot image).
KHO
Wow Neutral if you would have told me about that about 3 months ago, me and like 6 other people l know would have been in great gratitude Neutral But alas, l feel that as Vistas reign draws nearer, l think it is time for me to slowly, but permanetly merge over to a linux distro. My desktop has now been formated and Linux has been installed on it, so, l will always have at least one now.
yupeng
I used Redhat Linux,and i felt that it's a real good OS.
But,i sold out my PC one week ago,i don't know when i can buy a PC again.
I'm posting in Frihost in my classmate's PC Crying or Very sad
tony
I use arch linux. http://archlinux.org. it's a little tricky to install but is very customizable once you get i trunning. one other problem is that it only runs on 686 processors. however, most processors are 686 anyway. also - the package manager, pacman, is great.

also, the support is terrific. i started only having used slackware for a couple months and with the wiki and forum, figured out how to install arch. with the irc support, i was able to easily work out other minor issues.