FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unknown problem - file not found

Subsonic Sound
I know this is pretty basic compared to many of the problems, but I am frankly pretty inexperienced. But I'm sure this should work...

I have a file entitled 'index.htm' in the public_html folder, but cannot link to it. My pages all link together nicely if I access them through the file managed, but I can't seem to link to them externally.

http://www.subsonicsound.frih.net/index.htm
http://www.subsonicsound.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks!
thpn
Your links aren't working. Also, you don't add the 'index.htm' to your web address. It's just your homepage.
Subsonic Sound
The fact that the links aren't working is exactly my point.

Why are they not working?
Traveller
Subsonic Sound wrote:
The fact that the links aren't working is exactly my point.

Why are they not working?

More accurately, the links that you posted in your first message are not working, and the symptom is that we are getting a "Cannot find server" message, which means that DNS does not have a record of the subdomain "subsonicsound" under the domain "frih.net" nor the domain "co.uk".

WHY they are producing that error is the real question. Poking around a bit, I found that http://www.subsonic.frih.net and http://www.subsonic.co.uk (note the absence of "sound" from the name) DO work. The Frihost one gives the standard, Frihost placeholder, and the UK one has an image that appears to be from 2001: A Space Odyssey (with modifications) and a note that says the new version of the site will launch in February 2006.

In addition, the Frihost site does not have an "index.htm" file (404 error), but only an "index.html" file. Of course, I don't know if that may be the proper subdomain for you or not, since it certainly isn't what you entered in your message, but IS similar.
Subsonic Sound
That's interesting, and thanks for poking around, but I'm sure it's subsonicsound. Smile

http://www.subsonicsound.frih.net/ - copied directly from my Account Details page.
Traveller
Subsonic Sound wrote:
That's interesting, and thanks for poking around, but I'm sure it's subsonicsound. Smile

http://www.subsonicsound.frih.net/ - copied directly from my Account Details page.

Well, that definitely does not work. Perhaps whoever set up the account created the subdomain as "subsonic" then forgot, and entered the "Account Details" as "subsonicsound" instead. To be sure, don't just check the "Account Details" but also the "File Manager" of "DirectAdmin." You will find that your "public_html" directory is actually a symbolic link to "./domains/yoursubdomain.frih.net/public_html". Whatever you see as "yoursubdomain" is what you need to use.

While you are in your File Manager, go ahead into your "public_html" directory and make sure your "index.html" is there and that its permissions are either 755 or 644. If you also have an "index.htm" (as your previous link would indicate), that may be part of the problem (and, its permissions may not be correct, as well). Make sure the one that you wish to use is named "index.html" and set to 755 or 644.
Subsonic Sound
From the filemanager:
./domains/subsonicsound.co.uk/public_html

the permission on index.html was set to 777, but is now 755. The only other file in that folder at the moment is home.htm (644).
Traveller
Interesting. I just looked more closely at the "cannot find server" error message, and regardless of which of your links I try, the error says that it is "www.subsonicsound.frih.net" that cannot be found.

That means that the DNS is properly redirecting the UK address to the Frihost address, but that the problem is somewhere on the Frihost end. This looks like something that one of the Frihost staff may need to handle.

Definitely never have a 7 as the second or especially the third digit of the permissions - that would allow ANYONE to change the file. For a directory, there may be times when you would want that, but individual files, such as .html, .php, or .js files NEVER!
Subsonic Sound
I'm pretty sure I didn't change it to 777 - but point well taken. I'll check in future.

Anyone else know why this is happening?
Bondings
There is no subsonicsound.frih.net domain in your account, which causes it not to show up. I can add it back to your account, if you want and need it.

Your domain is redirecting to the subdomain, that's why it gives an error. It does send out a page, most likely coming from your registrars website/server.

For the domain, it is better if you point the nameservers at your registrar to our nameservers, it is ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net . Otherwise, it will always be forwarded and never show the real domain.
Subsonic Sound
The domain shows up in my account details page...

But I'll take your word for it that it's not actually there - and yes, I would be very grateful if you would add it, thanks! Cool

And I've changed the registered Nameservers with my registrar. Should take effect in a day or two. Smile
Bondings
Subsonic Sound wrote:
But I'll take your word for it that it's not actually there - and yes, I would be very grateful if you would add it, thanks! Cool

It was there on our server, but the browser didn't know that because the nameservers weren't ours. If you would query the server for that domain, it would have shown output/your domains files.
mathiaus
Traveller wrote:
Perhaps whoever set up the account created the subdomain as "subsonic" then forgot, and entered the "Account Details" as "subsonicsound" instead.

I copied and pasted the whole domain though as it needs the .frih.net so I dont see how the middle could've become lost Shocked
And Direct Admin says it was created as that as well

I created the domain again by the way, just taken a while to post the fact Embarassed
Subsonic Sound
Thank you all, it's working now! Very Happy Cool
Traveller
Looks nice, too. I like the colour selection.

Wales, eh? What are your favourite leek recipes?
Subsonic Sound
Heh, I'm not actually welsh. I'm English, but studying in Wales.

But since you mention it, they go beautifully in Fisherman's Pie! They are an underated vegetable. Incredibly easy to cook, and go well with most things. Smile
Traveller
Subsonic Sound wrote:
Heh, I'm not actually welsh. I'm English, but studying in Wales.

But since you mention it, they go beautifully in Fisherman's Pie! They are an underated vegetable. Incredibly easy to cook, and go well with most things. Smile

Sounds interesting. I'll Google for a recipe. Leeks are among my favourite vegetables. You are right: they are very underated, and their understated flavour is wonderful in things like Chicken with Leeks and Cream or ******-a-Leekie.

Thanks!