FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New at the whole MSN/Yahoo Messenger Thing

annelee21
I have a really good friend in Japan and he wants me to download MSN/Yahoo messenger so that we can chat in real time.

I have never used this before but I used to have AOL and I am wondering if this is like AOL Instant Chat. Would I get a pop-up window and how will I know if he is on?

Sorry for asking such novice question, but I would appreciate sharing your knowledge on this one with me. Laughing
mathiaus
-moved-
Animal
It's just like any instant messaging program. You'll have a contacts list that tells you which of your friends is online, and if they send you a message, a window will pop-up with the conversation in it. You'll be able to reply and chat in this window.

It's not a pop-up like you get on the internet, it's a seperate program.
annelee21
Thank you for your response. I'm flattered that the moderator wrote back to me. I'm kind of new on the web and plan to start my website soon. Maybe I can ask you some questions and have you give me some pointers. Laughing

It says in your FAQs that Fri$s can be used to purchase real things? Do I understand this right? How does that work?
annelee21
Also, I wanted to know if it is possible to get multiple subdomains with the account that I registered. Or is it not possible?
Animal
annelee21 wrote:
It says in your FAQs that Fri$s can be used to purchase real things? Do I understand this right? How does that work?

Not usually real things. More like services such as image creating, or you can "buy" things like web templates from people.

annelee21 wrote:
Also, I wanted to know if it is possible to get multiple subdomains with the account that I registered. Or is it not possible?

You will get one subdomain like you@frih.net. You can then add on as many subdomain.you.frih.net addresses as you like, and you can buy a domain name (like you.com) from a domain registrar and host that on Frihost as well, but you will only ever have one you.frih.net domain.
izcool
Hello there,

Welcome to FriHost, as it looks like you're a newer user. I hope FriHost satisfies what you need with your web hosting.

I started out with AIM because I also had friends (mind you, this was several years ago) who were urging me to sign up and talk in real-time with them.

Shortly after I installed AIM, I met other people who were using MSN Messenger and said that AIM is no good. I started to catch onto MSN and liked it much better over AIM and Yahoo! (I have all 3 accounts, AIM and Yahoo! I use rarely, but MSN all the time).

If you didn't know this earlier, but MSN Messenger is being renamed to "Windows Live Messenger" shortly after the beta stage is over for the next version of the program.

This is a website that I would recommend to you if you're creating a site and want to post your online status on :

http://www.onlinestatus.org/

A lot of people I know use a program called "Trillian" that combines Yahoo!, AIM, and MSN Messenger into one program, instead of having 3 sit in your task bar. I use the original MSN Messenger program because I don't need to use all three at once. It's your call on what you would like to use, but that's only from what I know.

- Mike.
annelee21
hi mike,

thanks so much for your recommendation. i'll definitely check it out.

this is very helpful to me.

also, since you're a frihoster....i'd like to ask you this -

i've requested a free webhosting account but it's not been processed yet.
i've built my website on a software called WebEasy and I'm eager to get to publish it.

when frihost gives me access to my account, will i be able to put my website there or would it be a blog on their template?

cheers,
anne
izcool
Hello again,

It's been quite a long time since I registered my FriHost account, and I think things have changed since I was approved. It takes them some time to process all of the new account requests. If they think that you are going to use the space worthwhile, then they'll more than likely accept you.

It's been several years since I've done websites through a program, so I don't know how to respond to that truthfully. I am one who programs my websites from scratch - I code them - line for line. I've done several in my day and I am proud of them for what they are and what their purpose is.

Could anyone else reading try to help her out ?

- Mike.