FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Eragon

codederek
Has anyone heard of a book called eragon?

Editorial Reviews
Quote:
Amazon.com
Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

From Publishers Weekly
While exploring the forest, 15-year-old Eragon discovers an odd blue gemstone—a dragon egg, fated to hatch in his care. According to PW, "The author takes the near-archetypes of fantasy fiction and makes them fresh and enjoyable, chiefly through a crisp narrative and a likable hero." Ages 12-up. (Apr.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
--This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Its prolly one of my favorite books that i have read so far... I think it even beats Harry Potter!
Game Fortress
The sequel, Eldest was much better in my opinion.
Xcelerate
I like that book and its sequel, despite the masses of people that love to hate the book, yet oddly, also read the sequel.

I just hope the movie is good. From shurtugal.com, it looks as though the Urgals are going to be people in facepaint, which I sure hope they aren't.
Scoria
oh yeh, I love it.
The first book is amazing, the best book I ever read. The 2nd book kind of sucks though, and the 3rd hasnt comen out yet...

I really hope that the 3rd one will be good, but well, will see...
papamurphy
These books aren't great, but they are good reads for fans of Harry Potter(big HP fan myself). I read the first one on a long road trip, and it held my interest, but I have yet to read the second. I think that Christopher Paolini has a chance to become a very good fantasy writer in the future, but is suffering from being a new writer (not enough experience) and therefore also suffering some big cliches in the fantasy genre. I will however keep reading his books as they are put out, because like I said, I think he will grow to become a great fantasy author.
Game Fortress
Well, in my opinion, its obvious that Paolini didnt have much experience in writing when he came out with Eragon. Eldest was much better because he had gotten a little better at it by then.
codederek
I think this book outruns harry potter by a long shot...
Artemis11
Oh, don't get me started on Eragon. Surprised Eragon/Eldest/(book 3) are some of my favorite books I've ever read, and I read a lot. Razz Although some of the writing in Eragon (even worse in the version Christopher published independantly) can be a bit shoddy, the story and passion he shows is amazing. I read both books about 2 times a month I guess (I'm big on rereading books) and never get tired of them.

I'll see the movie, but as a hardcore fan, I doubt I will like it at first. If its anything like the Fellowship of the Ring was for me, I hated it in Theaters, then when I stepped back and looked at it as the movie based loosly on the book, not a word-for-word scene-for-scene copy, I loved it. I've seen (literally) hundreds of pictures from the set, and a special preview of the film (not supposed to be released, though you can see it on YouTube) So far, it doesn't seem to be tied very tightly to the books, but they can do a lot with special effects (ILM is doing them too, so that should be good).

The first trailer will be released with X3 at the end of the month, so you can expect it online a few days before X3 hits theaters.

-Artemis (make sure to visit http://www.shurtugal.com for more information, they have awesome podcasts including interview with Christopher Paolini, and free stuff they give out every few episodes.)
reiniertje14
Yes Eragon is my number one, I love fantasy and this is a perfect book in that genre. But I don't think i'm gonna look that movie I like the books, like Harry Potter, the books are much better than the movies.
Nameless
My brother has read Eragon, but I haven't gotten around to it. Whatever else is good about the book, however great it is, it has the STUPIDEST name. Seriously. It's just Dragon... but with one letter, moved forward in the alphabet, by one. [sarcasm]Oh yeah, real creative there [/sarcasm]
Ljsk
It's on my to read list. A long list.
codederek
yea the name might not be creative but it has a great story line... I think it's worth the time to read it. I really don't like the atk on religion through
Shewolf
Ljsk wrote:
It's on my to read list. A long list.

Mine too.. Looking forward to see the movie though Smile
Victus13
I wasint so sure when I first picked the book up, but I polished it off in a mere 8hours. I picked it up, and just couldnt find the willpower to put it down.
I have to say Eragon has made it's way up there in my favorites for Literatire. The book was very well written, and extremely enjoyable. Though I dont like comparing books all the time, I think it did a damn good job, and is well worth the 10$ you shell over for the Softcover Version.

I dont know why, but I didnt really bother checking if the sequel was out yet. Now, I have to go find myself a copy.
jipmerite
I have not read the books. I have a friend who is a huge fan of the series. We are both looking forward to the movies though. I just got fed up of these fantasy dragon stories after re-reading Harry Potter books hald a dozen times. Smile
Kath
Yeah, I think i might give it a go.
I have read and reread the potters too many times now, with some desperate hope that they will last me until the next one comes out. Eragon fans seem to also be Harry fans so I will probably enjoy them. I love epic fantasy movies, but i like to have read the book first in most cases. That was certainly the case with the Potters and the LOtRings anyway. You have convinced me.
-Kath
Raijenki
Anyone reading the Vol. 2 of the book? /o/
I buyed it yesterday, i already start...

Eragon rocks, we will have a Eragon movie...
Avorroch
I`ve found an nice review about it.

Publication history

Christopher Paolini was home schooled, and graduated from high school at the age of 15. He and his parents felt he should wait before attending college and meanwhile he began writing Eragon. His parents believed in his book so much that they began helping him find a publisher; when no publisher would take the book, his parents decided to self publish and thus formed their own publishing company, Paolini International, LLC - literally "betting the farm" to do so. The book was then discovered by Alfred A. Knopf and was republished under Knopf in 2002. With Knopf as the publisher, Eragon became a success and a New York Times Bestseller.
Plot Summary
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.

Eragon takes place in a land called Alagaësia, which is ruled by the despotic king Galbatorix. He was once a Dragon Rider, but went mad after his dragon was killed and he was denied another by the council. Dragons were once involved in a partnership with the elite Dragon Riders, and together they kept peace in the land. Galbatorix, along with the Forsworn (a group of 13 riders that betrayed the rest of the order), crippled the order of the Riders. For years many believed that dragons were extinct.

The main character of the novel is Eragon, a 15 year old boy who lives with his uncle Garrow and cousin Roran on their farm, 10 miles from a small village known as Carvahall. While hunting in The Spine, a local range of mountains, Eragon is surprised to see a polished blue stone appear in front of him. After failing to sell or trade his find, Eragon witnesses a baby dragon hatch from the "stone", which was in reality a dragon egg. He questions Brom - the elderly town storyteller - about the ways of the Dragon Riders. After this talk, Eragon names the dragon Saphira. He raises the dragon in secret until two Ra'zac, sent by Galbatorix, come to Carvahall looking for the egg. Eragon and Saphira manage to escape by hiding in the forest, but Eragon's uncle Garrow is killed, and the house and farm are destroyed.

Eragon becomes a Dragon Rider through his bond with Saphira. He seeks revenge on the Ra'zac. Eragon and Saphira begin a journey in search of the Ra'zac, accompanied by Brom, who insists on joining them. On the journey, Eragon learns swordfighting, magic, and the ways of the Dragon Riders from Brom, who is something of an expert in these areas.

They travel through several cities, and Eragon is shocked by the way that the Empire is harming the land and its people. Finally, after obtaining information in the town of Teirm, Brom concludes that the Ra'zac reside in Dras-Leona. There, Eragon, Saphira, and Brom are lured into an ambush by the Ra'zac. Although they are rescued by a stranger, Murtagh, Brom is gravely injured and dies shortly after — but not before revealing the secrets of his past. Brom was a Dragon Rider who had a dragon, which shared Saphira's name, but was killed years before.

The new company Eragon, Murtagh and Saphira had travel in search of the hidden leagues of the Varden, a strong rebel faction which Brom had mentioned on their journey. On the way Eragon has dreams of a beautiful elf, all of which feature her suffering great pain. Eragon is captured and imprisoned in the same prison where the elf, Arya, is being held captive. Murtagh and Saphira stage a rescue and Eragon escapes with Arya. During the escape Eragon and Murtagh battle with a Shade. The fact that a Shade is walking freely in the land deeply disturbs Eragon and he suspects that Galbatorix is planning something terrible.

Eragon and his party are pursued by an army of Urgals as they travel to the Varden's fortress, hidden deep within the Beor Mountains. Once inside the fortress, Eragon learns of the pact between the dwarves, the elves and the Varden and how it was that Saphira's egg was magically teleported to the Spine. The group is at last able to rest, although an invasion by the army of Urgals is imminent.

When the battle finally begins, the Varden and dwarves are pitted against an enormous army of Urgals. During the battle, Eragon faces the Shade, Durza, whom he had recently encountered, and kills him, though he receives a serious disfiguring wound on his back. After the death of the Shade, the Urgals seem to have a spell lifted from them, and begin to fight among themselves. This gives the Varden a chance to counter-attack, routing the surviving Urgals. The story ends at the close of the battle, and we learn that Eragon will soon be sent to be taught by the elves in the sequel where he will meet Oromis, the elf who saved him from the shade.

List of characters

* Arya: An elf who was the guardian of Saphira's egg. She was imprisoned by Durza in Gil'ead on King Galbatorix's orders, and Eragon rescues her. She is the daughter of the elven Queen, Izlanzadi. Eragon is infatuated with her.

* Orik: Hrothgar's nephew; he befriends Eragon, and is his guide through Tronjheim and Farthen Dûr.

* Murtagh: Son of Morzan, who was the first of the thirteen Forsworn (betrayers of the Dragon Riders); he becomes good friends with Eragon and travels with him to the Varden's hidden stronghold. He was kidnapped after the battle with the Kull.

* Angela: A powerful witch who supports the Varden and specializes in herb-based magic. She foretells Eragon's future.

* Solembum: The werecat who lives with Angela; he helps Eragon in various parts of the book, occasionally taking human form.

* Ajihad: Master swordsman and brilliant tactician and the former leader of the Varden.

* Hrothgar: King of the Dwarves who befriends Eragon. He adopted Eragon into his clan.

* Durza: A main antagonist in the book, he was a powerful Shade who controlled the Urgal army. He was killed by Eragon, with the help of Saphira and Arya, at Farthen Dûr.

* The Twins: Twin magicians with strong magical abilities.

* Sloan: Butcher of Carvahall who hates Eragon's family. He is Katrina's father.

* Katrina: Daughter of Sloan and a romantic interest of Roran's.

* Horst: Horst is the father of Baldor and Alberich, and is a father figure to Eragon and Roran when Garrow dies. He is a blacksmith.

* Garrow: Farmer of Carvahall, Eragon's uncle, and Roran's father. He was killed by the Ra' Zac.

* Jeod: A merchant of Teirm, Jeod is Brom's old friend, and also a member of the Varden.

* The lethrblaka: The parents of the Ra'zac. They are huge bird like things and their name translates from the Ancient Language to "Leather-flapper".

[edit] Unseen characters

* Morzan: The first and the last Forsworn, he is also the father of Murtagh. Galbatorix, with the help of Morzan and the Thirteen Forsworn, conquered the Riders to become king of Alagaësia. Morzan was killed by Brom. Brom took Morzan's sword, Zar'roc and gave it to Eragon.
* Galbatorix: The antagonist, an insane, corrupt emperor who rules Alagaesia from the capital city Urû'baen with dark magic and his enslaved black dragon Shruikan.
* Selena: Jake Freezes latest girlfriend.

The Ancient Language

Main article: Ancient Language (Inheritance)

The Ancient Language, also referred to as the 'Language of Power', is the Elven language in the book that enables certain people to use magic. Because of the nature of the language, it is impossible to lie, but one can mislead, as the Elves show in abundance. Eragon uses it many times in the books. eg.Skulblaka means scale-flapper (dragon). The Ancient Language is based on Old Norse and Icelandic, but the speech characteristics are of Latin. A reference to Old Norse can be seen in the use of the word "wyrd" meaning "fate." This word can be found in classics such as Beowulf. Many words are also derived from German, such as "Welden" (forest) which is very similar to the German "Wald". The use of an 'Ancient Language' for magic in which everything has its true name can also be found in Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series. [1]

Reviews

Anne McCaffrey is quoted as saying: "Full praise to Eragon, and I want more."[2] Kenneth Oppel, best known as a children's author, found the book "depressingly uninspired... At times, the world seems so familiar you could be forgiven for thinking you were playing a CD-ROM computer game."[3]

The New York Times Book Review stated that the novel was, "for all its flaws... an authentic work of great talent."[4]

School Library Journal, while noting correctly that the book would garner many fans, added that it "does not approach the depth, uniqueness, or mastery of J. R. R. Tolkien's works, and sometimes the magic solutions are just too convenient for getting out of difficult situations."[citation needed]

Common Sense Media, a family-friendly review site, was particularly scathing, stating that, "It's not long, however, before they begin to notice the long-winded descriptions, the clichés and hackneyed dialogue, and the derivative nature of the plot—straight out of Star Wars by way of The Lord of the Rings, with bits of other great fantasies thrown in here and there. That this is a great achievement for one so young is undeniable, and many children will love it. It certainly ranks right up there with other derivative, overblown fantasies written by adults, such as Terry Brooks's Sword of Shannara series."[5]

This criticism from USAToday mirrors Common Sense Media's accusation of derivative storytelling: "The novel also owes a debt to Luke Skywalker as the teen hero trains to be a Dragon Rider while avenging his uncle's murder,"[6] as well as the fact that the book "echoes Tolkien in its pseudo-Celtic language and imagined universe of dwarfs and elves."

[edit] Eragon in other media
Movie

Main article: Eragon (film)

Fox 2000, a division of 20th Century Fox, purchased the rights to Eragon and released the adaptation of the book to film on December 15th, 2006. The movie stars were John Malkovich, Edward Speleers, Jeremy Irons and Sienna Guillory and had a budget of $125 million. It was directed by first-time filmmaker Stefen Fangmeier, who previously oversaw the visual effects for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004).

So far, the general response has been neutral - with some finding it enjoyable and others disappointed at the lack of loyalty to the original text. However, it appears those who regard the novel as a "Frankenstein of fantasy ideas" and display generally negative attitudes towards Paolini's writing have found the film version refreshing as it steers clear of being caught with Tolkein-esque ideas such as elves and dwarves. The hero's love interest, Arya (Sienna Guillory) is human in the film and dwarves are not shown at all.

X-large trailer (Theatrical I) (66MB): http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2006/eragon_022358/eragon_trlr_01_324joidfj3_dl.mov

Large International Trailer http://www.shurtugal.com/content/mandm/media/2006/october/1/eragon_intl_trailer_hi.php (http://www.shurtugal.com)

A full list of trailers and viewing links: http://www.shurtugal.com/?id=mandm/eragon/trailers

In November 2006, Avril Lavigne announced she wrote a ballad type song called "Keep Holding On" for the Eragon movie[1]. The movie is rated PG.

Video game

Main article: Eragon (video game)

A video game based on the film adaptation is also in development and will be released on the PS2, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PSP, GBA, PC and Xbox platforms. The game will be made by Vivendi Games [2] and will be released roughly a month before the film.

The game is an RPG and starts at the very beginning with Arya.
Parody

Eragon spawned an Italian parody titled Aerosol, Il Fratello Furbo Di Eragon ("Aerosol, the Clever Brother of Eragon"). It was written by Joey Luke Bandini,[3] the pseudonymn of the Italian writer Gianluca Bedini. Following (more or less) the plot of Eragon’s story, the book is about a young boy named Aerosol who studies mycology as a hobby. He finds an egg in the forest while he is searching for mushrooms. Thinking he has discovered a new species of fungus, he takes the egg home, where he understands, with the help of a telepathic fish called Matsugoro, the true nature of the egg, and awaits for the birth of the giant pink musk turkey called Ceesyra (the blue turkey called Palmyra pictured in the front cover of the book doesn't take part in the story). Aerosol, with the two animals and a personal trainer called Cyro, takes part in an adventure in which he learns to use his cabalistic magic power to fight against Migarbangliorix, the Emperor of Analgesya. During his adventure Aerosol and his company meet a lot of characters who are parodies of most of the characters of Eragon.
illegalhost
Watched THE MOVIE!! YEAH!! i tell you, YOU MUST WATCH IT!!! Excellent STUFF!! Saphira is just SOOOOOOOOOO cute!! Especially when she was stil la hatchling, just hatched from her egg. AWWwww...... This dragon is the MOST realistic one i have ever watched man!! No i don't get any commission from saying that. Please just go and watch it!! You would be hooked by it!! I dont think that ladies would like it though there are some scenes that the ladies may like, such as our handsome young British hero. And of course guys, ahem, MEN, will LOVE every moment of it, simply because there are DRAGONS and fightings involved too! Of course i think we all know how the story is like. Boy finds dragon, dragon and boy help beat da hell outa bad guy. And you must check out the CGI effects too. damn nice man. Won't disappoint at all.. Looking forward to the SEQUEL!!!! Don't miss it!!
arya7D7
i personally cant wait to see how they butcher it in the movie because you know they will...
TymonBlueSword
I love the Inheritance books.

I saw the movie on Saturday (three days ago) and it was entirely different from the book.
It was a good movie, but was nothing like the book. Arya didn't even have pointed ears! There were no dwarves! Explain that!
Coclus
Eragon is pretty good I gotta admit..You guys gonna watch the movie?
RoughitforGreen247
I have kind of mixed feelings about this book. On the one had, its a fairly engaging story and world Paolini creates for the reader. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what I like about it, but I can stomach it.

***** Spoilers ******

I really had trouble liking some of the characters, especially Brom in the first book. I hate it when an author sets up a scene to show one character as really wise or brilliant and the character just comes off sounding like an idiot. For example, when he and Eragon are sparring with the sticks, he begs to come along with the dragon, right? Then he just beats Eragon into the ground and says, I'm your enemy. Kind of a wtf moment for me, to be honest. If I were Eragon I would have ditched him in a second, and there goes the Varden's chances at, well, anything, right?

****** End Spoilers ******

I guess I just hate social unrealism. I'm cool with the magic and stuff, but when a character behaves illogically, I just get fed up.

I tried to read the 2nd, but only got a chapter or so in before I threw up my hands in disgust.
earthendenim
I picked up the book completely on a whim the summer it came out in paperback, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. No, Paolini isn't up to a Tolkien-esque level--nor may he ever be.

As someone who's read my fair share of fantasy, I can always appreciate a new spin on magic, powers, etc. I think Paolini provides that with the language he creates, even if his plot isn't terribly original. I await the final Inheritance book eagerly.

Unfortunately, I saw the trailers for the movie and prepared to be disappointed--the director (Fangorn?) is obviously good at effects and fire and blowing up cars, but this was his first attempt at directing a film. I haven't seen it nor do I plan to, as I've had friends who enjoyed the novels warn me away.
johnkimb5
I have the book Eragon, but I want to ask: Is it really that interesting and is it worth it to read it?
earthendenim
In response to JohnKimB:

As per my above, I really enjoyed the book, and I picked it up without knowing anything about it. It's a fairly fast read (you don't have to slog through it, like I did with Jordan's Wheel of Time or even some of Tolkien.

It's an interesting story, engaging characters, and not too complex to follow. I suggest you give it a try; if, after the first few chapters, you hate it, you don't have to finish it, after all![/i]
zjosie729
I love Eragon! It's quite long so I didn't get to finish it before the it is due (I checked it out in the library). I would agree, it, in someways, beats Harry Potter.
rileytg
Eragon is a great book. I have read the it and Eldest. I am quite impatiently waiting for the third and final book. I have not seen the movie for myself, but i have heard so many times that it really sucked. Also, it got awful reviews. Anybody here think the movie was good?
reddishblue
Its a good book, but not better then Harry Potter, Eragon feels like a cut and pasted book from many Fantasy books but not really to original on its own part
divinitywolf
Eragon is definitely better than Harry Potter. Its one of the best books i've ever read. The film was ok but it missed a lot out. The book, although copied some things, is quite a success for christopher paolini. I'm waiting in great anticipation for the third and last book in the trilogy. I think it'll be the best book yet.
oxwood
I want to read all the book of series, but i'm too sluggish to go to library or bookstore :d