FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

S-ATA and ATA together ?

martindecorte
Hello.

I just bought a new motherboard, Asrock K8 Upgrade. This motherboard supports S-ATA and ATA hard disks. I'm using it successfully with my IDE drives.

My question is : is it possible to use an S-ATA hard disk together with my IDE drives ?

Thanks.
Sebaci
Why not? You have ATA controller and SATA controller so you can use ATA and SATA HDDs. But make sure the system partition is on the faster disk
martindecorte
Thanks ! I'll consider buying an S-ATA hard disk then.

I was wondering because I used to own my K7S5A motherboard, which supports SDR and DDR (2 slots of each), but not together. That's the "why not". Now you gave me this answer, I'm not afraid anymore !
ForceRun
Yea, DDR and DDR2 have a different pin count. And all the Memory has to work to match up speed wise. But Hard Disk you can use any setup that your hard disk will support. I got one IDE 320 GB and 4 Sata2(3ghz) 250GB Drives all internal, and i might get some usb external drives in the future here.
psycosquirrel
That is a LOT of storage space.

I have 55Gb on 2 drives. You have 1.3Tb now... 23 times what I have Shocked
altec
martindecorte wrote:
Hello.

I just bought a new motherboard, Asrock K8 Upgrade. This motherboard supports S-ATA and ATA hard disks. I'm using it successfully with my IDE drives.

My question is : is it possible to use an S-ATA hard disk together with my IDE drives ?

Thanks.

Yes. My set up is SATA as the primary boot drive and the ATA as the secondary drive. The set up is kind of tricky. You need to enable the SATA boot rom from the BIOS and disable the boot sequence of ATA, if you want the SATA to be your boot drive. However, it's not that simple. You need to unplug the ATA drive first so that you can install the SATA drive as bootable drive as Windows keeps on choosing the ATA drive as Primary boot drive. You also need to have a SATA driver for Windows XP when you install windows on the SATA drive.

Well, good luck.
Sebaci
altec wrote:
martindecorte wrote:
Hello.

Thanks.

Yes. My set up is SATA as the primary boot drive and the ATA as the secondary drive. The set up is kind of tricky. You need to enable the SATA boot rom from the BIOS and disable the boot sequence of ATA, if you want the SATA to be your boot drive. However, it's not that simple. You need to unplug the ATA drive first so that you can install the SATA drive as bootable drive as Windows keeps on choosing the ATA drive as Primary boot drive. You also need to have a SATA driver for Windows XP when you install windows on the SATA drive.

Well, good luck.

But id doesn't mean that it's recommended to set the SATA disk as a primary disk. ATA and SATA disks have similar performance and it's possible that ATA drive can be much faster so ATA is then primary
martindecorte
Thanks for all your answers.
If SATA isn't more powerful than ATA, then why do we need SATA ? Just in order to get more than 4 drives ?
Sebaci
martindecorte wrote:
Thanks for all your answers.
If SATA isn't more powerful than ATA, then why do we need SATA ? Just in order to get more than 4 drives ?

Theoretically SATA is faster than ATA, but the HDDs can't use even a half of total bandwidth of ATA, so there is no difference in read and write speed. SATA is better because you don't have to set jumpers, also the cable of SATA is narrow and so it doesn't make the cooling harder
ZenFountain
Hard drives have hardly improved over the last 5-6 years. As Sebaci said, SATA and SATA II bring much more overhead into the fold but your average 7200 RPM hard drive has improved little over the years besides having more capacity for less money. I have a Western Digital Raptor and it's faster, but not really fast enough for me to say to myself "wow what an improvement." over my old 7200 RPM drive.

I have ran into one little issue running a SATA drive in conjunction with a regular ATA drive. When I install Windows I have to unplug my ATA drive, otherwise when I get to the part of the installation where you select what drive / partition to install windows on my SATA Raptor does not even come up on the list, but when I unplug the ATA drive before hand it does and away we go. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my motherboard, the Nforce chipset, Windows, or an general issue with using ATA and SATA drives, but it could happen and be a little confusing.
tamilchild
If you have SATA Controller you can connect SATA hard disk in your system ..