FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AJAX or servlets?

rohan2kool
As for my current applications, AJAX and php are complying with all my needs as a servlet would. In that case, functionality being the same, which one should i go for: servlets or my cuirrent combination i.e AJAX/PHP in terms of security, reliability, bandwidth usage, client-compatibility and system resources on both sides, client and server.

P.S: can u please also give me the exact meaning of a servlet? Can a server contact a client via a sevlet any time during the session.

thanks.
nikolic
AJAX already working, don't fix it if it already does what you want it to.

Servlets really refer to application design rather than technology. For instance, if you are going to have an application do taxes, you can either have it built as a whole, or you can send responsibilities of the application to different servlets, possibly in different places, possibly in an easily portable or already compiled format.

A servlet is a marketing term and buzzword for this kind of design, but it is usually used in the JSP world, but you can use this design in any language.
Shirish
i think AJAX are new trends

thoug hthere are serious bugs in AJAX and it is prone to security threats at the present stage,...

If you are comfortable at servelts jut use them

But if your app is a real time like web desktop app,
just use AJAX as it is very fast and handles the thingsd in a good manner

But initail hiccups and failure problems are some of the disadvantages..

as seen in orkut or gmail..
Agent ME
I've never heard of any security or other serious problems with AJAX... all ajax does is grab data behind the scenes - if there's a security problem, then it has to do with the coding of the underlying system and not on AJAX itself... that'd be like blaming a site problem on the whole structure of the HyperText Transfer Protocol...