FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SOUND WOES

abhishek_2410
MY FRIEND HAS A CELERON 533MHZ SYSTEM WITH I810 CHIPSET AND 64 MB RAM.THE OS INSTALLED ARE WIN 2000 AND WIN 98 SE.THE PROBLEM IS THAT THERE IS NO SOUND COMING OUT FROM THE SPEAKERS.IN THE OS IN THE DEVICE MANAGER IT SHOWS THAT THE "MULTIMEDIA CONTROLLER" DEVICE IS INSTALLED AND WORKING PROPERLY.I HAVE CHECKED THE SPEAKERS AND OTHER SETTINGS LIKE MUTE ,VOL CONTROL ETC. AND THEY ARE ALL RIGHT.EVEN I HAVE UNINSTALLED THE DRIVERS OF SOUND (AUDIO) AND INSTALLED THEM AGAIN BUT OF NO USE.THERE ARE NO PROBLEM DEVICES SHOWN IN DEVICE MANAGER.I THOUGHT IT MAY BE DUE TO SOME OS SETTINGS SO I INSTALLED WIN XP BUT STILL NO SOUND.I SUSPECT THAT MY INTEGRATED SOUND CARD OF MOTHERBOARD IS FAULTY.CAN IT BE TRUE THAT INTEGRATED AUDIO OF MOTHERBOARD IS FAULTY AND THE MOTHERBOARD WORKS WELL WITHOUT SOUND?CAN INSTALLING A NEW SOUND CARD AS PCI DEVICE ON THE MOTHERBOARD SOLVE MY PROBLEM?WILL IT WORK WELL ON THE FAULTY MOTHERBOARD?IF YES,PLEASE NAME SOME GOOD ECONOMICAL SOUND CARDS THAT I CAN BUY.PLEASE ALSO MENTION THE PRICE.ANYONE PLEASE HELP.

Animal wrote:
Please do not use all-caps in your posts.
Bones
This isnt a Gateway machine i it? If it is, does it have Boston Acoustics speakers? The only reason I ask is because I have seen many ppl have the same issue with that hardware combo, because they are digital only speakers, and need the SB Live digital driver from the Gateway website.

Also what kind of sound card are you working with? It doesnt sound right for device manager to just say 'multimedia controller'
Donutey
check the sound by plugging in headphones into the "out" jack of your sound card. If it works, then your speakers are the problem, if not then your sound card.
abhishek_2410
i have checked it by using headphones,and they dont work.
also i am using a set of two stereo speakers.i am not using any sound card but only the integrated audio which came along with the motherboard integrated on the same pcb of the motherboard.
Guyon
OK, Lets eliminate 1 item at a time.

Do the speakers work with another PC? Can you borrow a sound card and try it? Being a hoarder I have loose parts always laying around, do you have a hoarder friend? Smile
On-board sound have codes that can turn on and off sound. Could it have been turned off?

Once final thought do you have tech support where you bought the PC? How old is it?
eki_sp
There is front audio connector on the motherboard , consisting of 9 pins looking like this:

000_0

__+_+ the + marked pins has to be shotcircuited in order to get the sound to the 3.5mm speaker connector at the back. this is done in order to enable front headphone socket to disconect rear connected speakers when plugged in. first 4 pins are for front microphone socket and the output L and R channel pins are divided by missing pin.
If in doubt consult your M/B manual ...
kronso.23
I have recently come across a problem like this, one possibility could be that the output device isn't your soundcard, I was scratching my head for weeks trying to get audio to work. if you go into sound devices in your control panel, click on the audio tab, and make sure in the drop down menus it isn't set to something like your dialup modem. for some odd reason this happened, just all of the sudden it switched to this option, I am clueless as to how this happened though, before you go about ripping out your motherboard and other contents, you might want to try this first. good luck, and please let me know if this helps! as I know many people have this problem with winxp.
abhishek_2410
the speakers work perfectly with another system.i dont have any sound card which i can borrow and also i m not having my mb manual.the pc is about 3 yrs old.ALSO i have checked the output for sound in the bios it has got only two options-onboard and pci.earlier it was set as onboard and now also i have set it as onboard.i also checked with pci but still no sound.