FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think about cheap labor

Mgccl
I never even thought about that kind of stuff untill these days when I acually need people to do some jobs for me...
I go though some American and Euroupe Freelancer sites... they cost like... hundreads or dollars...
Finally... I thought about go to Chinese websites and found people...
they cost about 200 yuan per work(a about 10 hour art work)
that's worth less than 30 dollars....
So... I think... cheap labors are benifiting me each day of our life and... I love find people to do work for less
TeenZine
I think it is sad pittiful but True it is a fact of live inlgall citizens work much cheeper. Which reminds me of this joke every time:

Why do mexicans eat Tammalies on Christmass?

So they can have something to unrap HA HA! Evile me like the joke and my posts please donate to me ! It makes me Very Happy
TonkPilz
well for ppl like u who need workers its a gold mine but for the actual workers its a nightmare. especialy in china whuld you work 12 houers a day 7 days a week for under 30 dollers and its not 30 dollers an houers.

no if im gona need any ting done im gona use swedish muscle and blood
alkady
Outsourcing is great, In Montreal, The minimum wage a day is $7.75, If you were to outsource in third world countries, That enough to pay a person for a day's work nearly or hire atleast 6-8 person. It does hurt the local economy. But one thing I like about outsourcing is these people consider working a privilege, Not like in western countries where work is like a chore and nice pays and hefty benefits are taken for granted. These people are paid enough to live nearly, Have all sorts of benefits but yet they want more. Perhaps they should see how those third world countries workers live like, They earn a fraction of what they earn but yet they can still live a nearly well comfortable life.
dz9c
Minimum Wage here is $7.10 USD and I dont like the fact that we pay 10k for a job to make the house look good while mexicans work on it for 4 bucks an hour. The company makes way to much money!
yule
A month had about RMB1500 to be allowed, now makes money gains not well, everybody said was not?

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Mgccl
yule... your Chinese-English is..... un-understandable for most people(not me..I'm Chinese...)
But... see what I mean? 1500RMB... like $220 USD a month.... It's good because I can heir people for soooooo much less than anyone else.just think... they get less than $3000 USD a year... how low pay is that.
Jayfarer
It's exploitative and usually unethical (Depends on the employers working conditions) but has become so heavily entrenched in the system it seems necessary.
skygaia
It's not a easy question.

On one hand, Cheap labour offer many positive things to us such as cheap produce, cheap goods... But the other hand, it takes away our job from us.

I'm sure that we are living in unequal world especially, among countries.
I mean we can't treat equally between developing countries and developed countries.

some developed countries are developing by cheap labour comparing with other countries.
Indyan
TonkPilz wrote:
well for ppl like u who need workers its a gold mine but for the actual workers its a nightmare. especialy in china whuld you work 12 houers a day 7 days a week for under 30 dollers and its not 30 dollers an houers.

no if im gona need any ting done im gona use swedish muscle and blood

Actually the condition is not so terrible.
Here in India the IT workers are actually quite well paid for by Indian standards. What you are not taking into account is that everything is much cheaper over here. So their cost of living is also lower.
However, I can't speak about china.
TonkPilz
Indyan i dont konow what you make per houer ther in india
but tyr this 30 dollers for a worker 1st part of the 30 dollers goes to the middel hand (the factory or misc labor agents) then taxes on that for the exchange and the change of currency and then its the taxes for the out payment (a smal amount) plus chaina aint that cheap in reallety

ofc it varys on the cind of laiborers needed
alkady
Well eventually the world will run out of Cheap Labor. You can't expect to abuse all of this forever? Right now in third world countries, Their mentallity of thinking is behind. But as the western culture is coming into their daily lives, Their younger generation skip the transition and start thinking like a westerner.
screamingdecay
I do not agree with this form of labor, doing this leaves less jobs for us americans.
CWFwrestling
If amnesty is given to the illegals, within four years every non-unionized labor job in America will be filled by Pedro and Jose. Thank god I work in a teamster's supported union. I drive a forklift for a tissue company in PA, so I'm thinking my job is safe. I highly doubt the supervisors would like to see a forklift with hydrolics bouncing up and down the aisles of the warehouse. Wink
statusfashions
we Indians are very satisfied. They will charge you the lowest( which according to us indians are fair amount) and provide u the most satified work. We are very dedicated to our work so whatever we do is completely professional and the work provider is always satisifed.
odinstag
Sounds like exploitation to me.

Outsourcing = Selling out your fellow countrymen.

And as far as illegal labor int he US is concerned, it may cost you less, but it costs your community it's life. Illegals suck way more out of america's social system than they have ever put in. Something to the tune of 5k per illegal per year.

At 12 million illegals in the US, that makes $60,000,000,000 a year that the Legal American worker has to pay in taxes to support them.
Davidgr1200
Think about it this way. Next time somebody wants you to do a job they might look for someone else abroad who can do it for half the price. Are you willing to work for 4 bucks an hour?
sibbahz
Its a shame that people will actually work for the crap money, they do all the really boring and hard jobs and get very little for it.
Wonder how much more expensive imported items would be if they were paid UK/US wages.
adiutrix
Cheap labour is a shame to all world brands I think. When I buy EXPENSIVE Nike shoes, I expect to see 'Made in the U.S' or U.K or something so I know that my money is well spent. The poor fellas who make them for a cheap price get nothing at all, but then again everyone wants that tiny bit more money....
Mgccl
I think it's still good to have cheap labor...
sure it's making US's economic go down~
But still, when people use less money to get more things done it will boost the economy(rite... I just thinking about it...)
menhao
hi, actually I am a Chinese, I agree that cheap labor benefits many people around the world, providing them cheap products and sevices, yet as China is devoloping faster and faster, how will this situation go? We can imagine that as cheap laber take China more and more money, the living level is upgrading, this will higher the living costs, as the living costs increased, the average hiring costs will increase, so I dont think the cheap laber in China will continue for a long while.
earthchild
I believe in fair trade and fair wages. We can only begin to create a more peaceful and functional world when we stop exploiting our fellow human beings for our own benefit.

Though it seems like it is not possible to buy fair trade and put your money where your mouth is... that is just a myth.

These days your money counts for more than your right to vote. If you believe in fair wages vote with your dollars. Buy fair trade certified foods, coffee, and chocolate. (That's a good start)
CWFwrestling
menhao wrote:
hi, actually I am a Chinese, I agree that cheap labor benefits many people around the world, providing them cheap products and sevices, yet as China is devoloping faster and faster, how will this situation go? We can imagine that as cheap laber take China more and more money, the living level is upgrading, this will higher the living costs, as the living costs increased, the average hiring costs will increase, so I dont think the cheap laber in China will continue for a long while.

My guess is there will be revolution in China once people there realize Maoist communism is keeping them suppresed. Not that I should talk because even as I'm typing this the US middle class is being destroyed piece by piece. Above by the richest of rich and their buddy-buddy relationships with corporate bigwigs and from below by the illegals bringing their cancer to our country. Here's hoping both of our peoples finally have a backbone and fight back.
watersoul
Everyone wants a job done for the cheapest price, and if an individual/group of people offer a service for stupidly cheap then thats ok - like when businesses make a loss on certain contracts to attract more trade overall.
However, when the business/group of people employ someone, they should pay a minimum rate that someone can at least live on.
We have a statutory national minimum wage in the UK and before it was introduced big business said it would cost jobs. What a load of rubbish that was (and they knew it!), the truth is there is less unemployment since the introduction of the min.wage (for other reasons though), although profits were obviously hit, business dealt with it when they were forced to. Our economy is awash with money, and ethical values are more important to me than a profit margin or directors bonus.
sketteksalfa
Cheap labor drives rich companies to outsource in other countries. Like what my employer is doing now. We are doing outsource job from Advertising industries in US.
raaeft1
labour must get fair wages for quality work done or performed.
Cheap labor is available in India but the workers sometimes don't work sincerely or efficiently as they always demand something or the other. the way out is to pay fair wages to the workers so that they work honestly.
palavra
cheap laborer brings bad production.
Chris24
You get what you pay for. If you want a house built cheap, sure go ahead and hire those cheap immigrants, who will most likely put your life in danger because most of them have not gone to the proper school's or had the proper training to do the job or jobs correctly.

Now if you hire someone who is in a union then you are getting professional work done although at a higher price. But think of this, would you like the work done correctly the first time or hire the cheap labor and have it done half ass and then have to hire them back again to do the same job twice...I see it done day in and day out. Then we the professionals go in after the customer has had enough of paying for garbage work, and complain to us how much money they have spent. Sorry, lady I didn't hire the incompetent workers you used. And NO I can't give you a break on the price. If you had hired us to begin with then we could talk, but you chose the wrong and stupid route...Always burns my butt when I have to hear that junk!!!!
paul_indo
One thing I have noticed since I came to Indonesia is this.

When people talk about chaep labour and the low price of goods because of this do they do not realise that the bosses are usually millionaires driving around in the latest Mercedes.

The workers are cheap labour and live on US100 a month but the boss makes US$20,000 a month.

Cheap labour is nothing but exploitation of the poor so that the rich can enjoy cheap luxuries.
arkebuzer
Itīs hard to say something in general, since some people live udner really poor work situations.
But if they have a good boss and so on I dont think itīs very bad. After all itīs way better them making a little cash than none at all.

TeenZine: hehe, good one Smile
mstreet
I am up for cheap labour I am more concerned with working conditions though.
Chris24
arkebuzer wrote:
Itīs hard to say something in general, since some people live udner really poor work situations.
But if they have a good boss and so on I dont think itīs very bad. After all itīs way better them making a little cash than none at all.

If someone built you a house and you took the cheapest person and he did a real poor job and put your family at risk due to their incompetance would you still be saying the same thing? What if he put in a load bearing header and it fell causing someone to get hurt would you still say the same?

Think about it..............
venkateshwarans
Outsourcing work to countries like India and China makes tremendous economic sense these days. Those who outsource and who do the outsourced job do benefit. Outsourcing is a bit limited to low end tasks though.
arkebuzer
Chris24 wrote:
arkebuzer wrote:

If someone built you a house and you took the cheapest person and he did a real poor job and put your family at risk due to their incompetance would you still be saying the same thing? What if he put in a load bearing header and it fell causing someone to get hurt would you still say the same?

Are you saying that people working for less cash make a worse job and are incompetent?
Sure competence and skills affects the price, thatīs why thereīs the saying; You get what you pay for (well, most of the time).
So if you pay little cash you might not get the same quallity as if you spent more. (obvious, but it seems I have to point it out....)
If you want better stuff, then you might consider paying more!

I dont see there beeing anything wrong with people working for less cash.

Quote:
cheh
meh there's way too much panic about that cheap labour nowadays if you ask me. the thing is that those people live in much less developed countries and their income appears like fortune to them. it only seems little to us.

take Nike for example, who's biggest target of all sorsts of tree-hugers around the world. the people who work in their swetshops in Asia are the privileged ones over there! Razz everybody wants to work there and make a whole buck a day. a WHOLE buck! Shocked coz you can actually feed ALL your children for that money. sad, but without those swetshops it would be even sadder. i'm sure it will turn out for the better eventually. the question is when tho....
bdoneck
They can both help and hurt economies

They can hurt economies by putting people out of jobs that aren't willing to work for less than a living wage and by putting separation between the wealthy upper class and the poor lower class

They can also help it buy providing cheaper goods that increase the amount of buying and money circulation because more people buy them
Chris24
arkebuzer wrote:
Chris24 wrote:
arkebuzer wrote:

Are you saying that people working for less cash make a worse job and are incompetent?
Sure competence and skills affects the price, thatīs why thereīs the saying; You get what you pay for (well, most of the time).
So if you pay little cash you might not get the same quallity as if you spent more. (obvious, but it seems I have to point it out....)
If you want better stuff, then you might consider paying more!

I dont see there beeing anything wrong with people working for less cash.

Quote:

You just repeated what I said put in simpler terms. I have seen it time and again, the people used cheap labor and got screwed.....Then ended up having to pay more than double to have their problems fixed
spanx
yes cheap labour does contribute the economy of the country
it is helping the country growing in world and creating its existence and hence cope the market.
cheap labour makes the goods cheap so it will b easy to compete in the market
eday2010
Cheap ;abour to use may not necessarily be cheap labour in the country in question. It's a different society, different economy, different culture. The $30 a week someone gets in Bitchostan, while not worth the effort here, may be enough for someone to live on over there.

What the cheap labour is making overseas has to be compared to what others are making over there, not to what we make over here.
kevin briggs
there is two ways of looking at cheap labour,from the bosses side and the employee's side

the boss would like cheap labour as it cuts down on all over heads which means more profit for the company

the employee's would be againest it due to poor hourly rates and travellers taking the jobs of local people,to fund there travelling.
godam64
it's all about demand and supply of labor.
in my country you can pay $90 permonth perlabor.
we have to many labor. Mad
paul_indo
cheh wrote:
meh there's way too much panic about that cheap labour nowadays if you ask me. the thing is that those people live in much less developed countries and their income appears like fortune to them. it only seems little to us.

take Nike for example, who's biggest target of all sorsts of tree-hugers around the world. the people who work in their swetshops in Asia are the privileged ones over there! Razz everybody wants to work there and make a whole buck a day. a WHOLE buck! Shocked coz you can actually feed ALL your children for that money. sad, but without those swetshops it would be even sadder. i'm sure it will turn out for the better eventually. the question is when tho....

I can't comment on all the countries Nike have factories, but this is simply not true in Indonesia.

We hear all this stuff about how a dollar is a lot of money, it is a load of rubbish in reality.
Average factory workers in Indonesia will make about US$100 a month.
This is not a lot of money for them or anyone. They may be able to afford cheap substandard accommodation and feed there family on a deficient diet, but there is no way they will have any quality of life at all.
To go to the movies will cost a days wages for each person.
1 kilogram of meat is two days wages.
1 litre of milk is half a days wages.
School fees for one child each month are around two days wages.

Do you really think anyone can live on an income like this?
Give it a try and then tell me how happy they all are on their "dollar a day"
cybernie
personally, i'd rather get employed even with a low salary than get unemployed. here in our country, philippines, the minimum wage is about Php250 a day I think. It's a bit cheap really but due to the fact that getting a good job with higher salary grade is difficult here, many of my fellow filipinos don't mind how small or low the money they receive from their job especially now that prices on the basic commodities are getting higher.

this is one reason why many filipino professionals chose to work abroad...
Duncan Idaho
It's a matter of these things(as well):
Did you go to college/university or did you drop out?
Could you afford to go to a college?
Could you afford to go but decided not to go?
Could you not afford to, but wanted to?

And, then the matter of these:
How much would food cost you/would your living conditions require more money?
Are you willing to work for more money?
Do you have the time to work?
cybernie
educational attainment is a factor in getting a job with a higher salary but in some cases, like in our country, many of our professionals (college degree holders some with masteral, doctoral and PhD degree) couldn't land on the job or field they took due to lack of job opportunities. i've known some nurses or accountants who are into call centers.
saeleyjnr
I think we're all forgeting one major factor.
Whilst $1 & Ģ1 wont buy you much in the west. if you live in certain deprived places in the world, that Ģ1/$1 can purchase alot more. The 'real wage' with relation to the economy of that country can make in acceptable to pay people in one country, significantly less, than people in another country.

If companies like nike didnt pay these low wages, they wouldnt bother going to these countries. Which, would be a greater tragedy.

Having a job, but low wages, is far better than not having a job at all.
ehab
Cheap labour .. hmm

in short -- >

cheap labour is necesary for very small budget companies who wants to spend little and grow slowly .. simply because they cannot afford more.

cheap labour is bad for big names, because they bring in unhappy labour - thus , bad productivity.
seagullspirit
I believe that each country should protect its local work force but enforce policies that would attaract the extra needed workforce especially highly qualified workers.
TexasWes
If the world were filled with "honest business men" then cheap labor wouldn't be a problem; unfortunately, these people are few and far between. I recommend looking at your history books and then deciding if cheap labor is a great idea.
We as a nation had a practice of cheap labor that was a humane disaster--slavery. It was cheaper for the land owner to buy a human for a lifetime, than to pay them by the hour. They also benefited if the slaves had off-spring, as their cost-basis to work output shrunk. Now that we have hindsight, we can solidly agree that cheap labor via slavery was not a good idea.
During the depression, people would take to the streets every AM and stand in line for jobs--jobs that paid pennies on the dollar (cheap labor). Times were tough and 1/3 of all households did not have an income. In this global economy, I see similarities in today's world with the Great Depression. The poor from other countries are "taking to the streets" (coming to the U.S.) to find work. It's an employment answer for their immediate problem, but I think It'll end up being a financial issue for this country later on.
When you pay a higher price for manual labor items, you not only get quality, you strengthen our country's ability to be self-sufficient. THAT is something that cheap labor is costing us in the end.
docdude75
hey a jobs a job baby
Soulfire
It depends on who you are.

If you are the CEO of a company, then cheap labor is amazing because you get the same product for practically slave labor.

If you are the worker, then cheap labor is bad for two reasons:
1) Conditions are usually poor, and the wages are hardly enough.
2) American workers are losing their jobs daily to Mexicans because Mexicans can work for MUCH cheaper than Americans.
paul_indo
saeleyjnr wrote:
I think we're all forgeting one major factor.
Whilst $1 & Ģ1 wont buy you much in the west. if you live in certain deprived places in the world, that Ģ1/$1 can purchase alot more. The 'real wage' with relation to the economy of that country can make in acceptable to pay people in one country, significantly less, than people in another country.

As I pointed out previously this is not really true in the majority of developing countries.

saeleyjnr wrote:

If companies like nike didnt pay these low wages, they wouldnt bother going to these countries. Which, would be a greater tragedy.

So if they couldn't pay a dollar a day here they would prefer to pay $60 or $80 a day in the USA?
I don't think so. I'm sure $5 a day would be well within their budget.
How many pairs of $200 shoes do you have to make to get paid a dollar in a Nike factory?

saeleyjnr wrote:

Having a job, but low wages, is far better than not having a job at all.

Sure is. It's much better to eat a rat than starve too, but I would prefer beef.
The only reason they can get away with these low wages is that the workers have no choice, It's that or beg.
That doesn't justify the fact that many get very rich by the slave labour of millions of poor people.

One last thing.
If it is so cheap to live in these developing countries why do the politicians and businessmen need such high incomes to have a good standard of living. Maybe they could cut their wages a little.
eg. Governor of Bank Indonesia $20,000 per month
average worker $100 per month
godam64
cheap labor are something ordinary in my country. we export so many (millions) cheap labor to malaysia, saudi arabia, hongkong, dubai, egypt, ect. Sometimes people thinks they're slave, but actually they're no slave and the have the same rights likr we have Wink
photon
Well, there is nothing wrong with cheap labor... you get your work done for the price you can afford. and the laborer earns his lively hood. The work may not be of the best quality, but thats the premium you have to pay for the amount of money you pay.
tijn01
Unfortunately the lack of money being earnt by people in China and India is what the world seems to be running on these days.... I am against it, I believe that everyone should have the same standard of living, if we opened our borders and our wallets our standard of living would go down, but more lives would improve.
In protest to low wages for these people who are over worked and underpaid, slaves basically, I try not to by anything made in China, especially cheaps clothes, unless they are second hand... and I try to buy local food or produce wherever I can.... To me this is all we can do!
I think taking advantage of the fact that some people are more desperate to earn a dollar than we are in the waste is really sad..... your taking advantage of the luck you had being born into a higher standard of living!
They're my thoughts....
standready
TexasWes wrote:
If the world were filled with "honest business men" then cheap labor wouldn't be a problem; unfortunately, these people are few and far between. I recommend looking at your history books and then deciding if cheap labor is a great idea.
We as a nation had a practice of cheap labor that was a humane disaster--slavery. It was cheaper for the land owner to buy a human for a lifetime, than to pay them by the hour. They also benefited if the slaves had off-spring, as their cost-basis to work output shrunk. Now that we have hindsight, we can solidly agree that cheap labor via slavery was not a good idea.
During the depression, people would take to the streets every AM and stand in line for jobs--jobs that paid pennies on the dollar (cheap labor). Times were tough and 1/3 of all households did not have an income. In this global economy, I see similarities in today's world with the Great Depression. The poor from other countries are "taking to the streets" (coming to the U.S.) to find work. It's an employment answer for their immediate problem, but I think It'll end up being a financial issue for this country later on.
When you pay a higher price for manual labor items, you not only get quality, you strengthen our country's ability to be self-sufficient. THAT is something that cheap labor is costing us in the end.

Well put. As a business owner, I believe in fair wages. I am against cheap (basically, slave) skilled labor. I am also against paying absurd wages for unskilled labor.
paul_indo
The reality is that in developing countries even very low wages are equivalent to a fortune by western standards so western companies have no excuse for paying $1 or $2 a day. The products are generally sold in high income markets so why are the wages paid below any acceptable standard in the countries where the goods are sold?

And I don't mean in $ values, I mean in standard of living comparison.

Would Europeans or Americans put up with people working in a factory in their own town who could not afford to send their children to school and only feed them on a diet far below the required nutritional value required for a growing child? Or even see those children go hungry when the money runs out?

Some will say that there are many westerners who go hungry also and this is true to some extent. But no westerner who works 12 hours a day six days a week will go hungry, or his family. In fact most westerners would not be permitted to work so many hours a week due to labour laws.

Cheap labour is basically slave labour in most developing countries and if you want to argue about it go and have a look for yourself, I think you would change your mind very quickly if you lived a week or two with one of these families.