FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any GIMP users here?

GIMP vs PS
GIMP
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Photoshop
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Both
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

Commando_Sondre
I was just wondering, since Photoshop is almost everywhere: How many on FriHost are using GIMP? I do, because I don't wanna crack the program. I obay the law. Very Happy

Is it just me here thats uses GIMP. I suppose n0obie4live uses it...
benjad
GIMP rocks (in that it is freeware). I use it a ton.

The GUI takes a lot of getting used to, I think it would be better if the whole thing ended up in once document window... I spend a lot of time finding options... Masking has a few quirks as well.

But it's free, and feature rich. (Relatively stable too!)
Sebaci
Oh, yeah, I use it. The design of my site is made in gimp
Rocky3478
I dabble in it on occasion. But I have CS2, so no real need for it. I do like the GIMP's layout though. Smile
Xeniczone
I use gimp sometimes.

You don't need to break the law to get adobe imageready. It has almost as meny features as photoshop.

just download the photoshop cs2 trial of adobes website and then when photoshop expires imageready will not. So you can contiune to use imageready even when photoshop has expired. It is really cool for anybody looking for a legal way to get adobe.
{name here}
I used to use the GIMP, then I got fireworks... It has the tools right, but the seperate window interface is a bit clunky for my tastes...
bgbg
If you are using linux, separate windows shouldn't be a big problem: just get a windows manager that supports windows tabbing (like openbox, i think).
Xeniczone
Yeh, gimp came with my Linux Mandrake 10.0 I think it is called madriva now.
martindecorte
I use GIMP for all things paint can't handle. And since I have very basic needs, paint is often enough !

When I need something in particular with GIMP, I just ask my best friend google, and he gives me a howto Wink
Donutey
I pretty much always use the Gimp, and have used it for all the logos on my site and in my sig. The most important thing is that it's pretty stable, functional, and free.
corey
I've been using gimp for quite a while now. I like to use as many cross-platform products as I can, so that I don't have to learn a new software to do exactly the same thing, regardless of whether I boot into Windows, FreeBSD, or Linux.
ehunter
Yeah, GIMP rocks

I started using GIMP 2 years ago in uni where software copyright is very strict. I had to learn it for my sake Cool

Now, with portable GIMP [href="http://portableapps.com/apps/photos_design/image_editors/portable_gimpl], I bring it with me everywhere.

Photoshop users have advantage of pre-designed filters. Any one can suggest good filters/plug-ins site for GIMP Question

Thanks
quartz
Im using GIMP sometimes, but it is not as easy as Photoshop.
Donutey
Commando add a poll to this topic... it would be interesting to see what # of people use Gimp vs PS.
ocalhoun
I use the gimp of course!
Photoshop's extra features don't compensate for the extra price.
Here's an example:
Arnie
I use GIMP if I want to do some advanced image editing... which isn't often though. Usually I make avatars with GIMP and stuff like that.
varun_dodla
I use gimp occasionally when I'm working in Linux but still feel Photoshop is cool and more easy to use.....also more amount of tutorials are available in case of photoshop compared to Gimp. What I dont like about Gimp is that different windows are not docked inside a single main one as in photoshop.
Anywayz both hav their own advantages though.Hey the effects available in Gimp as filters are cooollll....the "Flame Renderer" especially.
snowboardalliance
I don't do much with graphics but I always use the GIMP when I do. It's pretty awesome.
Zuwiki
benjad wrote:
GIMP rocks (in that it is freeware)

Hey hey, it's not freeware, it is something called "open source". Much better than freeware. Really, next time you want a free piece of software, don't just get it royalty free, get it free as in freedom.
tony
dude i love gimp! the effects are so awesome! and it loads about 20x faster than photoshop. open source all the way!
budazz
i have gimp but i never used it since i can do it on photoshop but gimp is and that is cool... Very Happy
psadornas
The features that ship with GIMP are simply amazing.

It is definitely a good photoeditor, imageeditor. And hey its all free..

Real great!
Commando_Sondre
Sorry for my delay. The internet back home crashed again. But I have added the poll...
GIMP for teh win!
Commando_Sondre
Bump... Where are all the GIMP users?
filterchild
Gimp user right here. Been using Gimp so long that I've actually found that it's more difficult to use Photoshop. I've never had a problem with Gimp lacking a feature that Photoshop has (can anybody cite examples of features Gimp is missing?).

For vector work, though, I use Inkscape. Anybody else heard of that one?
TheGeek
I use photoshop CS2 most of the time, but i have messed around with GIMP and would love to learn it better because i really just havent sat down and learned it....i should do that.
Phil
While we're on the subject of GIMP, I want to point out a really good website for GIMP users. It's called GIMPTALK.
One problem with GIMP, In my opinion, has been the lack of available Resources. Fireworks and Photoshop had tons of support and tutorial sites. Not to mention a fair amount of literature.
Does anyone here feel the same?
TheGeek
As a user of both, i totally agree. I use Photoshop a lot more than GIMP simply because of the lack of documentation on simply how to use the program. In contrast learning Photoshop, as confusing as it is at first, only took me about a week of just free time play to totally figure out and manuever around it like a pro. I wish GIMP had tutorials and documentation that was this exact and clear.
Phil
Believe it or not, there is a GIMP 2.2-2.4 book coming out. Technicnally, it's out now, but they are having some trouble shipping problems. Read about it here!
I've already ordered mine from Amazon and it should receive it in about 2 weeks.
To my knowledge, it's the only book about the latest GIMP.
eternalwarriors
i think photoshop is the best app.
i can do everything i want.
There are no problems
i use photoshop cs 2

mfg
Phil
Phil wrote:
Believe it or not, there is a GIMP 2.2-2.4 book coming out. Technicnally, it's out now, but they are having some trouble shipping problems. Read about it here!
I've already ordered mine from Amazon and it should receive it in about 2 weeks.
To my knowledge, it's the only book about the latest GIMP.

Beginning GIMP just came in this morning! The first thing that I noticed is all the example pictures ARE IN COLOR!

I've purchased a couple of GIMP books in the past, covering 1.0 or 1.2 and they were both in black and white. To me that really took away from the purpose of having an example.

Now I just need the time to sit down and read it.
phinguyen
i've been a graphic designer since i was 13 and mess'd with photoshop practically since ps 2.o, i'm currently lead designer for a colorado based graphic company and for some reason i've never heard of GIMP =P i should look it up. i'm assuming its purely a masking program with layers. eheheh, how does everyone like it compared to photoshop and paint shop pro?
Phil
Quote:

i've been a graphic designer since i was 13 and mess'd with photoshop practically since ps 2.o, i'm currently lead designer for a colorado based graphic company and for some reason i've never heard of GIMP =P i should look it up. i'm assuming its purely a masking program with layers. eheheh, how does everyone like it compared to photoshop and paint shop pro?

I'd be the first to say I'm not a professional graphics designer- hell, I'm hardly a novice. So I can only repeat what I've read and heard from other sources.
Proponents of GIMP claim that it's a very viable, inexpensive option to Photoshop. It was designed as a Photo editing program for Linux, but has been ported to Windows.
Early versions of GIMP for windows where very buggy. The later models are very compatable. You can design your own scripts, I guess like plug-ins in Photoshop, and even use many Photoshop plug-ins with GIMP.

I get a little miffed when GIMP is compared as a "Cheap Photoshop Imitaion". It wasn't designed as such. It was made to be graphics program for an alternate operating system.
I've tried a couple of cheap graphics programs and they have failed miserably
All I can say is GIMP has managed well as the graphics tool for the images on my sites.
corey
I have to agree with that. I played with Photoshop (and Gimpshop - Gimp with a Photoshop-like interface) and the newer Paint.net and I found Gimp to be easier to use without instructions. That's probably another reason why I stick with it.