FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

** Frihost Forums FAQ **

James007
1. Global Questions
Why do we have to stay active on the forums?
What does "being active on the forums" actually mean?
Which languages are allowed on my website?
Am I supposed to put a link to Frihost on my website?
Does this host support .htaccess files?*

2. Your hosting request
Where can I request hosting?
Why do I need 5 posts before I can request hosting?
Can I apply for a second hosting account?
Can I have hosting with my own domain name?
My account hasn't been activated yet, why?

3. Board related questions
What are the rules concerning signatures?
What is the thing you call "spam"?
Can I make a double post / crosspost?
What are "Points"?
What are "Frih$"?

4. Hosting related questions
Where can I get a free domain?
What are the e-mail settings?
How do I reach my cPanel / directadmin?
Do you have a demo account?
What are your name servers (DNS) and how should I use them?
How do I install a content management system on my site?
Can I put videos on my site?*
Can I put my own ads on my website?*
Can I have a board on my website?
Can I run a shopping cart on frihost?*

* Thanks to Blaster
James007
1. Global Questions
Q: Why do we have to stay active on the forums?
First of all, we need to cover our costs. Instead of placing advertisements on your websites, we place them on our own website.
Of course, this is not the main reason we require forum posting. You will most likely see that after posting a bit, you will start to enjoy posting on our forums. Without the original requirement, this would have never happened.
And with an active community, every user will get a quick response to his questions and problems.

Q: What does "being active on the forums" actually mean?
We understand by "being active", that you visit our forums regularly and post something from time to time. A common mistake made by some users is that we appreciate quantity over quality. Quality posts tend to give a healthy orientation to the discussion and make our forums a place where people like posting. Posts without a clear use are thus not allowed.
Your 'activeness' is measured by Points. Negative Points mean that you are not active enough. You will get 2 warnings before your account may be canceled. After a cancellation due to inactivity you may always request a new account when you're back.
The calculation of the Points is made that way that every user who posts regularly will never reach negative Points. Once you reach the maximum number of posts, it may take several months before an account cancellation is even considered; so there is no need to worry about your account unless you plan to never come back.

Q: Which languages are allowed on my website?
Every language is allowed on your website. However, you need to be able to understand and write some basic English on our forums.

Q: Am I supposed to put a link to Frihost on my website?
You certainly don't have to link to us, it still remains your own website. However, we do appreciate it, if you would link back to us.

Q: Does this host support .htaccess files?*
Yes, Frihost supports .htaccess files.
James007
2. Your hosting request
Q: Where can I request hosting?
At the top of the forum main page there's a link to the account page:

or
You can follow this link.

Q: Why do I need 5 posts before I can request hosting?
First of all, this is to prevent abuse from hackers and spammers. Secondly, being active on our forums is required to keep your hosting. By posting 5 non-spam posts, you show to be willing to remain active in here.

Q: Can I apply for a second hosting account?
You can only have one account per IP adress.

Q: Can I have hosting with my own domain name?
At the beginning you get a subdomain address from frihost. As in: yoursite.frih.net. Once you get it, you can add as many subdomains as you want.

Q: My account hasn't been activated yet, why?*
Please have some patience. Don't expect to get your account within the day. You might want to have a look at this topic.

Please be sure that you have entered a valid email and your Forum Account activation email is not filtered by your Spam Filter. AOL was and maybe still is, blocking our emails. So, do not register using AOL emails.
James007
3. Board related questions
Q: What are the rules concerning signatures?
Your signature should be less than 50KB in filesize and it should have a maximum dimension of 600px on 175px. This is the maximum size of the WHOLE signature, not only the picture inside your signature.

Q: What is the thing you call "spam"?
  • Every post that does not have a clear significance.
  • Posts that solely consist of smilies.
  • Every off-topic promotion of your website, affiliate program, service or anything else. Your signature is there to promote your website.

Q: Can I make a double post / crosspost?
No. You may not double post. If you posted a message and you want to add something, just press the edit button and add it in your previous message.

Q: What are Points?
The Points are used to determine how active you are. You shouldn't worry about them, unless they become negative. The hosting accounts of users with negative Points may be removed. You can't trade or exchange Points.
Every day, 1 Point is deducted from all hosted members. There is also a maximum of 45 Points. Two email warnings are sent at -5 and -10 Points. Your account may get removed after those two warnings if you are still inactive.
Please note that the Points are only an indication of your activeness. Frihost uses it to indicate possible inactive users. No account is removed automatically.

Q: What are "Frih$"?
Unlike the Points, the FRIH$ are here to trade, donate, buy and exchange things. You can do whatever you want with them. You can buy and trade services/goods in the marketplace or join contests here. Frihost will also give away certain things for a specific amount of FRIH$ in the future.
James007
4. Hosting related questions
Q: Where can I get a free domain?
You won't find one on the internet. The only free tld you may get is a .info domain. They are sometimes given away in a promotion. But you always have to give your credit card number. However, domains are relatively cheap lately. You may get one for less then 10$ a year.

Please look at this topic too.

Q: What are the e-mail settings?
Both pop3 and smtp are mail.yoursubdomain.frihost.net.
Your username is the username@yoursubdomain.frihost.net and the password the one you made in cpanel for that specific username.
Please go to your Cpanel or DirectAdmin documentation if you need more documentation about this.
Please mind the .frihost (cPanel/Server 1) .frih (DirectAdmin/Server 2) difference!

Q: How do I reach my cPanel / directadmin?
DirectAdmin:
- http://cp.frih.net
- www.frih.net:2222

cPanel:
- www.frihost.net:2082
- www.frihost.net/cpanel

Q: Do you have a demo account?
Yes, go to:
- http://cp.frih.net
- www.frih.net:2222

Login with the following data:
- Username: demo_user
- Password: demo

Q: What are your name servers (DNS) and how should I use them?
ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net are our main nameservers.

You only need them if you want to host your domain(s) with us. To do this, simply go to your domain registrar(where you registered the domain). Search for a page where you can enter nameservers for your new domain. Most of the time it is called "Nameserver setup", "DNS management" or "DNS registration". There you will have to fill in ns1.frihost.net and ns2.frihost.net.

Now you have to add them in your configuration panel:
DirectAdmin:
Login -> Advanced Tools -> Domain administration -> Add a domain
Add it there.

cPanel:
Login -> cPanel -> Parked Domains
Add it there.

Q: How do I install a content management system on my site?
cPanel:

DirectAdmin:
FTP Uploader -> Upload all files
Then you need to read the installation manual.

Q: Can I put videos on my site?*
No. You may not put videos on your site without prior permission. You may get permission from here.

Q: Can I put my own ads on my website?*
Yes you can put your own ads on your site.

Q: Can I have a board on my website?
Yes you can, all FREE forum software is allowed on Frihost. (as in phpBB, SMF, and others...)
If you want to use IPB or vBulletin or other paid software, you need to ask permission to Bondings and you have to be able to submit the correct papers to him. (proving you actually bought the software)

Q: Can I run a shopping cart on frihost?*
Yes you may run a shopping cart on frihost.

If you have more questions, feel free to post them in this section.