FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dsl connection optimization prob

tormentor
I was wondern' if any 1 knows a technique to optimize adsl connection .. mine is pppoa 512k\s i only hv the speed 45k\s !
Some ppl tell me to adjust the MTU and the MRU i keep changing them untill the connection get worser!

by the way ma lan router is d-link dsl-500T

PLZ hlp u!!

[ sry for ma poor english!]
Animal
A 512Kbps ADSL connection will only be able to let you download at a maximum of about 58KB/s.

Your connection speed is quoted in kilobits per second, where you are downloading at 45 kilobytes per second. 45KB/s isn't actually too bad - depending on what you're downloading from where, you might not be able to get a faster download speed. There are network overheads that will detract from your download speeds (lag etc) but generally, your connection seems ok.

If you're worried, why not use the ADSL Speed Checker to test the max speed of your connection?
Akselus
try use flashget end set limit to 58KB/s. it works best for me, only with flashget i can obtain 80KB/s (my max, i have 640kbps).
Nyizsa
Animal wrote:
A 512Kbps ADSL connection will only be able to let you download at a maximum of about 58KB/s.

Your connection speed is quoted in kilobits per second, where you are downloading at 45 kilobytes per second. 45KB/s isn't actually too bad - depending on what you're downloading from where, you might not be able to get a faster download speed. There are network overheads that will detract from your download speeds (lag etc) but generally, your connection seems ok.

If you're worried, why not use the ADSL Speed Checker to test the max speed of your connection?

Yes, your download speed is quite ok. I have the same connection, and my average is also around that. However, when I download something from a nearby server, it may go up to 54.
But when my friend tries to download something from me, he gets it around 5-10 kbytes/s. This is strange, because he lives close to me, and we are connected to the same server. Any ideas on that one? Anybody?
AlexNet
I have around the same speed adsl connection, and I get d/l speeds normally of like 100+ kb/s

It looks to me like your isp is throttling your download speed to that, becuase mine never has that problem.
Animal
Nyizsa wrote:
But when my friend tries to download something from me, he gets it around 5-10 kbytes/s. This is strange, because he lives close to me, and we are connected to the same server. Any ideas on that one? Anybody?

ADSL stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber's Line. This means that your upload and download speeds are not the same. On a typical 512Kbps ADSL connection, the upload speed will be 256Kbps, although I have seen some on 128Kbps - check with your ISP. It's possible that if you're sharing files over an IM program like msn, your ISP is throttling the traffic because this is essentially Peer-To-Peer traffic. I don't mean that you're using a P2P network, but your computer (peer) is connecting with your friend's computer (another peer) so it's really seen as a peer-to-peer connection. A lot of ISPs intentionally slow down P2P traffic. Again, check with them.
Nyizsa
Yes, that sounds logical. I know uplink is slower than downlink, but should not be THAT slow! It wasn't a p2p connection anyway - he accessed my Apache server. But you may be right about the ISP's intervention. Thanks!
Chris24
Or you can go to www.speedguide.net and use the tools they have there. TCP optimizer works well
technology.sponge
Quote:
Yes, your download speed is quite ok. I have the same connection, and my average is also around that. However, when I download something from a nearby server, it may go up to 54.

u hav adsl 512k, depsite the 512kilobit downlaods, most plan only hav 128kilbot uploads, so you friend can only downlaod as fast as u can upload - abt 10-15kilbytes a sec