FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Aviation (planes and stuff)

ChaosMike
I for one am real interested in planes, particularly military aircraft. I'm planning to join the Air Force Academy so I can one day fly an A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog)

As a child I was raised around airplanes. Most of my family works around the airport. We frequently went on airshows. Flying is something I want to do in life and I hope I can achieve that. I'm hoping I can get a flight license before I turn 18.

So is there anyone who shares the hobby of flight? Very Happy
HoboPelican
ChaosMike wrote:

So is there anyone who shares the hobby of flight? Very Happy

:stands and waves:

Love it. I was working on my Private Pilots license when funds ran out. Hope to finish up soon.

Have you been up yet? Have a chance to get your hands on the controls yet?
ChaosMike
No, I'm planning on taking the lessons over summer. I would REALLY love to get my hands on them though. Cool

I've got all the information and there's a flight school nearby, so I'm set Very Happy
HoboPelican
ChaosMike wrote:
No, I'm planning on taking the lessons over summer. I would REALLY love to get my hands on them though. Cool

I've got all the information and there's a flight school nearby, so I'm set Very Happy

A humble recommendation. Go to the library (or bookstore) and pick up a study guide. Rod Machado's book is very good. You can get a head start on the book learning before you even get in the cockpit. Weather, Air space regs, how the instruments work, navigation. I'd suggest getting a start on that now. I passed the written exam easily with out any ground school costs just by reading that and a few other books.

Are you going to a regular school, or a club with instructors?
Thundr n Lightning
Me! I'm interested in aviation, though of the model variety Laughing

I fly rubber-powered model aircraft, built from balsa and covered with mylar film, for Science Olympiad. I don't know if anyone is familiar with Wright Stuff (or even just model aviation in general), but our planes must have a minimum weight of 8 grams including propellor and are powered by rubber bands no more than 2 grams in weight. I'm going to States on Friday, so I really need to finish my new plane up Embarassed

EDIT: results from states yesterday

I placed 5th at States with a 2 min 17 sec flight. It was a considerable improvement from the test flights in the morning when nothing was going right. I had run a few trim flights on Wednesday and easily got a 1m 30s with about 75% winds, but got to States and could barely get my plane to break 1m 30s on full winds.

But, with the help of a friend, we managed to get our act together, just barely before the assistant event supervisor tried to walk out without letting me fly with the excuse that I didn't have enough time to fly before the event ended at 1:00 (even though I definitely was ready to go before 1:00, she just didn't want me to fly Evil or Very Mad )
willancs
I HOPE TO GET MY PRIVate pilots licence as soon as i can. i love aviation and want to join the royal air force to fly fast jets like the eurofighter typhoon. all learn to fly.
ChaosMike
Same here. I'm hoping to get into the USAF, although my plane of choice would be the A-10. But if they asked me to fly one of the newer, FASTER fighter planes, I'd go for that too Cool

I was wondering if anyone has any personal information/experience with the Air Force Academy BTW, I'm applying for 2007 and any help I can get would be REALLY HELPFUL! Wink

Does anyone think having a pilot's license impresses the AFA somewhat?
mr rogers
sounds very cool, been working on my pilots liscene from 6 months ago
HoboPelican
mr rogers wrote:
sounds very cool, been working on my pilots liscene from 6 months ago

Solo yet? What you flying? I soloed in a tomahawk, but did most of my training in a cherokee. Did they rip your shirt tail off? That's still a tradition here. Cut it off and hung it on the clubhouse wall. I was soooo proud Very Happy
Dragate
I have a friend in cadets (canadian *pfft!!!*) and flys planes. He said once to me, wheter bullshit or not, he flew over New York from Ottawa with his commander or whatever jsut for fun! pretty crazy.

He's obessesed with military aircraft. He always looks like hes writting stuff and working. You go up and talk to him and he's drawing some plane. I ask about it and all I hear is "x1297 blah blabablha xg3123987..." ya... I'm not that into planes
willancs
i have had my first air experience flight, and i hope to get my private pilot licence through the air cadets, which you can do as you can fly regularly. i flew in a robin something but im not sure what - we flew over my house which was a very cool experience - i could see my sisters horse! - it looked up at me. also it was really amazing to see the beautiful forest of dean (gloucestershire, england) from the air.
HoboPelican
willancs wrote:
i have had my first air experience flight, and i hope to get my private pilot licence through the air cadets, which you can do as you can fly regularly. i flew in a robin something but im not sure what - we flew over my house which was a very cool experience - i could see my sisters horse! - it looked up at me. also it was really amazing to see the beautiful forest of dean (gloucestershire, england) from the air.

Ain't it amazing? Was this the plane? Apex makes a series of Robins in France, I think. Has anyone here soloed yet?