FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you think there are wizards and magic in this world?

Do you think there are wizards and magic in this world?
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
No
56%
 56%  [ 17 ]
Maybe...
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 30

zjosie729
I think there are wizards and magic but they just don't tell you and they use wizardry to maintain this universe.

(it's the idea from the young wizards series)
Game Fortress
It's an unfouded claim at best. Its like beliving in talking furniture. Yeah, it COULD be possible, but there is no real logical reason or foundation for the claim.
Nameless
It's a physical impossibility.

Then again, so is God.

And you don't get laughed at for believing in God.

And many people believing in God.

Thus, believing in wizards is not strange.

Just impossible.

That is all.
saratdear
I think that there may be wizards in the world. Reading all this Harry Potter makes me think so. That is .. she makes it seem so real. If there is one, like Harry Potter, I would love to go to Hogwarts.
Game Fortress
Quote:

It's a physical impossibility.

Then again, so is God.

And you don't get laughed at for believing in God.

And many people believing in God.

Thus, believing in wizards is not strange.

Just impossible.

Thats a pretty slanted comparison. This isnt the place for theological discussion, but many people claim evidence that god exists. While there may be evidence of magic too, The thread starter is using an acknowledged fiction book as the source of inspiration.

And in any case, why is it a physical impossibility?
I once heard a quote by somone I cant remember now, but it went somthing like this-- "In the future it will be impossible to distinguish Technology from Magic"
Shike
I, personally, believe that magic exists. Citing it's appearance in ALL cultures through out history is just one indication that it possible, if not probable. With this in mind, I also believe that it's effects are too subtle for the general populus to notice.
angelussum
Magic? Maybe. At least some form of it.

Wizards? I dunno - seems a bit too popular culture to me.
maxi2k6
hmmmmmmm
I like that "talking furniture" idea Very Happy
maybe they are allied to our "talking pets" Smile
ashok
Unless we have proof, we cant accept existence.. well it's the way majority of world goes with..
CrookedBlaze
I don't belive in magic, persay...

But I do think that theres something like it...like fate or karma. For some reason, this has me thinking about aliens...
meet in rio
Sorry, man, but a resounding "No".
Shike
ashok wrote:
Unless we have proof, we cant accept existence.. well it's the way majority of world goes with..

Not really, think of Religion. OF course people use the Bible as proof. There are accounts of magic, like I said, in almost every human culture, from greek to native american, to japanes, to russian.
indianinworld
I have only seen Magics and Wizards in movies and television.

And some types of magic Lively - which i can term it as "ILLUSION".

But quiet not sure, whether Magic and Wizards really exist. Personally feel that ILLUSION can be created. But not the Magic and Wizards...

keep smiling
Weslyn
*laughs*

This is an entertaining thread.

All right, I don't like cliché words like Wizards and Magic, but I know there are lots of real-life Wiccans and witches, and people who can work with and see and Aura. Look at Voodoo -real voodoo, not that Hollywood sh1te.

Ever hear of David Blaine? Click on the play button -it'll open in a new window... this one is really impressive, if not impossible. Coffee

Check out some of his stuff... it's pretty remarkable.
odinstag
Magic = Unexplored or unexplained.

We would have been wizards in the old days. with what we know now.

There are things that have not been revealed to us yet. Knowledge not gained. To explain these things away using gods or magic as an excuse, IMHO, is pretty weak minded.

Explore and master new things.
kany
Yeah Ofcourse there is magic in this world . Not though as depicted all the time in stories or that kind of things . But there is magic. and mostly thats used for bad things Liking departing a husband and wife or much like that.
danny3165
Nope I highly doubt there are.
Tasukii
It would be funny. But it physically impossible, like God ^^
It's nice to dream sometimes, when I was a child, I dreamt to be like Merlin, you know, free princes and fight against evil creatures. Still now, sometimes in the underground I imagine that there are evil creatures that sleep under the tube.
Nikkori
Maybe there are magical people who exist. It's funny to hear that the magical or wizarding world I read from Harry Potter books, also exist...Ü
KaolasHikarii
Well to me, in my heart, it does exist, magic, wizardry and things of the sort. But I'm not gonna explain why I believe it. ITs the romantic side of me that doesnt want to let it go. Despite the fact that science may disprove it (or not) I mean science implied that it is impossible, but impossible things have happened before. So I dont doubt magic's existance. Its amazing what human beleif can do.
MythicalMuffin
maxi2k6 wrote:
maybe they are allied to our "talking pets" Smile

My cat is disturbingly expressive when he meows.

*A-herm*, anyway, I don't exactly beleive in magic, but I do believe in God and that miracles happen, though I usually avoid saying it because some people like to try to change my mind about it, which is pointless. Trying to change someone's mind about their faith is like trying to convince the person next to you that they aren't real (unless you're hallucinating).

Using science to explain things is all fine and good, but I think science will never replace the miracle we use to make up the information we don't know yet: our imagination.
anticitizen1
MMM, not. Thats why we need books to find them.
Becky
saratdear wrote:
I think that there may be wizards in the world. Reading all this Harry Potter makes me think so. That is .. she makes it seem so real. If there is one, like Harry Potter, I would love to go to Hogwarts.

Exactly what i think!

In the harry potter magic isnt shown as being like in a fairy tale...instead its shown as if its in the circumstances of real life. And from reading that its shown me that Magic could definately exist, thats why i believe in Magic and Wizards and Witches Wink

Sorry if everything i just spoke about above is confusing.... Laughing
em0o
i think it's fun, like a fantastic dream.
Nevman
Game Fortress wrote:
I once heard a quote by somone I cant remember now, but it went somthing like this-- "In the future it will be impossible to distinguish Technology from Magic"

Quote:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Much to my embarrassment I couldn't get that off the tip of my tongue until I googled it.

As for the original question, given the quote above, what is magic but a force that we, or science, cannot (as yet, possibly) understand and/or quantify. As our understanding of the world around us grows, the realm of magic shrinks. But I don't believe we've got to a point where magic has ceased to exist. Far from it, I believe there is still plenty of wonder left in this life.

As for wizards, practitioners of magic. I guess with the likes of the various tribal witchdoctors and the like in cultures that believe in magic, you don't have to turn to secret societies to imagine such beings.

In the end, I doubt things are quite as clear cut as traditional science would like us to believe.