FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unable to switch off system restore-RESOLVED

paurna
i recently installed win xp.after installation i tried switching off system restore.but it says that an error has occured and asks me to restart my computer and try again.but even after restarting i am unable to switch off system restore.i can't even reduce the space allocated to system restore.what can i do??
Scorpio
You tried by right clicking the my computer icon and selecting the system restore tab?

What exactly was the error?

And why do you want to turn of system restore? it is good for you
paurna
yeah i tried by right clicking on my computer and selecting system restore option

if i try to switch it off it says

Windows encountered an error to enable/disable the option.Kindly restart your computer and try again.

btw what kinda advantages are u talking about??it is using up nearly 1-2gb of space on each of my drive.

i can't even reduce the space allocated.
Sunny
paurna wrote:
yeah i tried by right clicking on my computer and selecting system restore option

if i try to switch it off it says

Windows encountered an error to enable/disable the option.Kindly restart your computer and try again.

btw what kinda advantages are u talking about??it is using up nearly 1-2gb of space on each of my drive.

i can't even reduce the space allocated.

I'll suggest you to leave the System restore feature on. Its a handy feature if anything happens with your OS, you can restore back.

As allocation size is concerned. you only set maximum size, so if you allocate 1 gb doesn't means system restore will use 1 gb straight away. It will take it some time like 2 months or so for it to use full space depending on number of restore points.You can use disk clean up (right click on drive then properties) option in a month to clean all restore points except the most recent one to save the space. that ay you will have atleast 1 points to switch back to.

But if you have decided that u want to get rid of system restore, one other easy way would be to turn off the restore service. Click start > run>type services.msc > locate system restore service > right click on it and properties. change it to disable.
Bones
I'd leave it on as well, although I have my total size alloted to sys restore turned down to about 500M which is plenty. If system restore is turned off, you can't even recover from a corrupt registry because the system won't keep backups of the hives.
paurna
well i wud like to reduce the size but i can't even do that.hence i really don;t want to waste so much space and hence want to switch it off