FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bandwidth Question

Scorpio
*note: I am not asking you to increase the bandwidth*

My question:

I understand that increase in server space will cost more, but how does bandwidth exactly affect the frihost revenue?
I mean, its just that people are accessing or downloading something from the site.
How does it increase the operating costs?
Is that why you are restricting to 10 gb?

Please explain wrt frihost( dont point me towards wikipedia)

Thank you
Bondings
Bandwidth costs money, actually a lot of it. However we currently have enough bandwidth, so the limit is rather meant to be a resource one. (it is if you have a very busy forum like frihost taking more than 10GB per month you shouldn't be hosting it here)
Scorpio
Quote:
(it is if you have a very busy forum like frihost taking more than 10GB per month you shouldn't be hosting it here)

Thats a good one

Mine doesnt even take 100 kb of bandwidth( my forum i mean) Laughing

But Could you explain how it costs money?

Because, its like accessing files from the server's space(hard disks) right?

We are just transferring it. So how does it get charged?
devroom
We had a download limit at our previous internet 'ticket' (dont know the good english word)
I believe u can see the bandwidth upload limit also as something you pay for
mathiaus
it has to go through some form of media. The quickest being fibre optic which is very expensive and the costs need to be recovered.

example
1kb file eing downloaded down a 1kb/sec fibre. This means 1kb will flow per second which means in 60 seconds 60kb etc etc. In total this fibre will provide 2419200 kb per month (2GB). This is small so more and more fibre will be required costing more.
The 1kb was just to demonstrate, its actually a lot higher
Scorpio
This means that the Fibre Optics are rented by frihost from another company specializing in bandwidth stuff?
Bondings
scorpio wrote:
This means that the Fibre Optics are rented by frihost from another company specializing in bandwidth stuff?

Yes, in our case it's Savvis providing the bandwidth. I get x GB per server and if I go over it, I have to pay. There are also the "unmetered" options, but those are more expensive.

You can compare it with your isp, just that instead of downloading, it's mostly uploading and a lot.

http://www.savvis.net/corp/Products%20Services/Network
http://www.savvis.net/corp/Products+Services/Network/Infrastructure+Maps.htm
Scorpio
Oh Ok then I understand

*scratching my head*
engeland
what do you get out of this Bondings? you have to pay for bandwidth? And your giving free hosting. dont get me wrong, i'm glad your giving such a wonderful host. it's just a hunch.. Wink
Bengt
Bondings wrote:
Bandwidth costs money, actually a lot of it. However we currently have enough bandwidth, so the limit is rather meant to be a resource one. (it is if you have a very busy forum like frihost taking more than 10GB per month you shouldn't be hosting it here)

very true Very Happy
krazycapital
Usually people make money with free hosting through the advertisements on the site. We don't have to put them on our site, but notice how these forums and the frihost site have ads? That's how lots of them do. I'm not sure about frihost exactly though.
Daniel15
engeland wrote:
what do you get out of this Bondings? you have to pay for bandwidth? And your giving free hosting. dont get me wrong, i'm glad your giving such a wonderful host. it's just a hunch.. Wink

Well, Bondings is a nice guy Smile.

And, the ads pay for most of it, I think. That's why you're not allowed to access these forums with an ad blocker turned on (popup blockers are fine, as there's no popups here).

Quote:
Thats a good one

Mine doesnt even take 100 kb of bandwidth( my forum i mean)

Well, sure, one or two pages of your forum can take 100 kb. But what if hundreds of people come to your forum and start posting 1000's of topics?

Quote:
But Could you explain how it costs money?

Like Bondings said, he has a set amount of bandwidth, and if he goes over that, Savvis charge him extra. Bandwidth limits are usually put in place to prevent one site from using all of the server's bandwidth (which can happen if there are no limits, and a very bandwidth-intensive site is involved)

The same thing happens with most ISP's. The majority of ISP's have a download limit to prevent overloading their network. ISP's with truly unlimited plans usually make enough money so they can upgrade their network if it's approaching the limit.
n0obie4life
Okay this topic is going no where as a support topic now.

Anyway, Bondings created Frihost because he's a kind guy that wants to run a business, without paying taxes Rolling Eyes

-close-