FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you use XML ?

loosu
I cant get it , actually , what is the use of an XML file...
I read somewhere , that it is used as a wrapper to DATA , juz to hold field name and data , so that that XML file could cross platforms to another database , but i dont know , what could be the real need ??
woja
Sure, XML is "simply" a wrapper for data but it's more than simply field names and data. It also puts structure on the data:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<members type="current">
   <member name="lossu">
      <e-mail type="default">lossu@somewhere.com</e-mail>
      <e-mail type="work">lossu01@big-co.com</e-mail>
      <full-name>J Doe</full-name>
      <address type="home">
         <street>10256 Short Street</street>
         <town>Somewherville</town>
         <postal-code>XX01 99CV</postal-code>
     </address>
     <address type="work">
         <name>Big Co.</name>
         <street>12 Strange Plaza</street>
         <town>Windy City</towm>
         <postal-code>KK99 55FF</postal-code>
     </address>
   </member>
   <member name="woja">
      <!-  etc.... -->
   </member>
</members>

And, anyway, data is more than just, for example, names and addresses. HTML is data for a browser, Java source code is data for a Java compiler, Java bytecode is data for a Java Virtual Machine, Machine Code is data for a processor. XML can be data for another piece of XML which tells the XML processor how to produce HTML from it.
The advantage of XML is that it has a rigidly defined syntax and it is very easy to write a parser to turn it into an in-memory representation which can be easily processed by PHP code, JavaScript code, C++ code, and so on.
Qweertyy
No I do not use XML, for my data storing needs I use SQL, it's much faster and takes less space.

Also, it's a lot easier to modify imho, both using phpmyadmin AND with coding in php and C++.

I suggest you start using it instead of xml.
Scorpio
Qweertyy wrote:
No I do not use XML, for my data storing needs I use SQL, it's much faster and takes less space.

Also, it's a lot easier to modify imho, both using phpmyadmin AND with coding in php and C++.

I suggest you start using it instead of xml.

Pretty much the same here..
Though I am trying to learn to use Xml effectively now
woja
XML isn't for data repositories (a.k.a. databases), it's a way of communicating information.
I use XML for stuff like templates and configuration where a database is just not necessary or useful.
If I have an application which needs certain data, it may make it top-heavy to include all the database support. Any, more to the point, the database structure may change and if I have ten applications using the database, I don't want to change them all, I'd rather just change the data delivery mechanism.
Not using XML is like saying "Why use HTML to display information? Why can't we just write directly to the user's screen?" XML is platform independent: I can send XML to any machine and somebody can read it. Otherwise they'd need special drivers to talk to the database.
To sum up: XML is not a replacement or a substitute for databases, it's a language for communicating data.
Reign
Qweertyy wrote:

dude, an xml file is just text...how can that be slower or take more space then a sql database???
Xcelerate
I was wondering that too.

Anyway, I'm using an XML database for my website. Each file corresponds to a different thing (records, runners, videos, pictures, etc.) The only thing is that with PHP it is somewhat more difficult, because I started designing my website before I made a complete set of XML scripts, so now I have to do weird things with the files to keep lines from overwriting (in other words, I have to directly deal with the files). Need to change that.
ivant92
No, I don~t use XTM I use WML, it is simple!!!
Code of one WML page is
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE wml PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml">

<wml>
<card title="NAME OF PAGE">
<p align="center">
<a href="http://ivant92.rock.com">ivant92 w@p</a><br/>
</p>
</card>
</wml>
Reign
Xml is something totally different to XML....

can't compare the 2 languages
hellrahul
I don't use XML but I want to.
I am searching for a good book for a pic up Start
SnoopDizzile
I use it for gaming..

You can make live Rosters and Tracking stats with it, like for America's Army you can do it with the tracker...they set up the bas..then you can add on to it..I've been working with a guy to produce that and server stats and all that cool stuff that you can do "live"

Snoop
novisdesign
XML is good for data stuff. If say I want to hold a web sites data, my site can read from that XML file and read specific tags. Then when you want to change your site, you simply change a tag in the XML. Nice I think, also used for RSS. It's good to know

Thanks
Gabe Shahbazian - Novis Design
Sappho
As woja already said XML is especially designed for clear closs platform communication, its nice to have data stored in DB but once you want to send em to some script or applet you will prolly output and organize em to structured XML file instead of sending plain text such as &name=something&data1=something&data2=something... or anything similar to that. Since its universal and each script can handle that, even with mobiles you will use SOAP which is XML based.
riv_
This week I wrote my very first XML document with XSLT Razz
I can see how it's terribly useful, but I, unfortunately, don't know enough about it (or the other scripting languages) yet to really tap into it's potential.
(What I'd really like to do is display my beautifully styled xml document within my html page... sigh!)
But to dismiss a tool as useless because you don't know how to use it? That's sad.
AhmedSalmanJamal
woja wrote:
XML isn't for data repositories (a.k.a. databases), it's a way of communicating information.
I use XML for stuff like templates and configuration where a database is just not necessary or useful.
If I have an application which needs certain data, it may make it top-heavy to include all the database support. Any, more to the point, the database structure may change and if I have ten applications using the database, I don't want to change them all, I'd rather just change the data delivery mechanism.
Not using XML is like saying "Why use HTML to display information? Why can't we just write directly to the user's screen?" XML is platform independent: I can send XML to any machine and somebody can read it. Otherwise they'd need special drivers to talk to the database.
To sum up: XML is not a replacement or a substitute for databases, it's a language for communicating data.

I certainly agree with you. XML has several uses. It can be used for configuration, for templating, for temp data storage, for communication...in fact it has been a W3 standard for a long time. It is An open standard for describing data from the W3C. It is used for defining data elements on a Web page and business-to-business documents. XML uses a similar tag structure as HTML; however, whereas HTML defines how elements are displayed, XML defines what those elements contain. While HTML uses predefined tags, XML allows tags to be defined by the developer of the page. Thus, virtually any data items, such as "product," "sales rep" and "amount due," can be identified, allowing Web pages to function like database records. By providing a common method for identifying data, XML supports business-to-business transactions and has become "the" format for electronic data interchange and Web services
JayBee
I use XML to configure one of website I have created.
I use XML because ATOM and RSS are XML
sergi
I'm really fond of XML. In my recent project I used XML data format to store 3d object data ( polygonal mesh data, skeletal structure, etc. ) exported from Blender 3D. The exported data is read by a C++ program which displays the exported 3d object. To implement a reader I used Xerces C++ and boost's regex library.

Frankly speaking, it's really very nice to have a well-structured and human-readable data format. XML parsers are widely-spread among different languages, so that you can read / modify / write XML data in any popular programming or scripting language ( e. g. c++, java, python, javascript and others ).
earthset
I don't have choices. .....

I found XML everywhere in my field.

speech recognition, IVR, ......