FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PageRank -> hidden links

mrwoody
Hi *.
Is it possible to hide some links on some of my webpages so that I can increase the PR of other domains?
Is there any hint/rule/doc on how to do that?

Thanks!
MrWoody
dude_xyx
well Google spider is smart enough to find these hidden links and hidden content. simple answer is , you will get baned rather then getting a better page rank.
Scorpio
Very True

If you havent heard,

The BMW Germany Website was banned because they added lots of keywords in the same color as the background so that it will be invisible to the user but visible to spiders..

But they got their *** kicked and banned.

When sites like BMWs get banned yours and mine wont stand a chance.

Atleast they apologised and got their rank back...
Bondings
Why not use a visible link? It's as good and might get you some visitors to visit your other websites.
mrwoody
Well very simple: my "high rank" website is also my website at work.
The other one is just my private website... so I would like to keep them separate for the average joe (not that it really makes a difference).

Anyway I still find it hard to believe that it is so easy to get banned. I understand if you put a lot of links with the same color as the background, but if you do a mistake with css, and one of your link is not visible, I would be surprised if you get banned.

Anyway keywords are a different story... as far as I know.
Bondings
In most cases it is easy to see the difference between a mistake and a hidden link on purpose.

Also, there are ways to "hide" a link for visitors while not making it really hidden. You can put it on a place that almost nobody looks at and it such a way that almost nobody will notice or click on. Maybe put it on a resource page or something similar.
benjad
Out of curiosity....

hidden links can be used to foil a DOS attack, right? So, is there a way to use them, and mark them as DOS protection scheme (and ban people hitting unidentified links), or is it just an avoid all together.
Bondings
benjad wrote:
Out of curiosity....

hidden links can be used to foil a DOS attack, right? So, is there a way to use them, and mark them as DOS protection scheme (and ban people hitting unidentified links), or is it just an avoid all together.

It is rather being used against automated bots trying to get the content of the pages. And then ban the ips that visit that url. I suppose it might also be useful against a DOS in some (probably rare) cases.

Webmasterworld.com (a very big and famous webmaster forum) has these type of links to prevent against bots scraping their forums. Unfortunately the savvy webmasters (including moderators) found those links and clicked on them. If I'm not mistaken they now have a second link, visible, type of "click me to be banned" to make sure it's not a human. Wink