FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fish keeping?

Vanquish
Is anyone into fishkeeping? I'm addicted and I like breeding fish, but i'm just a begginer and have only had livebearers give birth before such as guppys and mollies. I have a 3Gallon tank in my bedroom waiting for a dwarf puffer to be homed in a few months, and I have a 20Gallon community tank downstairs which houses a 1x male dwarf gourami, 7x neon tetras, 2x female guppys, 1x male guppy, 1x male mollie, 1x female mollie, 2x leopard danios, 1x black widdow tetra, 5x mollie fry. I'm thinking about upping the numbers of my schooling fish and my guppy is heavily pregnant and the other has just given birth. If you would like information on fishkeeping them this is an extremely informational forum to visit: www.fishforums.net

Regards,
Neal
anandagowda
does any one know abt the vasthu fishes where it has to be kept
cocobirdi
i've got a pile of guppies, and they keep reproducing lol... (not that i'm trying to get them to stop...). i really desperately need to get rid of a ton of them, since i've got WAY too many in my 20 gallon tank, and i just had two more ...litters?

can't find any petstores that will take them in the area either... i'm tempted to just toss them out somewhere to keep my tank healthy.
HDirtwater
I got sick of live breeders back in the day when I had a fish tank. I was really into it for a while, then between moving here and there, never picked it back up. A nice aquarium does spice up a room though.
eku53ru
I used to have pet fish up until about two years ago, when something went wrong with the water and they died as a result. I had a comet goldfish for seven years prior to its death, and my sister had a few fish of her own. However, my lack of ability to determine the gender of my fish kept me from breeding in any way.
apistos
I have a 20 gallon tank but on wednesday im transferring the inhabitants to a 29. Ive managed to successfully breed panda corys. now I'm trying to breed apistos.
Another good fish forum is aquariacentral.com.
cocobirdi
eeek... i just killed two of my males last night Shocked

i had my fanciest male in a breeder net with my not-pregnant-yet females, then decided that he wasn't showing enough interest, so i put him in with the rest of the fish and put my orange and purple male in with the females... i turned around a few minutes later and my rosy barbs were making a meal out of my fancy male! (ARGH... he's never been very dominant AT ALL) so i tried to save him by switching him back in the breeder net, then the females started in on him, so i moved them out, then my annoying orange male started chasing them around and i didn't want any more babies out of him, so i tossed him in a large mug of water... unfortunately, i had a complete brain fart and used plain tap water Shocked Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

so the fancy male was too damaged to make it, and i poisoned my orange male. Evil or Very Mad

ah well... i had too many males anyways... *sigh*

still have very pretty young females that need to be gotten rid of since two females had babies... they're orange/yellow with black dots. also have young males, primarily yellow with subtle oranging and dots.

jackson, MS area, anyone?
ColdFire
oh hey i got a fresh water aquarium too. its 36x24x16. dont know how many galloons that holds. i mostly keep guppies, tetras, labyrinth fishes (i think this is the most colorful fish in a fresh water setup) and a few cory thrown in for variety. Very Happy
apistos
I think that the most colorful freshwater fish are discus, but cichlids in general are usually very colorful.
ColdFire
yah cichlids are colorful too but they're expensive and hard to raise. guys do you know if we can successfully cross a guppy and a swordtail? i think they are related somehow but i just dont know if they will breed.
apistos
Why would you want to cross a guppy and a swordtail?
Also, cichlids are not necesarrily expensive, it depends on what kind you get.
ColdFire
Quote:
Why would you want to cross a guppy and a swordtail?

they multiply fast and i want to create a new breed of fish, a mutant if you will. Twisted Evil
Vanquish
There is many crossbreeds, and it causes problems later in the line, so I wouldn't. Also "labrynth fish", this means they have a labrynth organ which enables them to breath oxygen out of the air. There is many types of these fish, so I think you might mean Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta Splendens).
Your supposed to have 2 Females per 1 Male with any Livebearing fish.
Cichlids are very nice, the only downfall is they are very territiorial and aggressive, meaning you have most of them in a species only tank, with many hiding places. My favourite cichlids have to be Kribensis, as they have a strange behaviour to them.
Also, if you have a baby problem, seperate your males and your females, and ask your family or friends if they want some for free. Also, you say your pet shops won't take them, are you offering them for free?
I have to agree, Discus are very nice fish, but also very sensitive and expensive.

Neal
quixotic
I really want to start a tank of guppies, because I absolutely LOVE their colors, but i don't know what other tank mates I could put in with them. I don't think my female betta would like it in there with them at all (and she might eat them).

Any suggestions?
cocobirdi
i've got my guppies in with platys (i THINK that's the name of them... they're nice and keep to themselves), algae eaters, a clown loach, rosy barbs (though they're aggressive and WILL nibble on the guppies sometimes), some little cheap horizontally-black-striped fish with a longish tail, two tetra-ish fish (LOL is it OBVIOUS yet that i buy fish bc of how little they cost?!) and i'm probably forgetting something but oh well Wink

and i had a gourami but he starved himself to death bc he didn't like my food flakes for some unknown reason (WTF?!) swordtails also do well, if you can keep them alive Wink (i couldn't lol but i guess that's what i get from buying from walmart). i haven't had mollies in a few years, but i think i recall them being docile, and can have some nice colors.

i finally did get rid of my babies Wink the place that took them buys fish, so yay! i've got another two batches outgrowing their baby nets and two (actually, possibly 3) very pregnant bellies that are a few weeks away from popping out more, so yay Wink i'm planning on getting a cheap 10 gallon tank after selling that batch so the bigger fish in my 20 gallon won't be so crowded while i'm growing babies.
apistos
Quote:
Discus are very nice fish, but also very sensitive and expensive.

With discus and many other cichlids, it depends on where you get them from. The commercially bred strains you get at pet stores are often weak, but if you can find a breeder, you can get much higher quality fish for much cheaper.
Im saying this from experience because every cichlid I have bought from a pet store has always died within a month, but the ones I bought froma breeder are doing great after 3 months and have spawned.
Vanquish
I hope you realise, clown loaches grow up to about 1ft, therefore needing a bigger tank of around 55Gallons, if I was you i'd take him to the pet shop and trade him for something, it really isn't healthy. Also, what kinds of algae eaters do you have? I take it that it's a pleco, but which one? Can you possibly get a picture? The reason i'm asking is that some pleco's can grow up to 2ft! I personally have mollies, and to be honest, they don't look very nice, but I like marbled mollies and black mollies, but mine are just orange and look like tropical goldfish. Mine have just had babys anyway, so they are alongside the guppy fry in my fry tank. Females bettas should generally get along with guppys, just male betta's don't as sometimes they mistake them as other male bettas because of their fancy tails. Just make sure you have plenty of room for them and if your going to get multiple guppys, either get 5 males to even out the agression or get 1 male to the ratio of 2 females, so say you get 2 males and want females, you should get 4. This evens out the stress on the fish as they are livebearers and are VERY horny, if you don't have enough females, they will be harrased so much it may end in a death. Personally i'd get 5 males as the males are ALOT more colourful and the females are very bland usually but have nice tails. Let me know what you do!

Neal

PS - As you can probably see, i'm a fish nerd, they just interest me so i've done lots of research on them.
henrygl
Hi everyone,

I just completed building a small tank out of a restored Mac Classic II. The tank is not very big and I was wondering what type of fish I should put in it. I wanted tropical fish but they require a heater, which is expensive. My tank is 7x9x11 in. What should I get?

Also, I was wondering how often I should change my fish's water. Once a week?
apistos
You could go with white cloud mountain minnows, they stay small and dont need a heater
Etabeeta
Vanquish wrote:
Is anyone into fishkeeping? I'm addicted and I like breeding fish, but i'm just a begginer and have only had livebearers give birth before such as guppys and mollies. I have a 3Gallon tank in my bedroom waiting for a dwarf puffer to be homed in a few months, and I have a 20Gallon community tank downstairs which houses a 1x male dwarf gourami, 7x neon tetras, 2x female guppys, 1x male guppy, 1x male mollie, 1x female mollie, 2x leopard danios, 1x black widdow tetra, 5x mollie fry. I'm thinking about upping the numbers of my schooling fish and my guppy is heavily pregnant and the other has just given birth. If you would like information on fishkeeping them this is an extremely informational forum to visit: www.fishforums.net

Regards,
Neal

I cant really understand whats so funny about having fishes.. They doesnt do anything...
Annush_K
I have a 45 litres tank. Currently I have one goldfish male and two spotted catfishies, they're called pterygoplichts here, I have no idea of their English mane, lol. Before I had a plenty of goldfishes, but they caught some strange infection and died Crying or Very sad had to change the water about thrice before I removed it, and now my tank is having a second life. Smile
Etabeeta
Annush_K wrote:
I have a 45 litres tank. Currently I have one goldfish male and two spotted catfishies, they're called pterygoplichts here, I have no idea of their English mane, lol. Before I had a plenty of goldfishes, but they caught some strange infection and died Crying or Very sad had to change the water about thrice before I removed it, and now my tank is having a second life. Smile

awesome...not Rolling Eyes
sugarbox
it is very interesting

Why should I care
Cause you weren't there,
when I was scared,
I was so alone
webprogramming
I used to have fish aquarium long ago. To keep your aquarium clean for a long time, have fish like tetras, gouramies, sword fish.

Sold fish are pretty, but they need lot of space and lot of freedom, if you have a cluttered environment, just try to avoid gold fish as they tend to suffogate.
Reina
I have fantails and schubunkins but i dont breed them.
I just have a little tank. about 30L i think. But i love it cause it fits on my kitchen bench and has blue lights in it.
jipmerite
WHy aren't any of you guys thinking of putting up pics of your tanks?

Watching a fish tank is suppsed to decrease anxiety and blood pressure... another reason to have a fish tank Smile

WHat I'd love to have is a salt water fish tank. But I think they are much much harder to maintain. But the colors of sea fish are so much more vibrant...sigh...maybe some day....
curnow
im not posting a pic of my tank because id have to change my dads camera settings which arent exactly good for taking tank pics because the fish turn out at blurred lines of light.
^^ id like a saltwater tank too but what id really like is a brackish one.
Quote:
Watching a fish tank is suppsed to decrease anxiety and blood pressure... another reason to have a fish tank

yes ive found it has. except when they seem to find a way into an extremely small space that thy cant get out of, at which point you think theyre dead. blood pressure up(may have been diseased then eaten). find it in a space near the filter half its size(bloodpressure down again). not that, that happens everyday.
jipmerite
Smile Yeah that happened to me too... We end up caring so much for our fish that any sign of any fish in trouble has our hearts pounding...
Vanquish
Actually, i've heard from alot of people that saltwater aquariums don't really require that much more maintaining that your avegerage freshwater tank, but I must admit they do cost alot from what i've seen. Your probably going to tell me i'm wrong about this, but goldfish need a 15Gallon tank (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM) and then an extra 10Gallons per fish. So say if you wanted to keep two goldfish, you'd need a 25Gallon tank. Your going to say now that "A fish grows to the size of it's home", WRONG, the body may stop growing however the organs of the fish do not, therefore the fish will have a much shorter life span and also the quality of the water will be extremely bad.
Guppys can go with female bettas, but not males, as males see them as opposition because of the guppys long flowing fins like a male bettas. If your looking for colourful fish you should get male guppys, and if you do then get 5 of them to even out the agression, otherwise you risk some dieing, or if you want to breed them, the females are a more dull colour but usually have just a nice tail, then you need 2 females to 1 male otherwise a female will be harrased to death. I would post a picture of my tank but I don't know where the lead is from the camera so I may have to do that another time.

If anyone has any questions with regards to fishkeeping, i'm sure I can help!

Neal