FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Great Punk band (NOFX)

patrick9480
Check out NOFX's latest tracks at www.fatwreck.com. You can download three of their latest mp3's and their latest video for free!
Artelis
patrick9480 wrote:
Check out NOFX's latest tracks at www.fatwreck.com. You can download three of their latest mp3's and their latest video for free!

NOFX is not punk. Punk died a long time ago. Get over it. They're bad rock.
blackheart
Artelis wrote:
patrick9480 wrote:

Punk never died, it jsut seems harder to find because there's been more time to "discover" the old stuff.

And for all intensive purposes NOFX are punk enough, it's just they're also ska.

Genre's evolve. A purist life gets you no-where.
supjapscrapper
come on man!!! If NOFX are no Punk then where is punk, to me there are no bands that are more punk than NOFX!!! I liked their album partly about george bush, and ... Punk never died Very Happy
Ofinet
Quote:
come on man!!! If NOFX are no Punk then where is punk, to me there are no bands that are more punk than NOFX!!! I liked their album partly about george bush, and ... Punk never died

Ever heard of the Sex Pistols? The Ramones? That's punk...not some wannabe, over cliche'd, dry humoured failures that the weird kids at school wrote all over their bags and arms screaming the words to songs that the band never wrote...shameful.

Punk IS dead.

You might as well say Simple Plan is punk.

shudddder
blackheart
Ofinet wrote:
Quote:
come on man!!! If NOFX are no Punk then where is punk, to me there are no bands that are more punk than NOFX!!! I liked their album partly about george bush, and ... Punk never died

Ever heard of the Sex Pistols? The Ramones? That's punk...not some wannabe, over cliche'd, dry humoured failures that the weird kids at school wrote all over their bags and arms screaming the words to songs that the band never wrote...shameful.

Punk IS dead.

You might as well say Simple Plan is punk.

shudddder

Punk isn't dead.

It's just the popular shit you have in mind isn't OS Punk... and in most cases not punk at all.
Yantaal
how can you say punk is dead with bands like Rancid and the bastards floating around?
Marston
Artelis wrote:
OH MY GOD, I JUST HAD A HEART-ATTACK!
Doswa
Music evolves over time...punk isnt dead...but it is definatly spread over a much borader range now days. Possibly old school punk is close to extinction but there are bands who have a similar sound. Pop-punk..emo/punk/ are definatly here. originaly punk was a lifestyle and with ****** the world and anarchist points of view...the music then came after the personality.
Jayfarer
Artelis wrote:
patrick9480 wrote:

I understand why people say this, when pop bands are being constantly called punk despite having little to do with the genre, but NOFX has, at the very least, some punk credibility. Unless you're some serious, stringent, purist who doesnt' consider anything past the Sex Pistols punk, these guys are at least sincere in their music.
achene
its the usual what is punk and what isnt punk discussion. and i think its an individual question. if people call it punk then let them. music are constantly evolving - let it.
Artelis
achene wrote:
its the usual what is punk and what isnt punk discussion. and i think its an individual question. if people call it punk then let them. music are constantly evolving - let it.

Shut up

The fact is that everyone tries to tell you that "yeah, punk still exists in the underground!" But hey, that's not punk either. That is a replica of punk. Punk was defined by its founders ie) The Stooges, Sex Pistols etc. I don't even know if I'd quite call the Ramones punk. When the Sex Pistols broke up, true punk died. Punk wasn't exactly what you'd call a genre. It was more of a social movement, just like the situationalists of the '60s (slightly more hardcore version of punk). Seeing as though punk accomplished its goal, bringing many obscene things to become accepted by the general public, the movement is dead. There might be neo-punk bands, or punk-esque, but no true punk bands. They DON'T exist anymore.
Marston
Artelis wrote:
Shut up

The fact is that everyone tries to tell you that "yeah, punk still exists in the underground!" But hey, that's not punk either. That is a replica of punk. Punk was defined by its founders ie) The Stooges, Sex Pistols etc. I don't even know if I'd quite call the Ramones punk. When the Sex Pistols broke up, true punk died. Punk wasn't exactly what you'd call a genre. It was more of a social movement, just like the situationalists of the '60s (slightly more hardcore version of punk). Seeing as though punk accomplished its goal, bringing many obscene things to become accepted by the general public, the movement is dead. There might be neo-punk bands, or punk-esque, but no true punk bands. They DON'T exist anymore.
Wrong.
Artelis
Marston wrote:
Wrong.

At least have something to say about it.
angelussum
I don't understand why it's so important to put music into genres, things into categories, labels on everything.

Music is music - enjoy it.
darthfalk
Like angelussum I think there are only 2 kinds of music: good music and bad music.

There are different styles in music and different tastes in people who listen to it, but nothing else.
augustoccastro
For my opinion, punk had a big transformation in the progress of the time, and the "real punk" really died. Can I say that now we have a "new punk".....
Artelis
augustoccastro wrote:
For my opinion, punk had a big transformation in the progress of the time, and the "real punk" really died. Can I say that now we have a "new punk".....

That I could agree with. The whole point is that punk wasn't just a genre of music. It was a cultural movement. Now that the movement is over, you need something to call the music. Neo-punk might work. So the underground stuff I would call neo-punk and the pop stuff.. well, duh, pop-punk. Hope everyone can agree. Cool
no_name
In my owntown is cool bunk band Winny Puhh.. his greats song is Nuudlid ja Hapupiim
jsrahe
angelussum wrote:
I don't understand why it's so important to put music into genres, things into categories, labels on everything.

Music is music - enjoy it.

yeah, i share this opinion. but labeling everything is typical for humans...