FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Making

Game Fortress
I make games as a hobby using a really simple (but powerfull when used correctly) program called Game Maker.

It is a really cool program that allows users to create their own games pretty quickly.

I would post a link to one of my own games, but I dont want to appear to be self promoting.

Anyone else make games?

-=EDIT=-

I was given permission to post a link to my games

http://gamemakergames.com/?a=view.download&id=3412
This game is The Curse of Kaumaha
wumingsden
Game Fortress wrote:
I make games as a hobby using a really simple (but powerfull when used correctly) program called Game Maker.

It is a really cool program that allows users to create their own games pretty quickly.

I would post a link to one of my own games, but I dont want to appear to be self promoting.

Anyone else make games?

I also use Game maker, although the only game that I've ever made with it is the clown example which is so amateur. I am trying to make games but I find the advanced stuff quite hard to grasp, do you know any tutorials on the net on how to create games using game maker that isn't from the "official" site ?
Scott
I used to be really into Game Maker, it's a great program, I had a lot more fun making games than playing them. YOu should post that link to your game(s), I'm sure no one will get mad.

Vanquish
Wow, it sounds like a fun idea, wish I was good enough to do that but I can hardly make websites! I think you should ask a Moderator if your allowed to post up a link to your game, i'm positive you would be allowed. People would thank you for sharing it rather than flame at you.
Regards,
Neal
aenemike
If you ever get into 3D type game making, there's an engine called Kaneva that is pretty useful. You do need some 3D modeling experience to use it as you need to create and import your own models. It's a good tool for those of us who are dabbling in the game creation world, but don't have the patience or experience to write an entire engine themselves...
Game maker is good though, I've used it in the past and had some fun with it.
Scorpio
You can try posting your game here

Anyway it would be a change from the usual stuff

If it is good you can post it on some download website like www.download.com
Game Fortress
Quote:
If you ever get into 3D type game making, there's an engine called Kaneva that is pretty useful. You do need some 3D modeling experience to use it as you need to create and import your own models. It's a good tool for those of us who are dabbling in the game creation world, but don't have the patience or experience to write an entire engine themselves...
Game maker is good though, I've used it in the past and had some fun with it.

I already work with 3d games. Unfortunatley, Game Maker isnt the most efficient when it comes to 3d, so they run at somewhat slow fps. I can do modeling too, but again, i dont really have an appropriate program to get really good ones. My 2D games are usually substantially better.

And I think I will simply add a link in my sig to my games, because I know that is allowed.
mrbofh
If I made a game, I made it my self with Visual Basic knowlege, not some Game Makers, but for starters it's good, though.
Game Fortress
Quote:
but for starters it's good, though.

People constantly underestimate the power of Game Maker. I have used it for a long time and programmed several complicated games. It is easy to learn, but difficult to master. If you think it is only for beginners, you probably havent spent much time with it.
screamingdecay
I don't really enjoy game maker much, its too much hassle compaired with what I am learning at AI for making video games. But if your really intrested I suggest taking some classes and you can get a job in the field and make money doing it Smile
william
Game Fortress wrote:
Quote:
but for starters it's good, though.

People constantly underestimate the power of Game Maker. I have used it for a long time and programmed several complicated games. It is easy to learn, but difficult to master. If you think it is only for beginners, you probably havent spent much time with it.

I agree. It took me under a day to learn how to use it, but I have not mastered it. Though, I know it pretty well. It's REALLY powerful and I plan on getting the registered version.
Billwaa
Actually someone develop at very easy FPS game maker with Game Maker. I think it is call Slicen FPS Maker or something, it is in the forum creation.

I really think that Game Maker is better than RPG maker just becuase they actually learn programming and give you more flexibility. I heard someone said that GM is unlimited when making 2D game, I start off doubting it, now that I learn you can use DLL, and I learn more script... It is really unlimited.

It's a cheap or free software that worth more than 1000$.
Starflier
I like The Games Factory... I also play with Adventure Game Studio, and BEYOND...

A good site for Ideas is http://www.gamehippo.com/
Game Fortress
Quote:
I really think that Game Maker is better than RPG maker just becuase they actually learn programming and give you more flexibility. I heard someone said that GM is unlimited when making 2D game, I start off doubting it, now that I learn you can use DLL, and I learn more script... It is really unlimited

RPG Maker is a joke compared to Game Maker, in my humble opinion. Game Maker can be extremley powerfull when used appropriatley, and with percision.
Starflier
RPG Maker is great if you have no idea what you're doing. It's more like a level editor that would come with a game.
Game Fortress
Fair enough, but Game Maker can actually be used comercially if the game-designer knows how to use it. A few fellow game makers have done so online.
Alein_Atryda_III
Too bad I'm not really that interested in game making. I know alot of programming and I'm still studying it. If I was to make game making software I would be more into it than making a game Very Happy Maybe in the future I will be making "Game Maker 2010" or something like that? Razz

Well, but it's far off future...

Oh, and I don't really like 1-person made games. Everyone has their good and bad sides, there has to be group of at least 3 people, programmer, composer and graphic maker to do something really cool.

Hey, you might just get into group and try to make something simple but so really cool, like Doukutsu monogatari(Cave story).
Game Fortress
Actually, I already work as a team. I mostly do graphics and concepts, and my buddy does the programming. I know a fair bit of programming myself, but he is faster, and I do way better art.
elincinerador
i am not aware of the game maker... i made a few simple games using flash.. they may not be professional games but i like them because they turn to be addictive... i also tried to make shockwave 3d games but i can't fully understand how does the director makes 3d objects... if anyone reading this can help me i will apreciate that... the rest (the use of actions) i assume it is similar to the flash, isn't it?
rezxs
I make lots of games, myself.
osbits
I want to make game using c programming language just like the old programmer does.But it is just so difficult to handle so many simi-hardware programming.It is painful but I think you will get more reward when you finish it.
mr rogers
thats awsome, ur game is pretty cool
cloudship
for me, making game is a mission impossible, i just play it, hehe
megastar
i will try it now. thanx for sharing that great thing with the members over here.

so are there any other softwares where we can make mobile games too which run in java environment???

hope i get the reply for this

Exclamation
Whong
Does anyone here use DarkBasic or DarkBasic Pro?

They are programming tools especially made for creating games Laughing
It takes time to learn but you can make 3D games with it and pretty easily! Wink

Check it out here, it's a great programme! Wink

www.darkbasic.com

Have a nice day! Wink Idea
Game Fortress
I have tried a few different languages and programs, but nothing beats GM for production speed and control
sabe
I have tried to introduce game making to 7th & 8th grade students. I had one student able to create something using flash but using GM I have 40 students making simple 2D games. In a couple of weeks they are now in the process of making a scrolling shooter.

Game maker is great! I can't think of a better way to introduce students to game making. Exclamation
rammeh
I tried making a game once, it didn't work out though. Everything got messed up so i just quit. Haha. I tried to make a WoW based game but it didn't work out too well.
sabe
You should try Game Maker. Do the tutorials and it will work. I don't know how old you are but my 7th graders get it.

Hopefully GM will help you. Don't give up. You can do it.
Jakob [JaWGames]
I'm making games in Multimedia Fusion, a great program with many functions although it is a bit expensive to buy the full version but there is a free demo on clickteams website:

www.clickteam.com

Look it up if you are interested!
Starflier
Jakob [JaWGames] wrote:
I'm making games in Multimedia Fusion, a great program with many functions although it is a bit expensive to buy the full version but there is a free demo on clickteams website:

www.clickteam.com

Look it up if you are interested!

I use that too, just upgraded to MMF2 from TGF1... it was like when I upgraded from Klik n' Play, what a difference.

Your games look pretty cool too, wanna try that space shooter one...
petra_portfolio
On school, I can choose the subject gamemaker, and maby, I will do that.
petra_portfolio
I have now done the subject GameMaker. I think it is nice that you can make games without studying for a long period.