FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hosting my first Forum

Damondred
I have done some of my own research, and trial and error, and I just don't know how to do it. I don't really know how to host my own forum (the one I want to host is phpBB). I was wondering, if there is anyone out there that could kind of, guide me through my first hosting process. I don't mean through this forum, but through e-mail, instant messages, private messages on this site, or some such way. I would greatly appreciate the help. If anyone is out there, post on this topic and we can set up a time to chat. Some ways to get to me are:

ragnar1987@gmail.com

AIM: UnknownSoldi3r (I'm always on this.)
Yahoo: pestilence_of_mind (Sometimes on this)

So like I said, please just post in this, I would greatly appreciate any help given.
wumingsden
Damondred wrote:
I have done some of my own research, and trial and error, and I just don't know how to do it. I don't really know how to host my own forum (the one I want to host is phpBB). I was wondering, if there is anyone out there that could kind of, guide me through my first hosting process. I don't mean through this forum, but through e-mail, instant messages, private messages on this site, or some such way. I would greatly appreciate the help. If anyone is out there, post on this topic and we can set up a time to chat. Some ways to get to me are:

ragnar1987@gmail.com

AIM: UnknownSoldi3r (I'm always on this.)
Yahoo: pestilence_of_mind (Sometimes on this)

So like I said, please just post in this, I would greatly appreciate any help given.

Would you like to install it on a server of your own or on an hosting account elsewhere ?
Damondred
Well, I was thinking I could host it on the space provided by Frihost. This is possible, correct?
Bondings
Check this tutorial out: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19192.html . If you need more specific help, feel free to ask.
Damondred
Thanks for the tutorial, trying to do what it says...figureing out the FTP stuff as I go.

Keeps saying Error: document not found everytime I try to make a new FTP account, and when I try to connect using the default FTP account, this is the error message that pops up:

Error: Transfer channel can't be opened. Reason: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing
SpanishNewbie
Okay I've decided to edit this post with a little tutorial.

WARNING: This is for Direct Admin ONLY.
1. Download phpBB's latest version at www.phpbb.com
2. Unzip the package and put it into a folder named something like "phpBB" or "forum" or something of the kind; make it easy to remember.
3. Upload the newly created folder containing all the phpBB files.
4. Go into your Direct Admin control panel and select FTP Management; then select "Create FTP Account". (If you already have an FTP you want to use, then skip steps 4-6 and go to step 7.)
5. Enter the username of the FTP account you would like to use. Make it something you can remember. REMEMBER: A full FTP username consists of a username and an "@domain.com". Make sure you use the full FTP username to connect to it!
6. Enter the password you want to use; then select the first dot, "Domain"; select the Create button.
7. Go to the location you uploaded your phpBB forum at (depending on what you named it, it will be like this: http://www.domain.com/phpBB/)
8. It will ask you to setup the board. It is quite simple. It is self explaining.

You're done!
wumingsden
If you like i will install a forum for you. Although I have closed my shop i still do things for people. Note that if you want me to install it for you then you will not learn. I am happy to do it for you though. (If you want me to PM me your hosting details, if you alreayd have an account)
Damondred
Thanks for the offer Wum, but that will be the last resort. Just trying to sort out my FTP problems right now. The FTP problem I am having is the biggest block right now. I can't even try and install it until I get the FTP working.
wumingsden
Damondred wrote:
Thanks for the offer Wum, but that will be the last resort. Just trying to sort out my FTP problems right now. The FTP problem I am having is the biggest block right now. I can't even try and install it until I get the FTP working.

What are you having trouble with ? An ftp account should have alreayd been made when you was accepted for hosting. I have check the FTP status on server 2 and it seems good.
Damondred
The account is working correctly, except for the fact that I can't create a new account or change the password of the current one. I have narrowed the problem that I am having down to the fact that my school firewall blocks FTP.
So, right now, just trying to figure out proxy stuff to use FTP. I think Filezilla supports proxy right?
wumingsden
Damondred wrote:
The account is working correctly, except for the fact that I can't create a new account or change the password of the current one. I have narrowed the problem that I am having down to the fact that my school firewall blocks FTP.
So, right now, just trying to figure out proxy stuff to use FTP. I think Filezilla supports proxy right?

I believe so, although I recommend using www.web2ftp.com which is a online FTP site. Because its online you don't need any software and it doesn't matter about firewalls.
Are you trying to create an FTP account through DirectAdmin or are you using another way which I know nothing about ?
Damondred
Ok, I have got my proxy going and FTP is working. Thanks for all the help so far. I'll edit this message soon as I run into another error or get everything working.
Damondred
Well guys, everything is working splendid right now! I can't tell you how much I am thankful for all the help I got. Thanks Wum, Blaster, Spanish, and anyone else that I forgot to mention. You were all a great help. I think I learned quite a bit now, but the learning adventure isn't over. Now I must learn at being a good admin. Thanks everyon!
n0obie4life
SpanishNewbie - There is no need to create an FTP account.
Chris24
I can get the page loaded but it looks nothing like the page in the tutorial. All I get is code. Does anyone know what I could have done wrong?
n0obie4life
Chris24 wrote:
I can get the page loaded but it looks nothing like the page in the tutorial. All I get is code. Does anyone know what I could have done wrong?

Confused

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19192.html

You can't see that page properly? Refresh, you shouldn't be seeing code Confused.
Bondings
Chris24 wrote:

Please make a new thread about this problem and mention the exact urls where the problem occurs and I'll take a look at it. It might be that for some reason the php code isn't executed.