FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rome: Total War

popnbrown
When I went to my cuz house last wknd. I experienced the RTS Rome: Total War. I really like how you can control seperate units. like cavalry, infantry, missile. It's not like Empire Earth, where you have to select each and every unit. Also his comp is amazing so you can have a lot of ppl on the battle field.

This is one of my games
S=spear
I=Infant
C=cavalry
E=elephants
A = archers

Enemy army
E C C C E
A A
I I S S S I I

I S S S S I
A A
E C C C E
My Army

So first I sent my cavalry to the left and right side and left one of them with the rest of my army. The enemy army starts to move so I put my spearman down and start sending volleys of arrows into the opposing spearmen and cavalry. After my cavalry were in good positions. I started to rush with my elephants against the opposing elephants. Then let my cavalry loose against the opposing elephants too. Then I started advancing slowly with my spear. Two of the enemy cavalry units tried to stop my advance but thanks to the spears they were stopped. Then I finished off the opposing elephants and the remaining cavalry unit fled. I was about finish the infantry when the spearman started to attack my elephants. I killed my elephant units since they were on a rampage and also lost a cavalry unit. I dropped my spears and attacked from behind the infantry. I won this little battle and started to chase them. I lost another cavalry unit to the spears. So then I started to advance my whole army towards the spearmen. My cavalry was doing pretty bad but then The archers started to bring down some of the opposing spearmen, since they were turned towards the cavalry and the cavalry were aided by the infantry and spearmen. The rest of the opposing army started to flee. I won, by killing 1000 out of 1200 men I lost about 300. It was my first game and a good game too.
springbok
I really enjoyed Rome Total war. The movement is good and the game in general is rather user friendly. The battles are great and require some strategy. Nothing really beats Medieval total war that i have played to death but as XP SP2 causes problems when playing it Rome Total war is a good replacement.

One word of advice, never take horses up against spears, spears will win. Use archers or swordsmen. Mounted archers would be better as they can stay just out of the spears range while still being able to shoot, especially if the spears are in phalanx formation.
popnbrown
That is good advice and my by using logic I did realize that at the time however my cavalry were really close to the spearmen and the speramen just pretty much turned around and kept my horses at bay.

It was like this
C C - my cavalry
S S S - enemy spears

the spears just really had to turn around. I was just planning to quickly run through their lines since I had the advantage of having their backs. Also I was concentrating mainly on my Infantry and spearman and did not realize that my cavalry were that close. I will and should follow you advise more. Thanks
selim06
i was a real fan of this game but i want to play Medival 2:Total War and i haven't Rome for a long time so i can't remember my stratigies...
AftershockVibe
Rome TW is an absolutely superb game. I still play it now! Well, the expansion pack anyway. For the record... pounding the enemy lines with flaming onager missiles is a real stress reliever - highly amusing! Especially when you manage to take out the enemy general in a single shot and see a close up of a boulder landing on him.

I'm amazed at the games depth. I'm still discovering new tactics now.
ForceRun
Are they still using the Rome : Total War engine to make documentaries for the discovery and or history channel?
popnbrown
I think they still are unless if it's a different game they are using I was watching i forgot the channel, but something about a battle of Rome's and it seemed like they used Rome: Total War. I really do not know though. Well who cares it's a good game.
AftershockVibe
I know the BBC did a series of called "Commander" or something where they used the engine to recreate historic battles and see if modern day contestants could win the battle. They told you how the real battle was fought afterwards.
Saryon
Really nice game, nice graphics, nice gameplay, good commanding.
Really fun with those massive battles Very Happy
tormentor
Really total war is an amazing game , good animations , tactics, movment and idea!

I also put cavalary at front lines and all infantary types at the back.. this is ma main strategy at war.
springbok
tormentor wrote:
Really total war is an amazing game , good animations , tactics, movment and idea!

I also put cavalary at front lines and all infantary types at the back.. this is ma main strategy at war.

The problem with this tactic is that if i were to put my spears 3 - 4 deep, behind them the infantry, then the archers with the cavalry wide on the flanks you might find it difficlt to win the battle.

Wink
jarcelao
My friends say that this game is one hell of an RTS game and I'm really looking forward in grabbing a copy to experience it myself! Smile
taxman
And they are now releasing the Alexander The great exp. pack + Medieval 2 is just around the corner (and then some Crying or Very sad ) away.

I've been playing Rome and barbarian exp. more or less weekly since the release in 2004. I just can't wait to get my swetty player hands on those above mentioned games.
NemoySpruce
I just started playing Rome TW... its great. really addictive, great way to learn some history... it feels great to win a battle with 300+ men against 1400+ ... unleash hell!
domex
I play in the Rome Total War 2years
I have completed Capamaign
Game is easy
taxman
domex wrote:
I play in the Rome Total War 2years
I have completed Capamaign
Game is easy

At normal level the game is a walk in the park.
Try out some of the harder levels, and as a "weaker" tribe, and you'll have a hard time winning. If you mod your game to make all tribes playable, you could try to be armanian at hard level - if you succed in that, pls tell me - then I'm impressed.
Commando_Sondre
I remember one battle very good. It was like the battle at Minas Tirith, a city under attack, one huge army of infantery and another army of only horses:

I'd taken over the entire Italy, and I was pleased with that, so I started to make some strong armys. But, the Greeks didn't like my little empire, so they took t a huge fleet and sailed up to Rome. The sieged it, but one of my huge horse armys was nearby.

I moved my army closer and attacked the army of Greeks. I organized my army so that it was a long line (I had the largest number of solidiers in the options menu) And I started my offensive. Inside the city my catapults bombed the infantery on the outside and my horses rushed against them.

After some seconds the entire Greek army discovered my horse army and turned around. Lucky for me that their general was in the front. Suddenly one of the catapults hits the group to the general and the generals dies. All the solidiers got scared and started to run, but it was to late.

Ten seconds later my horse army hit the poor infatery solidiers to Greek and all started to flee. The horseattack took under half a minute before there was no man left! I lost 30 horses (I had 1800), the Greeks lost 4600 solidiers. I felt like a hero, the Greeks was crushed, now my road to victory started! Very Happy
drakordern
I love ROME and the interface in it, but I would love if they uppgraded Shogun to the format rome has.
I really liked shogun but it was so flat. the only thing that was funny was the battles, not like rome, in rome you can play the entire game wihtout playing a single battle and it΄s still funny.
matttai
Lol i love this game. The funny thing about strategy games is i love trying to make it through by just building one type of unit. Obviously not the most strategically efficient strategy but it the best feeling when you can play hit and run with an army entirely composed of archers.
You can then bait a few of the enemy one at a time until you can shrink their army enough then the AI will break Smile I've been through tonnes of missions this one with no losses!
Varo
It is a fun game but strategy tends to fall to the wayside later in the game when you have alot of settlements. When you can pump out 10+ units every round then you can vastly out number your enemies if you choose your battles wisely. I like to put spear units up in the first battle line with heavy infranty on its flank and in the second line. Of course calvary is very useful to killing units that have phlanx formations since they can out flank them easily.
s43ros
AftershockVibe wrote:
For the record... pounding the enemy lines with flaming onager missiles is a real stress reliever - highly amusing! Especially when you manage to take out the enemy general in a single shot and see a close up of a boulder landing on him.

An addition to the record, I think one of the coolest looking thigs in the game is to hit roman legionaries in a testudo formation with a flaming onager missle, right in the middle, it's like a flower of flaming people. I recently reinstalled it on my new pc so i'm back at it.
matttai
s43ros wrote:
AftershockVibe wrote:
For the record... pounding the enemy lines with flaming onager missiles is a real stress reliever - highly amusing! Especially when you manage to take out the enemy general in a single shot and see a close up of a boulder landing on him.

An addition to the record, I think one of the coolest looking thigs in the game is to hit roman legionaries in a testudo formation with a flaming onager missle, right in the middle, it's like a flower of flaming people. I recently reinstalled it on my new pc so i'm back at it.

lol! that is awesome
Harley14
I'm another big fan of RTW and many other RTS games. I can't wait for MTW 2 and I'm just praying my hardware can support it. I could run RTW fine on medium/almost high settings. I was soooo gutted when my PC wasnt good enough for Battle for Middle Earth 2 so I'm waiting for it on the 360. Is
Phil
Man, I want to get this game! My son had Shogun and turned me on to Medevial: Total War. Really got into it. (There was a really cool website that a very detailed strategy guide, Totalwar.org I think- what ever happened to it??)
Problem is my computer is archaic and I could never run the game and my wife wants to buy stuff like furniture and clothes instead of getting a new computer!
What a bummer!!! Crying or Very sad
Varo
Phil wrote:
Man, I want to get this game! My son had Shogun and turned me on to Medevial: Total War. Really got into it. (There was a really cool website that a very detailed strategy guide, Totalwar.org I think- what ever happened to it??)
Problem is my computer is archaic and I could never run the game and my wife wants to buy stuff like furniture and clothes instead of getting a new computer!

Yeah it tends to be really hard on your computer. Like if I get a battle with over 10,000 troops my ati radeon x800 pro starts to lag around somewhat. Then it really gets bad if you make the game speed go to times three or your archers fire flaming arrows.
taxman
Varo wrote:
Phil wrote:

Yeah it tends to be really hard on your computer. Like if I get a battle with over 10,000 troops my ati radeon x800 pro starts to lag around somewhat. Then it really gets bad if you make the game speed go to times three or your archers fire flaming arrows.

I had the same problem, but it's not the card that is the problem. It's memory. Before when I was playing, it always lagged when clashing 2 or 3 large armies togheter. After upgrading to 2 gig of memory I've never had the problem again. It runs smooth, so that I can concentrate on killing enemies rather than cursing the computer for lagging.
Phil
I noticed even with Medival: Total War if I would have more than a few units fighting it would bog down my little 933 Mgz Dell.
It's sad because it is a really cool game.
NemoySpruce
does anyone remember this game ?[wikipedia.org] just thought it was similar to total war Very Happy
Phil
Quote:
does anyone remember this game ?

You Know, One of the first computer games we owned was The Ancient Art of War in the Skies., a sequel to the game mentioned. Ran great on my 486dx-2!
That game was a kick in the pants.
MonkeyWrench
its a good game, shall it has so many flaws in it. So many patches released, so little to show for it.
Osprey
I just got RTW Gold, this is a great game! Hard to beleive it is almost 2 years old, this game looks great on a new system with all the detail cranked to max. It is a bit overwhelming at first but the help system is excellent. The camaign map is fun but the battles are awsome!

This game did crash on me once while playing the tutorial, which is a pain since you can't save the tutorial. But I learned enough that I was able to jump into a full campaign. Haven't had any more crashes since, but if it does at least it autosaves when going into battle.

The attention to detail in this game is amazing. I love the general's speaches at the begining of battle, they are very inspiring and have relevence to past events and the current situation. I think I'll be playing this game for a long time.

As for Medieval 2, looks like it will be sweet, but I'll be busy conquering Rome for quite a while.
Phil
So there's going to be a Medival 2? Wow. When will it be out? As good as the first Medival was and given how neat Rome is, this should be a awesome game.
Just wondering, anyone here played Europa Universallis? The concept is similiar to Medival: Total War, but different time frame and doesn't have the 3-D battles. Also Europa is much more intricate when it came to diplomacy and trade.