FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Isaac Asmoiv

cronic5
I doubt anyone has heard of him. He is a scientist who mainly writes about physics. Anyone ever read any of his books? Just wanting to see how many other people out there are intrested in physics.
foggy
I've never read any of his books, I have only heard of him because of the recent release of the movie "I, Robot" which was based on his books. By the way, I think the correct spelling of his last name is "Asimov."
Texas Al
You people haven't heard of Asimov???

Who else have you not heard of? Arthur C. Clarke? Robert Heinlein? Ray Bradbury?
Shocked

I mean, these guys might not be Shakespeare (British guy who wrote plays and poems) or Mark Twain (American guy who wrote novels) but WTF, they practically created the genre of science fiction, and science fiction is part of your heritage as gaming/computer/web geeks! Science fiction is what first expanded people's imaginations enough to invent computers, the internet, and all those cool video games and movies.

But it's probably not entirely your fault. There are two features to data that make it matter to people these days. It has to be free and it has to be online. Sure you can go to the public library and borrow a book by any of these authors for free, but these days that's too slow. If it's not available instantly, it might as well be unavailable. By not releasing their works to the public domain, the estates of these authors are cutting them out of our cultural heritage, and making the next generation a little bit dumber and stunted.

We can't do anything about the shortsightedness of others. But here's what you can do... browse Amazon.com and buy a used anthology of Asimov's short stories. It will cost you like $5 USD including shipping. Now you'll have something to keep you from being bored when you're someplace you can't take your computer with you.

PS: I don't like Asimov as much as I like more modern sci-fi authors, but he played an important role, and I read enough of his stuff to at least have been able to make that judgement.
memsa
I read Aasimov when I was much younger but I would love to read him again.

I also enjoyed:
Greg Baer
Julian May
some of Michael Crichton
DimAce
Yes, I like this author. Additionally he was my countryman. He was born in the village Petrovichi near Smolensk, Russia Smile
Texas Al
Privet!

Ia iz moskvi... no zhivu uzhe mnogo let v ES-ESH-A.
minikiltman
never heard of him.
darkelven
cronic5 wrote:
I doubt anyone has heard of him. He is a scientist who mainly writes about physics. Anyone ever read any of his books? Just wanting to see how many other people out there are intrested in physics.

what you say??

Isaac Asimov wrote Foundation , I remeber, abd it was a great book! All people that knows about books may have heard about it

Also is was in the Star Trke tv serie, and wrote somw scientific books I guess, but I'm not sure.

Well, I still don't finish to read Foundation, but I'm on this.
WickedGravity
Issac Assimov is the father of Science Fiction. The Foundation series reshaped the entire way that the genre was written and, seeing as he has written 400+ novels, he is pretty damn popular.

Granted, I will not lie. I like Heinlein better, it is a sad thing but I do.

However, without people like Assimov, there would be no movies like the ones you see everyday.
Derleth
WickedGravity wrote:
Issac Assimov is the father of Science Fiction.
Uh, Jules Verne and H. G. Welles came well before Asimov, but Asimov was one of the fathers of modern science fiction. For example, Asimov invented the idea that fictional robots don't have to be monsters or allegories but can be tools, instead. In fact, Asimov coined the word "robotics".

This page contains a wealth of information about Isaac Asimov.
pm22
I'm pleased to see that people know of Aisek Asimov. He emigrated
from Russia to the U.S. when he was very young and since then
created hundreds of great pieces.

Agreed: Foundation is his greatest work, although I liked only the
first two parts. The rest when the Second Foundation starts to
search for some other mental force reminds me of the endless
Babylon 5.

His movies: I robot, for sure and Bicentennial Man. There is one
more but I forgot about it.

His greatest invention: three laws of robotics. This stuff
propagates all through his novels, and shows how even the
most well-thought laws can turn against the creators.

Where can I find one? If you read Russian go to www.lib.ru

Even if you don't you might find some English text there.
It's txt format, so you can print it or read it off your PDA.
comsci18
oh Yeah
i read his book
i love sciene story
Cassiowt
darkelven wrote:
cronic5 wrote:

what you say??

Isaac Asimov wrote Foundation , I remeber, abd it was a great book! All people that knows about books may have heard about it

Also is was in the Star Trke tv serie, and wrote somw scientific books I guess, but I'm not sure.

Well, I still don't finish to read Foundation, but I'm on this.

Isaac Asimov, is the father of modern the Science Fiction, all shows of TV or Films, such as them to blokblouster Star Wars, have some removed ideas of its books and stories. Asimov always if basiou in the possible reality science to create the theory of its novels. In books of the Foundation it for more than counts to the history of the evolution of a galático empire 20,000 years, and in all the 7 books that never form the series it become flat, always discover a new boarding in each new page.
benwhite
Asimov also wrote science and astonomy books for kids. I had a couple when I was growing up.

I, Robot the movie butchered the book and the series in general. Didn't really have all that much to do with each other, which is a shame. Really interesting stuff in the books. Asimov is a huge figure. The Foundation series especially shows some real creative and original work.
Nyizsa
I like Asimov very much. Yes, he can be called the founder of science-fiction, he has very good books. But don't forget that he wrote scientifical books, too! Read Exploding suns if you are able to! It's about supernovas and birth and death of stars. Even though it's a scientifical book, it has a bit of his style, so it is very entertaining to read.
Cassiowt
Nyizsa wrote:
I like Asimov very much. Yes, he can be called the founder of science-fiction, he has very good books. But don't forget that he wrote scientifical books, too! Read Exploding suns if you are able to! It's about supernovas and birth and death of stars. Even though it's a scientifical book, it has a bit of his style, so it is very entertaining to read.

Not wise person who Asimov wrote books for children, I have two children one of 10 and another one of 3 years, could say the name to me of some of these books, would like gift for my older son very.
tinothompson
i've always had a soft spot for asimov, have read about 10 of his books so far, including some from the foundation series and all the robot stories (quite a lot of them!)

he's not the most artistic of writers, your kids probably won't end up studying too many of his books, but what impressed me was the consistency of his vision, with characters and concepts recurring time and again throughout his literary career for many years and in different series of books. you have to admire that kind of consistency. i was glad to see also that he has a hell of a lot of reasonable ideas about what the future might be like, rather than just the more fanciful ideas, and sets the foundation series very far into the future (it ends up like thousands of years from now!) rather than going for 2020-2030 like every other science fiction writer ever.
krumilur
I'm reading the Foundation series at the moment. Really interesting.
pookpooi
he's fountain of idea
his trick in I-Robot made me confused
riv_
I love that early Sci-Fi stuff. Where it was much Science and philosophy as it was fiction... when all these authours were publishing papers and essays on the side because fiction wasn't an adequate forum to express their ideas and creativity.
(Einstein said "Imagination is more important than intelligence," and these guys took it to heart!)
Asimov is good. Heinlen is a favorite. Aldous Huxley is brilliant!
I think I like best of all the way early science fiction is born of excitement. Science was young and people were excited at the possibilities, and weren't so jaded. They were so fascinated and enthusiastic about the intracacies of how the world is put together.
I think that excitement, creativity, joy is a beautiful thing.
coolclay
I love Asimov as well, I have read many of his short stories, and they are excellent. Some of them really make you think.
nevzaimnij
Asimov is one of my favorite foreign writers Exclamation Very Happy
lycadia
He's also the only person to date to have authored or editted a book published in every single Dewey Decimal category. The head librarian was told that when I was work-studying at my university library for a couple years and I even double checked becuase I was stunned to learn about his contributions in the more uncharacteristic areas. I was in awe. I still am. He's not my favorite sci fi author for light reading but none of them would be popular (or perhaps even exist as authors in the genre) without his influance.
Not only can I not imagine not knowing who he is, I'm not sure I can imagine a world without his contributions.
Great man, all around.
*toasts his memory*
legion
he's the greatest sci-fi writer ever

The Robots of Dawn is absolutely amazing

only Arthur C. Clarke can match him
Ankaret
Huh, I have several of his books laying around waiting to be read, simply because of that "greatest sci-fi author" status that is often times bestowed upon him, but Ive simply been too busy to read them lately. Is he anything like Alfred Bester? I really enjoy sci-fi when there is a huge focus on character development as well.
pristine
cronic5 wrote:

i started reading asimov's books a few years back. the first book i read was fantastic voyage. i loved that book, although the thing about shrinking gets me sometimes.

since then, i've been reading (on and off) his anthology of science fiction short stories--before the golden age trilogy. i like those personal anecdotes most of all! very amusing!
Tasukii
I read Foundation and all the novels about the robots. I enjoy every word he wrote. It's so futurist but so real in the same time. I don't like the movie they made about the robots but I still think Asimov is the best sci fi writer. Ever.
godset
Asimov was a brilliant scientist/writer Here's a URL ta a list of Isaac Asimov's book titles, arranged by categories in the same fashion as in his autobiographies

I`ve read most of it and enloyed every minute.

http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_catalogue.html
mcval
I'm reading "The Caves of Steel" by Isaac Asimov. It's the first book I have read by him and I'm really enjoying it. I like the effort he takes to build up a realistic futuristic culture.
misomichael
Derleth wrote:
For example, Asimov invented the idea that fictional robots don't have to be monsters or allegories but can be tools, instead. In fact, Asimov coined the word "robotics".

The robots in Capek's 1920 play, R.U.R.,(the first time the word "robot" was used in its modern sense), were tools, and the general idea of man-made automaton helpers predates that by a couple of centuries. Asimov is rightly credited with coining the word "robotics" and with developing his three laws of robotics, but he certainly didn't come up with the idea of intelligent or semi-intelligent machines as tools.
gilestomes
Isaac Asimov was born in the former Soviet Union, but grew up in Brooklyn, New York. He taught biochemistry at Boston University until he retired in 1958 to become a full-time writer. Asimov had been publishing short stories since the late 1930s, and in 1952 published his first novel. The author of the classic I, Robot series and The Foundation Trilogy, Asimov wrote more than 400 books and won every major science fiction award. He also wrote popular books and essays on science and technology, earning him the nickname "The Great Explainer."

--cheers
nskaushik
come on i guess the movie IRobot would bring in something familiar...asimov is an alltime favourite and the first name that comes to mind when we talk of sci-fi..lovely books large collections of stories...he has enlisted all of what we can think of in the future..and that too with a great deal of logic and humour behind it..Smile
xkarenflowerx
i remember reading some of his books a few years ago. . i quite liked them ^.^
drkarthi
Though I,Robot film named after Asimov's book the actual story is not a story by Asimov. Only the idea and Few other things like the three laws of robotics were adopted from his books.

I think Asimov is the greatest Sci-Fi author though he has written lot of non fiction books.
Awako
drkarthi wrote:
I think Asimov is the greatest Sci-Fi author though he has written lot of non fiction books.

just as you say! Isaac Asimov is the greatest author.

i have read his nice writings many times.
The foundation Series,Robot Series,and so on
(but it seems abstruse for me to understand his science essay..)

Robots who depicted as human beings,such as Giskard Reventlow, are attractive characters.

"Robots and Empire" is best for me.That was my first contact with Ashimov.
If someone who have never read his writings were here, I really would liked to recommend "The Caves of Steel"! Its more like a mystery.

anyway..one newspaper article that Asimov passed away had grieved me all the time Crying or Very sad