FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Power Problem?

dz9c
Whenever I turn on the fan in my room, the screen in my computer monitor shakes... Right now its like having a seizure. The top right corner seems to be unaffected though... Can anyone explain this to me please? I know its quite obvious but just curious as to know more
Chris24
lol, do you have lights on in the room or no?
RiCtee
Do you mean the monitor itself or the thing you see inside?? If it's the physical one then it's probably the strong power of the fan blowing on it, which is unlikely.

I think I had experience that "seizure" before. It's like the side of the screen is bending to the back and then moving front. That happened on a really old CRT monitor (about 7-8 years ago), but I don't know if it's the same problem as yours. Describe it more.
a.Bird
Try moving your fan further from your monitor. It's probably the electomagnetic waves from the fan's motor that's affecting the picture on your monitors screen.
garghya
dz9c wrote:
Whenever I turn on the fan in my room, the screen in my computer monitor shakes... Right now its like having a seizure. The top right corner seems to be unaffected though... Can anyone explain this to me please? I know its quite obvious but just curious as to know more

I hope you are already solved this problem.

The assumtions: 1. you are using a old CRT monitor.
2. Your Fan is also quite OLD
3. Do you have DC current Supply?
4. Is the fan a DC fan with a large coil?

If so then definitely the magnetic field created is affecting the CRT monitor. Keep the fan at a more distant place and see if resolves. but it is always better to have a diffeerrent fan because ultimately the monitor may be defective of that.

Another thing I would like to ask you to do is the Degauss. If you go to monitor settings probably there should be a function called degauss. it just removes the effects of the magnetic fields in the monitor. just select that function and the screen will be vigorusly shaken. you will have better picture if you do this. doing this periodically also may help you.

please let us know if you find what was the problem.
Donutey
CRT or LCD?
dz9c
THANKS! Its a CRT and its a little new but quite old lol just got it last year but its a NORTHGATE so anything can happen lmao.. So electromagnetic waves huh? Well I cant move the fan because its in my window and I cant move my whole desk and computer over so I guess I just cant run both at the same time Confused
THANKS EVERYONE! Very Happy
SoftStag
You could get an LCD monitor, this will not be affected in the same way as a CRT.
Guyon
While putting the fan in a different part of the room will not bring in cool air it will still add circulation with will still help more then nothing.

I agree that the problem is the electromagnetic waves of the fan being so close, but it it still happens when the pan is farther away you might want to try using a UPS (Uninterrupted power supply) box to protect your monitor and PC. I would get one anyway just to protect them and save data against sudden power loss.

good luck!