FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Airconditioning in cars

qbawler311
My buddy refuses to use his AC in his car when it's hot. He just rolls all the windows down. It doesn't bother me as much as it does other people who ride in his car, but another friend of mine said that he saw an experiment on MYTHBUSTERS that proved that using AC while driving uses none/very little gas.

Is this true?
Blaster
I seen the same thing. I belive it was the oppiste. Just like driving with the tailgate down makes even more drag. I don't know about the ac thing 100% though. It has been a long time since I have seen that episiod.
mathiaus
If you do that you pump the crap out of the car in front's exhaust right inside of your car Twisted Evil
If you open the widows while you get everyones pollution its much less concentrated.
Mr Smith
I use air conditioning heaps on my motorbike...

wait, thats stupid...

It sucks gas hardcore man, you should only use it when its winter.
David_Pardy
Just make sure you let him know that he needs to run it for at least 5 minutes a week to keep the o rings in the a/c system lubricated. Otherwise they will eventually dry out, causing the a/c gas to leak and that can stuff the compressor.

I don't use the 'fresh air' option in my a/c unless I'm driving where there's no traffic. I'd rather not suck pollution into my car =/.

There's also something exhilirating about driving with the windows down at 110km/h though Very Happy.
xorcist
There's always AC in my car. I live in florida and its hot everyday so we have to have the AC on.
HDirtwater
xorcist wrote:
There's always AC in my car. I live in florida and its hot everyday so we have to have the AC on.

Amen to that. As a matter of fact, in a few weeks, we have what I call here in Florida, the "perma-air." That is when I turn on the air in the house, and don't turn it off again until Oct. Think I'm kidding? Just ask anyone who lives here what it's like in the summer...
Blaster
I don't live there but vist a lot. It was januaray and warm there. What you think is cold is nice to us. And we go through the same thing too. Florida is hot. Really really hot. That makes it fun to go to. Nice beaches and everything. I was down there the end of september Very Happy It was hot then so i can belive it. Very Happy
Hobbit
I live in Imperial Valley, California(a hole), and it's super hot just like florida. So I could care less if it wastes gas or not, I turn the ac on. It's interesting though how it doesn't waste gas, I thought it did.
Pablo Diablo
The MythBusters episode said that using A/C is cheaper on fuel economy at speeds of 55 miles per hour and faster. At those speeds, the drag that the open windows induce on the car causes it to work harder to accelerate then if the A/C was on and the windows were up.

So since then when in the city I drive with my windows open (Unless it's boiling out, then it's worth it to spend a bit more for gas), and when going 45 km or faster I put them up.

Another reason why I put them up at 45 or faster is because I can't stand how loud the wind is at those speeds.
ocalhoun
Another little quirk is that the effect of the A/C on fuel milage is more pronounced in vehicles with smaller engines, because a higher percentage of the engine's power is being used to coot the car.

But, yes it does use more gas (in my saturn it would cost about 2mpg), but then again does all your accesories.
The light from your headlights, the sound coming out of your speakers, the motion of the windsheild wipers... All that energy has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is ultamately your gas tank.
jayandsilo
Blaster wrote:
I seen the same thing. I belive it was the oppiste. Just like driving with the tailgate down makes even more drag. I don't know about the ac thing 100% though. It has been a long time since I have seen that episiod.

It was that having the window down created drag enough so that you used more fuel accelerating than if you had the aircon on. Delayed broadcast in Australia, hehe
byt
you could leave the a/c off and the windows up and just sweat it out, you'd save gas and loose weight too Laughing

seriously a/c in the uk is almost a waste of time but with a big engine you don't really notice the fuel difference.

what I can't understand is that a mate has just bought a 1971 caddy convertable and it has the optional a/c, why the hell did anyone pay extra to have a/c in that? Rolling Eyes
Rookiejas
In aus it's too hot to have no ac, but the pollution is very little compared to the car it's self, so i would say "WHO GIVE A SCREW", if he is one of those ppl who love the enviroment he has his rights, it's his car so leave him along
aenemike
Yeah, I saw that Mythbusters that was posted before... Jamie and Adam filled 2 identical SUV's with equal amounts of gas and drove until the gas ran out. The SUV with it's windows down ran out of gas first (supposedly due to drag) but the SUV with the air on didn't last very much longer. I think it was something like 20 miles more, which was like 1-2 miles per gallon.
Not real significant. Of course with gas prices doing what they're doing, every little bit helps, right?
ryanh2006
Yep a ride in a car in summer without A/C is just nuts in my books no matter how much a gallon of gas costs!! Pollution, noise, heat, sweat... no thank u! I lived in Saudi Arabia for 2 years and life woudln't exist there is the a/c was not invented!!!!! I mean damn you don't know heat until you live there in like mid August when its like 50 degrees C (122F) during the day. Everything there comes with an a/c! It sucks because I am more of a fresh air guy myself, and a/cs need to constantly be cleaned for them to produce pure clean air. Anyways I gtg so take care guys.
Code of Ruin
Maybe airco costs a little more gas. That really doesn't bother me since there is nothing more annoying than arriving at a destination already sweaty. And driving with the windows down causes a lot of drag which leads to a higher fuel consumption. So the argument is pretty stupid anyway, or you loose gas to the window or to the airco. Presides driving with windows down at high speed makes an awful noise.
I say, use airco.
benjad
I saw that episode of mythbusters, and I really don't buy it. Because of the small amount of gas used in each stroke, the engines would "sputter" out before they completely run out of gas. It was a good attempt at a real scientific study, but just not good enough.

The better way to do this would have been to mointor a CO2 sensor to the exhaust to calculate actual fuel consumption, because even as they mentioned, driver styles affect fuel consumption.

Did some other research on this topic... DYK that the fuel consumption for your vehicle is calculated before "accessories" are added, such as external mirrors, windshield wipers, raido antennas. The afforementioned items actually add a significant amount of drag, and ensure you never reach the advertised MPG.
Ester
I wish the air-conditioning worked in my car, it's been broke for the 2years. The cost of repair is about 500 euros. I'd rather wind down the windows.
kam311
AC is essential where I'm at (Florida, USA)...besides, it was invented here...we'd all probably be dead by now if it wasn't for AC!
Mr Smith
byt wrote:
you could leave the a/c off and the windows up and just sweat it out, you'd save gas and loose weight too :lol:

seriously a/c in the uk is almost a waste of time but with a big engine you don't really notice the fuel difference.

what I can't understand is that a mate has just bought a 1971 caddy convertable and it has the optional a/c, why the hell did anyone pay extra to have a/c in that? :roll:

If you want to be an idiot... buy a how to use air conditioning in your car guide off byt... as it sure will.... "byt" you back when your suffering from major de-hydration.

Dumb ass XD
AACrT
I did't see that episode of "mythbusters" so I can't speak on the validity of their experiment.

I can say though that the drag thing will change based on the type of car and on the speed your going,.

the driving habits of each individual change dramatically and have a significant impact on fuel economy.

road conditions, tire pressures, outside temperature, your position relative to sea level, traffic conditions and speed all have a bearing on fuel economy, with or without the a/c on or the windows open.

in a small 3 or 4 cylinder vehicle just having the a/c on kills your fuel mileage due to the increase in engine load, to reduce this shut the windows, use tint/shades on the windows, shut the fresh air door all to keep the temp down inside the car, this will reduce the time the a/c compressor is on, reducing the extra load on the engine.

In a bigger vehicle that has a large 6 or even an 8 cylinder you won't notice much difference with the a/c on or off as far as fuel economy goes. these engines are wasting lots of energy already the a/c compressor almost just redirects wasted energy.

The real question here should be:

How do we increase the efficiency of internal combustion engines, so as to save fuel, and be able to run our a/c systems without the need to read forums like this? (the engine in your car wastes more than 50% of it's fuel due to drag on the car, friction on the ground, heat production, unused fuel, etc.)
psycosquirrel
I have a 6 cylinder BMW, and the AC is busted. So I drive with the windows open, almost all the time.
falconfx
I own a car with an automatic AC and I nearly always drive with it powered on.

It maintains a pleasant temperature in my car and I don't need to open windows.

I know it consumes about 20-30% plus fuel but take in mind that with opened windows you breathe pollution and increase the air resistance against your car.
byt
Mr Smith wrote:
byt wrote:
you could leave the a/c off and the windows up and just sweat it out, you'd save gas and loose weight too Laughing

what I can't understand is that a mate has just bought a 1971 caddy convertable and it has the optional a/c, why the hell did anyone pay extra to have a/c in that? Rolling Eyes

If you want to be an idiot... buy a how to use air conditioning in your car guide off byt... as it sure will.... "byt" you back when your suffering from major de-hydration.

Dumb *** XD

before you start calling people names maybe you should read their posts a little more carefully or do you not understand the point of smilies???

I posted a Laughing to indicate I was NOT serious

now whos the Dumb *** Rolling Eyes Razz Laughing
driftingfe3s
David_Pardy wrote:
Just make sure you let him know that he needs to run it for at least 5 minutes a week to keep the o rings in the a/c system lubricated. Otherwise they will eventually dry out, causing the a/c gas to leak and that can stuff the compressor.

Wow, I didn't know that. I'll make sure to do that to my car from now on.
710ths
[seriously a/c in the uk is almost a waste of time but with a big engine you don't really notice the fuel difference. ]

I seriously disagree. Just try sitting on the motorway in a traffic jam in summer for 2 hours, A/C is a must. Windows down has no effect what so ever. You just can not get enough air into the car.

Regarding the original post, seems your friend bought the wrong car. He should have gone for a convertable.

Having driven many miles (30,000) a year A/C does have an impact on fuel but the pleasure of a cool clean environment while driving is a small price to pay.
byt
710ths wrote:
[seriously a/c in the uk is almost a waste of time but with a big engine you don't really notice the fuel difference. ]

I seriously disagree. Just try sitting on the motorway in a traffic jam in summer for 2 hours, A/C is a must. Windows down has no effect what so ever. You just can not get enough air into the car.

how many times per year do you sit 2 hours in a traffic jam when it's hot, we're lucky if we get 4 weeks really hot weather a year hence I said it's almost a waste of time. just the same with a covertable in the uk, 9 months of the year it's too cold or wet, 2 months you only put the top down cos ya can leaving only one month when it's really nice to have a convertable unfortunatly for this months pleasure you get 12 months worry that some littls scrote will stick a stanley knife through the hood Crying or Very sad
ocalhoun
byt wrote:

Some people live where it actually gets hot...
During the summer where I live it is not uncommon to hear of babies, pets, or old people that died because they were left in a car without A/C.

The interior of a car can get extremely hot, and without A/C you have precious little you can do to cool it off.

I can't leave anything temperature-sensitive in my truck in the sun. (For example chocolate) It'll melt in no time.

When it's 100+f outside, A/C is a must.
mceejaydee
How exactly can AC reduce gas usage?
ocalhoun
mceejaydee wrote:

It increases gas usage.
byt
ocalhoun wrote:
byt wrote:

Some people live where it actually gets hot...
During the summer where I live it is not uncommon to hear of babies, pets, or old people that died because they were left in a car without A/C.

The interior of a car can get extremely hot, and without A/C you have precious little you can do to cool it off.

I can't leave anything temperature-sensitive in my truck in the sun. (For example chocolate) It'll melt in no time.

When it's 100+f outside, A/C is a must.

but it's convertable so surely you would want the top down if it's sunny? that or why buy a convertable?
byt
mceejaydee wrote:

at speed a car with the windows down will cause so much more wind resistance that it is a cheaper alternative to close the windows and use the a/c. using a/c will use more gas than not using a/c but windows down will use more than a/c
fernando5k
Hello Everybody!

In my case, i use the AC when the weather conditions are heavy!

One of the reason is, when i drive my car, i preffer to drive with down windows because i think it's cool to feel the fresh air directly in my face (but my hair didn't say the same Laughing )

In the night i use the AC more, because some avenues in my city are dangerous jejeje not much, but i think is better if i prevent a crime!. Other reason to use it is when i use the AC is when the rain don't let me to open the windows jejeje...

The biggest problem is... my car doesn't have climatronic (only AC), I have a Mercury Mystique, and it's not possible to regulate exactly the temperature in the interior in my car because climatronic it's more confortable at the moment that i use it.

it's a cool car, i love this one!!!! but doesn't have this equipment.

Very Happy
fernando5k
Nice trucks! jejeje V8?

I love the V8 sound from the trucks or sport cars!!!!

Hey byt!!
What kind of motor does it have?
byt
fernando5k wrote:
Nice trucks! jejeje V8?

I love the V8 sound from the trucks or sport cars!!!!

Hey byt!!
What kind of motor does it have?

500ci v8, electric everything Cool
Dimaod
qbawler311 wrote:
My buddy refuses to use his AC in his car when it's hot. He just rolls all the windows down. It doesn't bother me as much as it does other people who ride in his car, but another friend of mine said that he saw an experiment on MYTHBUSTERS that proved that using AC while driving uses none/very little gas.

Is this true?

I dont know about gas< but some times you can catch a cold, if you sit near air conditioner Exclamation
StefanK
hope it doesnt happen, AC IS AWESOMEMAN!