FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cURL extension to PHP

simplyw00x
Since the grand server 1 crash of dooooom, the curl-php module seems entirely non-functional. This is critical for several aspects of WordPress installations and I imagine many other things as well. Please could this be fixed, if you find the time.

Many thanks.
wumingsden
simplyw00x wrote:
Since the grand server 1 crash of dooooom, the curl-php module seems entirely non-functional. This is critical for several aspects of WordPress installations and I imagine many other things as well. Please could this be fixed, if you find the time.

Many thanks.

The curl-php module has not been re-installed on Server 1. Some believe that it can be easily abused, and also that only some WordPress extensions need it to function properly; wordpress can run without the curl-php module installed. The suggestion has been heard and the curl-php module will most likely be installed in the future.

Topic left open for more discussion.
simplyw00x
I hadn't realised that it was delibreately omitted; thanks for the info. The reason I'd like it is for the OpenID support and Blogger import in Wordpress.
wumingsden
simplyw00x wrote:
I hadn't realised that it was delibreately omitted; thanks for the info. The reason I'd like it is for the OpenID support and Blogger import in Wordpress.

I'm gathering that they are extensions to WordPress, right ?
Anyways, the curl-php module will be installed sometime in the future although Apache will need to be recompiled for it to work which takes a while and which also generates a high server load and some downtime. it is not one of the highest priorities at the moment as you probably can imagine.
simplyw00x
Yes, they are extensions to WP. Thanks for your informative responses - I guess I'll just have to wait then.
simplyw00x
Not to nag or anything, but having looked around a bit, only php needs to be recompiled with --with-curl=/usr --with-curlwrappers. Or alternatively, an RPM package for CentOS (server 1's OS) is available fairly easily, but I don't think it would work well or at all with a built-from-source PHP (probably built from source for speed or something). I know it's not really a top priority but it'd be nice if I could get some 'official' response on if and when (roughly0 this might happen so I can look into alternative solutions or maybe another host.
Bondings
Yes I will add it as you requested (I don't really like to add it though). It will just take some time.
wumingsden
Bondings wrote:
Yes I will add it as you requested (I don't really like to add it though). It will just take some time.

Note to simplyw00x that I informed Bondings about your request, my replies had bits in that Bondings said.

I guess you've got your "official" answer, I think this should be -locked- now