FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Iframes?

cerisedesign
I don't know if i'm stupid, though i'm blonde... but i'm quite sure i'm intelligent Very Happy Some people tried to explain me how to put IFrames on my webpage, and i never understood how it works??? I'm the kind of person which need to understand EVERYTHING about something to understand a simple thing. I'm beginning in programming, i dont have any other problems but IFRAMES!!! If someone is patient and willing to help me, pleeeease do it Smile
wumingsden
cerisedesign wrote:
I don't know if i'm stupid, though i'm blonde... but i'm quite sure i'm intelligent Very Happy Some people tried to explain me how to put IFrames on my webpage, and i never understood how it works??? I'm the kind of person which need to understand EVERYTHING about something to understand a simple thing. I'm beginning in programming, i dont have any other problems but IFRAMES!!! If someone is patient and willing to help me, pleeeease do it Smile

<iframes> is simply a frame that you can use on one website to embed another. For example, if I were to put the following code into one of my webpages then Google.co.uk would be embedded into the center of my page, with the height of width of 450 and height of 100.....

Code:

<iframe src="http://www.google.co.uk" width=450 height=100 align="center"></iframe>

You can find more attributes (and a example) here
Game Fortress
Iframes may not be the best choice for what you are doing though. Sometimes browsers dont support them, or they become cluttered with scrollbars if the viewer is looking at the page on a lower resolution than you.
engeland
well to start of right, you need to explain to us what your problems are with Iframes. We could go on and on, and in the end not solve you problem Confused
Bengt
Iframes are a fairly good solution to embed a page in your mainpage.
I use it alot actually. It's just that one piece of code Wink
{name here}
Frames are frowned down upon on web design. Learn to use Layers(DIVs).
Tex_Arcana
{name here} wrote:
Frames are frowned down upon on web design. Learn to use Layers(DIVs).

It is possible to create a "frame-like" effect with CSS that is a lot more search engine friendly.

My first website featured frames just so the menu would stay to the left while the readers scrolled down the page. Unfortunately, the free web site provider I was using liked to put banners across every page so all the frames had a banner. It really sucked. Add to that the fact I thought animated gifs were cool and so were java script cursor tricks.... well everyone has the excuse of noob mistakes on their first try. Thing is to learn from those mistakes and stop doing them.
RoughitforGreen247
Yeah, I had the exact same problem a while back. My site had roughly 12 massive ads, with just a single Iframe. I'm still looking for a way to get off my Iframe, but I think the irreplaceable thing about Iframes, is that they allow people to view other sites without leaving your site. If you have a forum hosted independantly, this is really important.
bnbrown
you can find some good tutorials here how to use iframe http://htmlgoodies.com
Michael B
The only reason I can think of to use iFrames is so you only have to change one file to up date something that is on every page such as a menu.

If that is what you want try renameing all your pages to php and useing
Code:
<?php include("foo.php"); ?>
foo.php containing the content you want added to each page.
bnbrown
Yes, php is great for that. I also use it for this reason.
engeland
yeap true.

also, dreamweaver makes iframes easier to manipulate Wink
Dragate
Basicly I frame is a section of a page which has a frame and can be in the middle without touching any sides, unlike normal frames or framesets...

Good thing about it is that you can have the same main page going while the I frame changes in the site... Pretty cool... basic code is:
Code:
<iframe src"http://www.whateversiteyouwant.com">

You can also can chage the borders by adding
Code:
frameborder="0"

Some times you just don't want scroll bars and you can add taht by going
Code:
scrollin=no

That's basic stuff about Iframes that I find helpful when I make them...
Good place to learn about it is in http://www.w3schools.com for more refrences
engeland
there are other options too. Like making it transparent, correct me if im wrong
Code:
transparency = "true"