FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

EV-DO high speed access

aciminsk
One of the mobile operators over here in Belarus has announced one more high speed Internet access option called EV-DO (Evolution Data Only). Technology integrates into CDMA mobile networks. The option looks very attractive. Download bandwidth up to 2Mbps, upload up to 1Mbps. I heard that is has been widely used in Russia and Romania. Would appreciate if somebody could share the experience and what addon equipment it uses and how much does it costs
Donutey
They have a similiar EV DO service in the United States, that starts at about USD $20 a month for a set amount of MB transfer.
psycosquirrel
I get a faster connection than that on cable Cool
aciminsk
Donutey wrote:
They have a similiar EV DO service in the United States, that starts at about USD $20 a month for a set amount of MB transfer.
Is it running in conjunction with CDMA mobile standard?
As far as I' aware they plan it in Belarus, at least at the first stage, unlimited for about 100$/month. Quite expencive for over here.
psycosquirrel wrote:
I get a faster connection than that on cable Cool

Sure cable is nice. Though you could not take it with you when on the go.
psycosquirrel
Oh, nice. So it is like cellular internet or something? That is awesome. I haven't actually seen that implemented before. Do you have a link to the website for a company that does EV DO?
seanooi
wow, finally! Something to make those internet addict's ass on the road! Laughing
aciminsk
Not much technical info, nevertheless gives the idea what it is at http://diallog.by/en/press/pr/id_121/page_1/

I have tried it over there at the exhibition. Awsome, watched TV broadcasts live, And what else, when you leave EV-DO coverage zone, it automatically swtches to CDMA and you still have up to 156Kbps Internet connection.
aciminsk
Just got it for testing. The usb modem I got is Zapp Z020 High Speed CDMA modem. Browsing very fast. Images open almost like from local hard drive. Did not test it on file transfer as yet.