FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What would you do with a new Computer?

x-stream
What do you usually do when you get a new computer???

Imagine this PC:
2GB RAM, 2 Nvidia Geeforce 7800 GTX Graphic Cards, AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Processor, 500GB HD, WinXP Pro installed

Example:
First, I would configure ... in BIOS......
eepman
I would rip out the 7800 gtx's and replace them with 7900's. SLI.
Then I would install Gentoo on a dual boot, just so I could mess around with all the new cool softwares, like xgl.
Scorpio
First I'd throw out win xp and get a better OS.

Then I'd probably be admiring it and boasting about it
DimaSafr
Well I would keep hardware as it is and focus on soft.
Install everything you possibly can. and than make Norton Ghost Back UP.
Well now is good time to play, so get yourself a Linux and try and mess araund with it (Keep the XP though).
abhinav_shah
I will play high end games... Long time since i played any computer games...

ps : the configuration is good for playing games...

Abhinav
quartz
I will start using it imediately. (maybe install antivirus/antispyvare at first)
I wont install any software until it is needed for me.
djfreakske
i just start with creating a backup. usually it just takes a few weeks before i broke my computer.
x-stream
*lol* hmm... First I would install some software (Antivir, firewall etc...)
And then I would just play computer games on it! This PC was too expensive for playing around with the OS on it...
Xeniczone
First of all I would try to use it for gameing then I would probably hit it multiplies times after relizing it had the windows os on it.
desertwind
I'll have a look at it. For 5 minutes.
Hellscythe
I'd accidentally drool on it first. Then, I'd download Fedora Core and burn it onto CD's, then redo partitions and make it multi-boot. Install the necessities (AV, Firewall, Firefox, a mobo monitor, the works), then play some Quake on uber-high detail.
Bengt
My first question would be: did you really needed like 2 gfx cards etc etc ? Very Happy
Then i would just use it of course.
Guyon
1. Get my virus software up
2. Basic internet connection running
3. Update Windows
4. USE SYSTEM BACKUP - to make a restore point.

That is important because you don't want to have to do the set up again.

Finally I li8ke to reformat about every year many be every other year at the most.
Helios
How about Dual SLI ?
2 cards are too weak.. 4 are better Smile

Also 4 gb of RAM and oced 3.6Ghz procesor.

I'd sell it, buy a normal computer(like Macintosh) and keep the rest of the money Smile

If I were a 14 yo kid, though, I'd play video games on it like a madman ^^
Pikokola
Sell it, buy a candy Smile

I need a candy right now, for my little sister, she is crying for about 2 hours XD
angelussum
Post-drooling, I would probably repartition my hard drives and such, install all my programs, etc.
paurna
i wud install all kinds of softwares and games on my pc.but since the primary use of my computer is for browsing such high config is really not needed for me.
ocalhoun
Sell it!
I have more important things to do with a couple grand.
tungtony
First of all, I will run benchmark programme as many as I can and save the figure for fine tuning reference.
AG007
ocalhoun wrote:
Sell it!

Yeah probably sell it, and use the money to buy a sever.
I have a good enough computer.
photon
i would overclock it first..
Scorpio
AG007 wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Sell it!

Sever what?
Rocky3478
Remove all the junk off of it if it were a mass-produced machine by a company.
AG007
scorpio wrote:
AG007 wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Sell it!

Sever what?

Lol my fault. I meant SERVER. hehe
Thanks for seeing the typo. Wink
Srs2388
i'd trade it for the most powerful apple laptop
and then turn that into a recording studio
izcool
If I were to have a computer like that, I would edit a few of the things with it (not going to mention here), but I would make it my main PC since it's the newest and best of whatever I got.

Otherwise I would probably sell it, because I have like too many computers around here. I really want to get a car of my own (I'm sorta borrowing my dad's right now and I'm not much comfortable with the whole idea) and put a down payment on a new car or something. Probably a hybrid since gas prices are getting insane nowadays.

- Mike.
AlexNet
I would install the largest linux server distro I could find, and turn it into a webserver ( just because I am using a minimalist server right now)

my current server is an older machine, but I am using minimalist server software that has almost everything I need. It runs just fine on a Pentium MMX 300 mhz 32 mb RAM, haha

So it would be a Nice change actually running a server with a real GUI.

ALex
izcool
AlexNet wrote:
I would install the largest linux server distro I could find, and turn it into a webserver ( just because I am using a minimalist server right now)

my current server is an older machine, but I am using minimalist server software that has almost everything I need. It runs just fine on a Pentium MMX 300 mhz 32 mb RAM, haha

So it would be a Nice change actually running a server with a real GUI.

ALex

I have an actual server (big, mosterous machine) that I use for personal usage whenever I feel like booting it up here at my house for web-related things, like webpages, eMail, FTP, IRC, Shoutcast, etc. The thing's so freaking loud (lots of fans in it) and a bit old too. It's a Compaq ProLiant 800 (more details can be found here - http://www.izcool.be/network.php?page=details&id=7 ) and it's a bit slow for what I use it for. Heh, it has Windows 2000 Professional on it lol, since I'm not much familliar with Linux. Never really intend on making the big leap to that either... I guess I can turn any PC of mine into a web server (if you see how many in that list) but no need to.

- Mike.
AlexNet
Quote:
Heh, it has Windows 2000 Professional on it lol, since I'm not much familliar with Linux. Never really intend on making the big leap to that either...

Thats what I like about this linux disto through, you dont need to be a linux vet to know how to use it. it comes all pre-packaged and pretty much sets itself up. http://contribs.org Its the SME (E-smith) server version 6 that Im using. It comes all ready to go with support for a vast amount of hardware, and comes ready for php and mysql databases, as well as easy-to-install antivirus scanner (for 3rd party software, linux needs almost no antivirus).

All you need to know to set it up is your IP, Subnet, domain (for email), and some basic database knowledge.
Leetch
Hi all ,

With a new computer i'd sell it rofl cus my computer is as good as i want it rofl0x you computer perfectors,

Can someone tell me more about linux and maybe give me a screenshot?
Ray Salamon
I'm waiting on Conroe. Once I get it, it'll be Folding for a cure,SETI for the future and of course, gaming. Cool

-Ray
wapkralj
I would be playing games and games all the night.....just more to have a good internet connection Sad
ben.lastname
abhinav_shah wrote:
the configuration is good for playing games...

That was an understatement. I feel there is sooo much more you can do with this beast... Before I continue I must ask how you came up with a computer like this without knowing what to do with it or is there a chance you are simply trying to post a geek's wildest dreams?

The only thing that I would suggest changing in your hardware is to have dual screens. It sounds quirky but everybody I know that does it never goes back. If you are going for looks then you might spend a bit more then if you just look around for a spare screen around the house.

scorpio wrote:
First I'd throw out win xp and get a better OS. Then I'd probably be admiring it and boasting about it

That ... is a load of CRAP!If you were to say your mom was getting rid of her old 333 PC and you wanted to know what good it was before you throw it away I would have insisted you put just Linux on it. If you give me the latest and greatest PC then I am going to want to run some serious apps regardless of OS. If you install just Linux you are going to miss out on some serious dev software. You should run some kind of dual boot so that your computer can run any app possible.

The software I know about is mostly windows based. You should see if you can get a copy of 3DStudio or LightWave 3D (3d editors), Avid Xpress DV (Digital video editor) or start encoding your DVD collection to MP4/Divx.