FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

movies of drugs

Rank-1
what do you think about the drugs movies?
I love it Smile

there are some good movies

(my top six lol)
1. Scarface
2. Trainspotting
3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
4. A clockwork orange
5. Blow
6. Saving Grace

someone seen it?
Jayfarer
Requiem for a Dream. This will make your top six, or at least force you to expand it to a top 7.
drunkfun
Requiem is overrated.

Personally, Fear and Loathing is the most drug-induced movie i've ever seen. The whole thing from start to end is just fargin mayhem!
ml
you're forgetting 'pulp fiction'

do i have to tell you that its a very good movie? ... no, its so f***ing popular Very Happy
xorcist
Scarface is one of the biggest drug movies out there everyone know it. I like most of them they all really good movies.
mceejaydee
They used drugs in Clockwork Orange? I don't think they did, unless you're talking about the serum used on Alex.
gh0stface
drunkfun wrote:
Requiem is overrated.

Personally, Fear and Loathing is the most drug-induced movie i've ever seen. The whole thing from start to end is just fargin mayhem!

I don't think Requiem is overrated. It's a good movie. Bit disturbing too.

I never seen Traffic, but I guess it has quite a bit to do with drugs.
Kaneda
mceejaydee wrote:
They used drugs in Clockwork Orange? I don't think they did, unless you're talking about the serum used on Alex.

Stanley Kubrick in a script based on Anthony Burgess wrote:
There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie and Dim and we sat in the Korova milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova Milk Bar sold milkplus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom which is what we were drinking.

Those names, I find it safe to assume, are names of drugs. It's never turned into a big point, though, so I wouldn't really call it a "drug movie".

As for Requiem for a Dream, like gh0stface, I really can't see it as "overrated" (but then, you never state your reasons for thinking so). In all it's "grotesqueness", it's a rather disturbing, very true to life, and beautifully visualized, film.

Others not mentioned: Basketball Diaries (pretty OK, if you can manage to stand Leo DiCaprio) and Naked Lunch (very very outthere). Somewhat less drug-focused (but only somewhat): Rules of Attraction and (less) The Doors.

EDIT: Oh, and Altered States of course.
Scaramanga
Kaneda wrote:
As for Requiem for a Dream, like gh0stface, I really can't see it as "overrated" (but then, you never state your reasons for thinking so). In all it's "grotesqueness", it's a rather disturbing, very true to life, and beautifully visualized, film.

Personally, it is my opinion that showing Requiem for a Dream to Highschool students would GREATLY decrease the incidents of teen-drug use.

Kaneda wrote:
EDIT: Oh, and Altered States of course.

Heh, I completely forgot about the copious amounts of "native" drugs William Hurt takes in this flick. All for the sake of science! Probably Timothy Leary's favourite film. Very Happy
Altec88
drunkfun wrote:
Requiem is overrated.

Crazy ass movie.......

Served it's purpose though.

I wouldn't call pulp fiction a drug movie.
Rank-1
Jayfarer wrote:
Requiem for a Dream. This will make your top six, or at least force you to expand it to a top 7.

i have seen Requiem for a Dream
the end of that movies is really bad Crying or Very sad
HoboPelican
You guys mentioned Fear and Loathing, but don't forget "Where the Buffalo Roam". I like anything about Hunter, and this wasn't a bad movie. I liked F & L's drug scenes better though.

Not a movie, but my all time favorite "Drug" filming was the "Blue Boy" episode on the old Dragnet show.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That one show did more to get me to try acid than all the dealers at OSU! I still laugh my butt off just thinking about it. Very Happy

Oh and don't forget Easy Rider and Reefer Madness.
pudovkin
My sugestions:
"City of God". A more realist approach.
And "Traffic", of course...
yooksauce
test
Joe944
Dazed and Confused anyone?
SemisonicSmile
-Reefer Madness the documentry movie.. its kinda obvious
-Party Monster, McCully Culkin is a big one
-Spun
-The Salton Sea

{My top 5}

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
2. Blow
3. True Romance
4. Trainspotting
5. Requim for a Dream
rwojick
I think the content of movies and TV is deplorable. Everyone hates the state of war and violence in our society but if we look at our video games from 10 years ago we have created the world that we created on our screens.

It all reminds me of the Jerry Springer show. Jerry would dredge up situations where "Uncle Bob was sleeping with chickens and barn animals" and he would put it on TV and drag those people and their behavior out of the wood work.

In this way he took what was very uncommon and made it more common and this occured to the detriment of our Society.

I am no choir boy but to take fringe behavior and bring it mainstream with TV and Movies is not very well thought out and we are paying the price every day...
HDirtwater
No one has mentioned one of the most beautifully filmed movies of the last 10 years, Traffic. The movie is very long, and slow in parts, but Benicio del Toro's Oscar winning performance is brilliant. Blow came out shortly after and is also a great film.

Scarface is probably the gold standard in drug related films.
SemisonicSmile
A yes Traffic... i couldnt agree more i love the movie, i just saw it for the first time a few days ago. Wonderful acting, and i like the whole united states vs. mexico in the drug war concept. (which is reality too) the dirctor did a great job in glorifying how truely sinical the whole concept is.
mrblah
What about Wonderland? They had a good amount in that movie.
todabeat
Narc - with Ray Liotta, freakin' awesome movie.
Dj Redrum
Some movies are good that are based on drug stories. I thought i would have seen at least 1 person mention '' Cheech & Chong '' though they are easyly the best drug related movies around funny to.

Other than Cheech & Chong i thought that the movie that was called '' Blow '' was an ok movie, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was good to.

I've never heard or seen the main film that as been listed in this topic... the one that is named '' Requiem for a Dream '' is that a new or old movie?
alkady
I can't believe none of you guys mentioned "How High?" Thats got to t be the funniest movie on drugs out there.
saveexclusive
Some drug movies very interesint, funny, and even drastic. However, what message are those movies portraying to younger kids out there? Tha drugs are the way to go? One has to consider this as well, it my be funny to some of us, but life threatning to others.
lene
There are also a 2 funny german drug movies:

Grasgeflüster

Lammbock

And a few movies that haven't mentioned before:

Half Baked (with the awesome Dave Chapelle)

The Big Lebowski

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
HoboPelican
I see a lot of repeats, how about a summary?

A clockwork orange
Altered States
Any Cheech and Chong Flick!
Basketball Diaries
Blow
City of God
Clockwork Orange
Dazed and Confused
Easy Rider
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
Grasgeflüster
Half-Baked
How High?
Lammbock
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Naked Lunch
Narc
Party Monster
Pulp Fiction
Reefer Madness
Requiem for a Dream
Rules of Attraction
Saving Grace
Scarface
Spun
The Big Lebowski
The Doors
The Salton Sea
Traffic
Trainspotting
Where the Buffalo Roam
Wonderland
photographerguy
Nobody mentioned Drugstore Cowboy or Natural Born Killers, they both are good.

I think Requiem is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

My favorites in no particular order:

Scarface, Layer Cake, True Romance, Fear & Loathing, Salton Sea, Spun, Clockwork Orange, City Of God, King Of New York, Superfly, Basketball Diaries, Wonderland, Blow, Narc, Party Monster, Go (very underrated), All Cheech & Chong, Less Than Zero, Permanent Midnight (underrated), Traffic, Detroit Blood City (shameless plug for my local independent filmmaker buddy)
serazat
Requiem for a Dream has an awesome soundtrack.Trainspotting was very good though. I found Clockwork Orange too horrid.
GProject
I just watched Narc with Ray Liotta & Jason Patric last night. I've had it to watch for ages and never got round to it, but it was actually really good. Very dark & gritty, but a good movie. Fantastic acting & directoin too - check it out if you're into those kind of movies.
pennymellow
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle! I didn't expect that to be nearly as funny as it turned out to be.

I must admit that I like most of the movies mentioned. I've never sat down to make a list of good drug movies, though. Shocked
colilon
I think FaL is amazing...
Thogh whoever liked it should read the book,
It adds something to the... feeling.
HoboPelican
colilon wrote:
I think FaL is amazing...
Thogh whoever liked it should read the book,
It adds something to the... feeling.

Oh yeah, definately. The book brings you closer to the edge with the Duke. Much crazier and you have to decide for yourself what is funny and what is insane....
jesse420
dont forget the 1960s film the trip with peter fonda the name says it all
jwellsy
Apocalypse Now
2001 A Space Odyssey (best watched under the influence)
Jacobs Ladder