FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Graphics Card Quick Question

dz9c
I got a graphics card with 256mb ram on it. Does that ram add to my computer's ram? Because my memory meter hasnt gone up at all. Is it supposed to add to my computer's memory?
Donutey
No and no, your video card memory is separate from your system memory. Although some lower end video cards take advantage of the slower (relatively) system memory to hold textures etc.

Hope that helps.
dz9c
Okay I see thanks Smile Heres a small donation for answering my question.
time_ar
No, that ram is for you video card only, which stores textures mainly. The reason for doing so is much faster bandwidth between the GPU on ur card and the video memory.

dz9c wrote:
I got a graphics card with 256mb ram on it. Does that ram add to my computer's ram? Because my memory meter hasnt gone up at all. Is it supposed to add to my computer's memory?
angelussum
Graphics card never add to your own computers memory.

Another thing to note:
Sometimes onboard graphics cards will actually 'borrow' memory from your computer's RAM.

However, onboard graphic cards with dedicated memory will have their own memory.
psycosquirrel
They also make graphics cards that do that. They generally are low-end and will utilize 128Mb or 256Mb onboard GDDR, then use the standard DDR RAM in the computer for additional power.

I currently am running onboard video on my opty146 system, and it easily outperforms my AGP 5500 in my P4 system. I am getting over 200fps constant in CS 1.6 with some minor tweaks and developer mode on.
TheGeek
dave....how are you getting less than 200FPS on CS1.6 with your 5500...i have 4x AGP with a 128MB card and im getting near 300FPS at a higher res than you run....and your card is the 256MB and you have 8x....come on now....