FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Newbie Help

VidE
My screen name is VidE and I am trying to get a website up at ericlagerlof.com. I am at lagerlof.frih.net and the lagerlof.frih.net/config/ link doesn't work-did I screw something up there? I've been trying to forge through the tutorials at site-helper and compubasix to no avail.
I finally figured out how to attach my domain name ericlagerlof.com to the frihost name server, I think. Using Name Boy makes it a 2step process and it took awhile to find the DNS changer page at Enom. So while workinglightstudio.com remains adrift I think I've got ericlagerlof.com pointed to your server. But the URL doesn't work.

Also, again after looking at the site helper tutorials, do I have a real idea of how to upload my site files and where to put them? I think not! (I'm using Dreamweaver Cool. Dreamweaver says to make a seperate file folder within the site management to put all my site files in. Where do I upload it to? And do I have to add that extra file folder to the address? Do I somehow have to put the index page outside that folder? And does all this stuff get loaded up-via FTP- to the public_HTML as the tutorials suggest, and then get move to somewhere else? Or do I use the public_FTP? And, in the end, what should my directory structure look like on your server in order for it to work? The site files are called NewResumeSite by the way.

OH, and am I on server 1 or 2? Sorry guys, but I am really confused...is it really this difficult?

mathaius: Sorry but with everything crammed up I couldn't read it!
mathiaus
First of all, on your account page you can find all your details like which server you are on, direct admin links etc.
Your server: 2

Domain:
You need it pointed to ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net you then need to add the domain in direct admin (link in account page) either through domain Setup' or 'domain pointers'. It can take a while for it to work (max is about 3 days).

Dreamweaver excellent choice! If though your just uploading a pile of files you'd be better using an ftp client or using the file manager in DA. Dreamweaver is best for creating new files or editing existing ones.. Your files need to be in your public_html folder either directly or in another folder in the public_html folder. You will only upload in public_html is you choose it when uploading.

Hope that helps Smile
Animal
VidE wrote:
My screen name is VidE and I am trying to get a website up at ericlagerlof.com. I am at lagerlof.frih.net and the lagerlof.frih.net/config/ link doesn't work-did I screw something up there?

you're on Server 2, so the server config page is at http://lagerlof.frih.net:2222

VidE wrote:
I finally figured out how to attach my domain name ericlagerlof.com to the frihost name server, I think. Using Name Boy makes it a 2step process and it took awhile to find the DNS changer page at Enom. So while workinglightstudio.com remains adrift I think I've got ericlagerlof.com pointed to your server. But the URL doesn't work.

You've completed half the steps you need to. ou have told the domain to look on the Frihost NameServers for the site, but you've not told the nameservers where the site is. Log into Direct Admin, select "Domain Pointers" (under "Advanced Features" at the bottom of the page) and get the domain pointer to direct your domain name to lagerlof.frih.net.

VidE wrote:
Also, again after looking at the site helper tutorials, do I have a real idea of how to upload my site files and where to put them? I think not! (I'm using Dreamweaver Cool. Dreamweaver says to make a seperate file folder within the site management to put all my site files in. Where do I upload it to?

You need to upload all your web content to public_html or a folder within it.

VidE wrote:
And, in the end, what should my directory structure look like on your server in order for it to work?

Your directory structure doesn't really matter as long as you've put all your folders and files withing public_html and you have an "index.html" or "index.php" or "index.htm" as a start page - this automatically loads when you go to your domain.

VidE wrote:
OH, and am I on server 1 or 2? Sorry guys, but I am really confused...is it really this difficult?

You're on server 2. You have Direct Admin, not cPanel.

mathaius wrote:
mathaius: Sorry but with everything crammed up I couldn't read it!

Now that's just mean! Wink

EDIT: Hmm... me slowly type. Beaten by mathaius. Crying or Very sad
mathiaus:
Did you see it? All in one paragraph Rolling Eyes , and I was quick on that repy Razz
VidE
Thank you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric
VidE
Animal, I tried using the Domain Pointer dialog but it says that I can't point ericlagerlof.com to ericlagerlof.com. What is my source domain? Is it lagerlof.frih.net? If so, it doesn't work in the browser, or in the Domain Pointer dialogue box.

I have two domains in my account, ericlagerlof.com, which is registered and workinglightstudio which is not. Could that be the source of any problems?
Animal
VidE wrote:
Animal, I tried using the Domain Pointer dialog but it says that I can't point ericlagerlof.com to ericlagerlof.com. What is my source domain? Is it lagerlof.frih.net? If so, it doesn't work in the browser, or in the Domain Pointer dialogue box.

I have two domains in my account, ericlagerlof.com, which is registered and workinglightstudio which is not. Could that be the source of any problems?

Ok, have you created the ericlagerlof.com domain in Direct Admin? If so, you don't need to use domain pointers because the domain is already there.

If you've not created a new domain, use the domain pointers to point ericlagerlof.com to lagerlof.frih.net.

That help?
Bondings
You need to use "ns1.frih.net" and "ns2.frih.net" as nameservers instead of "ns1.frihost.net" and "ns2.frihost.net".

Otherwise, your domain seems to be setup correctly in DirectAdmin.

About your subdomain, it's gone from your account. You most likely removed it yourself. I can readd it if you want and/or need it.
Sufruix
now i know thx to all who helped Smile)