FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good video capturing device

Josso
I have always used before Windows Movie Maker because my camera only goes up to 640 x 480 resolution but now I need new software because of a new camera of my friends. I need some software that will rip up to 1488 x 1128 in resolution. I would prefer freeware but if there is a trial I do not mind for now as long as there are no watermarks/loss in quality. Also if possible it should support WMV file types and 2MBPS+ streaming.

Thanks in advance,
Josso
poppitz
Hi,

I don't exactly know what you want to do, but maybe Windows Media Encoder can help you. I used this Pogram a few times to compress videos. It's free and you can download it at www.microsft.com.
Josso
It is for capturing off tape (because of course unlike digital you cannot transfer anything already captured). This camera is particually uber and it's full resolution is about the size of a wide screen TV... I need some software that will capture at that size to prevent streching anything smaller resulting in lack of quality.

I'm downloading the Windows Media Encoder software now.
gh0stface
Your best bet is probably either Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas Video. I myself use Vegas Video as I find it's more user friendly and just as powerful as Premiere.

You can find the programs and what they can do here:
Sony Vegas Video
Adobe Premiere

Both companies offer trial versions.
Chris24
Nero works just dandy for me Very Happy
nikolic
Are you actually capturing through from a camcorder? The resolutions that you refer to in your original post are odd. NTSC is actually only ~700x~400 pixels, so you may actually be capturing from a still camera. If that is the case, it will not matter from where you capture, as the video will likely be a lower frame rate than is usable.

If you are capturing from a camcorder, you may be interested in going with an application like Pinnacle Studio, it is about $100 and will make the process rather straight-forward and easy, which is important when dealing with orienting yourself to the process.

If you go with a more flexible and higher quality capture/encoder like that from Adobe with Premier, then you will likely have difficulty with it's complexity. Instead, use Pinnacle.

Also, there is a Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) application in which you may be interested. It is called VirtualDub. You will be able to capture to a file that can be imported to whatever editor that you wish to use. After editing, then you will be able to output whatever file you need. such as WMV.

http://www.virtualdub.org/