FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tattoos

carl005
I'm thinking of getting two tattoos. One red one with a black out line and one black with a red outline. they'd probably be over my shoulder blades. does anyone here have tattoos or think about getting any?
leat397
I really want to have one in my shoulder also..but I'm Chinese and that they would presume people who have tatoo would be bad.. or someone who must be a triad member.....and of course, I need to adopt this thinkin'....and the result is that I cant have one till now I was envy for years... Crying or Very sad

Andway, I think you can do it as you are the major audience for them Rolling Eyes
madsencarl
I'd get a graff tattoo, but it'd look whack as.
Dragonfly
I don't recommend tattoo. Rather get sticker. Tattoos are more or less permament, removing them is an arduous task. So, why not just go for sticker? Besides, one likes towards tattoo may keep changing too. That's my take.
Vrythramax
I am heavily tattooed, 57 so far and still counting. A good friend of mine is a tattoo artist and when he's bored he colors on me Smile

Beats having to pay for them, they are getting very expensive now.
carl005
Vrythramax wrote:
I am heavily tattooed, 57 so far and still counting. A good friend of mine is a tattoo artist and when he's bored he colors on me Smile

do you have any idea what i described would cost? the stars would be no more than three inches tall.
Vrythramax
carl005 wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

do you have any idea what i described would cost? the stars would be no more than three inches tall.

The cost is up to the artist you use, but normally it's about $45 (USD) per inch...or any fraction there of. But as I said, the cost depends on the artist, some may cost less (possibly less quality and safe practices), or more depending on the popularity of the aritist. I have seen prices as high as $150 an inch....but that's not the norm.

Word of warning....DO NOT get anything done at a Tattoo Show, and look for a working sterilizer wherever you decide on getting yourself inked.
essentialmedia
I have a number of tattoos and love getting them. I think they put crack in the ink because after you get one you will be pretty addicted. A couple start like that would probably cost between $120-$180 but will depend on the artist completely.
Vrythramax
essentialmedia wrote:
I have a number of tattoos and love getting them. I think they put crack in the ink because after you get one you will be pretty addicted. A couple start like that would probably cost between $120-$180 but will depend on the artist completely.

yeah, I have to agree, they are very addicting....but I'm not sure about the crack additive...I have mixed many dyes and never added anything but straight rubbing alcohol (or in some dyes Listerene is recommended, especialy Fast Red and Straight Purple).

The alcohol burns like no tommorrow, but it does keep down infection.
kung_fu_stu
I have a tatoo between my shoulderblades. It it the chinese symbol for PURE. I am all for getting tatoo's as long as it is for the right reason. No one should ever get one just because they think it's "cool". Personally I got mine as a friendly reminder and I hope to get another some day, but I'm an actor so I won't be getting as many as I'd like. I don't want to jeopardize not getting a role because I have a tatoo.
AdamantMonk
I have one tattoo that goes over most of my upper back. It's a geometric pattern symbolizing subhumanity. I'm planning on getting several similar designs over my back, and expanding to quarter sleeves. Sadly, Tattoos cost money I don't have.

About 30 seconds after it was finished
carl005
well i'd be getting it done with my sister. we're both adults now and we have always had stars, so to say, connecting us. when we used to share a room, we had star stickers on the ceiling that glowed and went from over one bed to the other. when she went off to college, i had a small copy of stary night with me and she had a poster print of it in her room. now i'm going off to finland next year and she my be moving to nyc. i think it'd just be a good way to keep some level of connection between us.
Helios
Tattooes are prohibited by my religion.
arch23
by mine as well, but that's not the reason i don't have any. i just don't like it. and who syas i will still like it in 1/10/20/50 years from now?
Vrythramax
AdamantMonk wrote:
I have one tattoo that goes over most of my upper back. It's a geometric pattern symbolizing subhumanity. I'm planning on getting several similar designs over my back, and expanding to quarter sleeves. Sadly, Tattoos cost money I don't have.

I hear you AdamantMonk, the only thing I can suggest is to actually give yourrself over to an artist as a walking canvas, and I do mean give yourself to him/her. Yes, I understand this is an extreme (to say the least) measure, but if you trully want to be tattooed without the undue cost, this is the only way I know. Except for possoibly having a freind work on you....and if he/she isn't really qualified, your stuck with the results for life.

Please forgive any typos.

Good luck in your endevours....and a Happy Easter to all who read this.
whplace
Watch Miami Ink on Discovery Travel And living!

Its a good Tattoo show! I love it Smile .

You will get some good ideas from it ...............

I will get my tattoo when iam 18 ........... Smile On my upper back and on my shoulder blades!

Would be cool eh ?

whplace
ryanh2006
Vrythramax wrote:
I am heavily tattooed, 57 so far and still counting. ...

Dude thats so sweet! I seriously would love to get a few high quality ones in the future. Or maybe some sweet sleaves like Michael Scoffield from Prison Break Twisted Evil
Vrythramax
ryanh2006 wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
I am heavily tattooed, 57 so far and still counting. ...

Dude thats so sweet! I seriously would love to get a few high quality ones in the future. Or maybe some sweet sleaves like Michael Scoffield from Prison Break Twisted Evil

I am sleeved, and my entire back continuing onto one thigh is a single tattoo Smile
ryanh2006
Vrythramax wrote:

I am sleeved, and my entire back continuing onto one thigh is a single tattoo Smile

Dude thats so sweet! So what designs have you got? Some artists are just freakin brilliant. I have seen some amazing and unique art out there. But at the rate your going you won't have any room for new ones! Laughing
Vrythramax
mine are all oriental style artwork...lotsa color, black backgrounds, that kind of art....you may know the style as "Irizumi" (which if I am not mistaken means tattoo in japanese) the Yakuza swears by it Smile

I just like the style myself....I am not japanese nor a member of the yakuza Wink
ryanh2006
Yeah Asian tats are some of the most beautiful in my opinion. I love the shapes, curves and colors of them. Thanks for the great and friendly chat Vrythramax it was a great way to start posting in this forum! Will check back later if I can. Take care and keep on needling! Bye.
Vrythramax
ryanh2006 wrote:
Yeah Asian tats are some of the most beautiful in my opinion. I love the shapes, curves and colors of them. Thanks for the great and friendly chat Vrythramax it was a great way to start posting in this forum! Will check back later if I can. Take care and keep on needling! Bye.

As long as I have skin, I have a canvas....I don't plan on stopping Smile

As a side note....Welcome to Frihost...this place rocks!
hades9366
I only have the one so far but it's a tribal piece that covers most of my back. I've been thinking of getting another one on my right calf and actually just booked the appointment last week. I spent a fair bit of time looking around for artists and the guy I chose is booked solid till August but I'm willing to wait.

A lot of my friends were getting tatts when we were 16 or 17. We had a friend who'd do it for a case of beer but his work was shocking. I waited till I was 18 for my first one and I've never regretted it. I always knew I'd get another. It's taken nearly 10 years to decide on exactly what I wanted but that's got to be better than getting something you're going to regret.
Vrythramax
hades9366 wrote:
I only have the one so far but it's a tribal piece that covers most of my back. I've been thinking of getting another one on my right calf and actually just booked the appointment last week. I spent a fair bit of time looking around for artists and the guy I chose is booked solid till August but I'm willing to wait.

A lot of my friends were getting tatts when we were 16 or 17. We had a friend who'd do it for a case of beer but his work was shocking. I waited till I was 18 for my first one and I've never regretted it. I always knew I'd get another. It's taken nearly 10 years to decide on exactly what I wanted but that's got to be better than getting something you're going to regret.

I LOVE TRIBAL!....as long as it's done properly. Can you describe your piece? I am a great follower of simple "black work".

Let's hear it brother/sister....show yourself off!!
hanay
I am a big star wars fan so I plan on getting a tribal on my chest congruent to that of darth maul's tattooing. Either that or I want to get the Imperial's insignia tattooed on the back of my neck.
Vrythramax
hanay wrote:
I am a big star wars fan so I plan on getting a tribal on my chest congruent to that of darth maul's tattooing. Either that or I want to get the Imperial's insignia tattooed on the back of my neck.

Now Darth Maul was a bit overboard....but if thats your route then go for it!

Who am I to to say anything against Tattooing?
hades9366
Vrythramax wrote:
I LOVE TRIBAL!....as long as it's done properly. Can you describe your piece? I am a great follower of simple "black work".

My original idea for the tatt was loosely based on the Caduceus from Greek mythology. That's the winged staff of Hermes; god of thieves, travellers and scientists. I always liked the story behind that.

if you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus

The tatt doesn't really look like the caduceus though as it's made up of geometric patterns; spirals and thorns. It runs down my spine and across my shoulder blades.
Vrythramax
hades9366 wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

My original idea for the tatt was loosely based on the Caduceus from Greek mythology. That's the winged staff of Hermes; god of thieves, travellers and scientists. I always liked the story behind that.

if you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus

The tatt doesn't really look like the caduceus though as it's made up of geometric patterns; spirals and thorns. It runs down my spine and across my shoulder blades.

I think I know of what yor describing..my friend it's gonna hurt you and your wallet.

Best of luck Smile
dannywebdesign
dunno man, theres alot of different views based on this subject, mostly theres alot of downside of it, but overall, if you're not in working field and isnt working, you'll probablkly better off do anything with your body, but if you're into these job fields? look out..lol
Vrythramax
dannywebdesign wrote:
dunno man, theres alot of different views based on this subject, mostly theres alot of downside of it, but overall, if you're not in working field and isnt working, you'll probablkly better off do anything with your body, but if you're into these job fields? look out..lol

Good Advice there...watch out for your own safety.
AdamantMonk
Hey Vythramax do you have any pics of your series of tattoos? I'd love to see 'em.
Vrythramax
AdamantMonk wrote:
Hey Vythramax do you have any pics of your series of tattoos? I'd love to see 'em.

I can provide a live webcam shot....but that seems a little like voyerism (eek...sp???). Are you really that interested?

btw...love your sig...way cool.
Vrythramax
just for my own info...isn't a "Caduseus" (sp??) the accpepted symbol for the medical profession?
Ray Gravin
Ive always loved the idea of a living canvas as artist! I can never come to a decision as far as what I would want to have permenatly marked on my skin though. I am also quite poor so thats the two main reasons I have yet to accuire any tattoos. I think that if what you get is relative to your culture or your persona then you cant go wrong. I contemplate getting into tattooing for a living sometimes, I just dont know how to go about getting my foot in the door? any tips : )
Kaneda
Vrythramax wrote:
just for my own info...isn't a "Caduseus" (sp??) the accpepted symbol for the medical profession?

A lot of medical companies etc. have the Caduceus, yeah, but it's actually not the "right" symbol. That would be the staff of Asclepius, which looks somewhat the same. Asclepius' staff is a staff entwined by a snake. The Caduceus has two snakes and a pair of wings at the top. But yes, medical companies still use either.

I have a couple of tattoos, both designed by myself. A tribal style one, filling my upper right arm from the elbow to around 2 inches from my neck - mainly pure black, but with a few red emphases at the borders in the middle strokes of it. And a black, shaded celtic style one, which some say is a dragon, some say it's an angel, some say it looks like a wolf... Which is great Smile

Not a fan of colours, or at least, of colours faded a few years later, so I stuck with mainly black. Although it would seem the "dyes are better these days" thing is true (or the tattoo artists just got better)... While there isn't as much "shine" to them as right after I got them made, the black in both is still very very pure after 10 years - in spite of me not really protecting them from sunlight etc.

Not a fan of stock symbols either (whether it be the Kellogg's logo, some pop culture reference, the dreaded dolphin, or a kanji character). Much prefer something coming from your own unique personality. Hence the self-designed imagery. As long as you can be in dialogue with the artist, since if he's good at his work, he'll be much better than you at seeing the drawing in "3D" (following the contours of your body) as well as knowing what will fit your looks.

And while some people look great with tattoos all over their body, I've decided I'm not one of them, so while it is addictive, I won't ever have more than the two. Smile
AdamantMonk
Vrythramax wrote:
I can provide a live webcam shot....but that seems a little like voyerism (eek...sp???). Are you really that interested?

I suppose there is a chance it would actually look better in my head, so it's no biggie. Still sounds badass though

Vrythramax wrote:

Thanks, I've never learned how to make a "proper" sig so it's cool to hear it isn't absolute crap.
Vrythramax
Kaneda wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

...A lot of medical companies etc. have the Caduceus, yeah, but it's actually not the "right" symbol. That would be the staff of Asclepius, which looks somewhat the same. Asclepius' staff is a staff entwined by a snake. The Caduceus has two snakes and a pair of wings at the top. But yes, medical companies still use either.

Thank You Kaneda for your insight and enlightenment...I now stand corrected.

But it seems we are both on the same page with our thoughts on "color" tats.

Very Happy

Peace.
SpanishNewbie
Both my mother and father have tattoos on their body. They told me to never get a tattoo, it's only a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to listen to them or not. Razz
*parakiss
I wanna get a tatoo of a cross, when im of age =)
Vrythramax
AdamantMonk wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

I suppose there is a chance it would actually look better in my head, so it's no biggie. Still sounds badas* though

Vrythramax wrote:

Thanks, I've never learned how to make a "proper" sig so it's cool to hear it isn't absolute crap.

They hurt, and don't let anyone tell you differant. I guess it's [possibly] a labor of love. Either you love them or hate them.

I have been called out by very small little old ladies who believed I "marked up God's Temple".

My Mum hates them as well.

*sigh* Sad
AdamantMonk
I agree about the pain. I don't know what the artist did to his gun, but on my singular tattoo there were times where it would run under so many RPMs and lose it's "buzzing" sound. At those points I felt like I was under a meat tenderizer. Then there was the points where he would hit a nerve and my left appendages would shake. But, he knew what he was doing and kept to the pattern, so the price was right.

Can I ask if you know Why the skin that was inked is still slightly raised? It's been nearly a year since I got it, and I have kept it infection free. So maybe you know what it is >Vythramax
Vrythramax
AdamantMonk wrote:
I agree about the pain. I don't know what the artist did to his gun, but on my singular tattoo there were times where it would run under so many RPMs and lose it's "buzzing" sound. At those points I felt like I was under a meat tenderizer. Then there was the points where he would hit a nerve and my left appendages would shake. But, he knew what he was doing and kept to the pattern, so the price was right.

Can I ask if you know Why the skin that was inked is still slightly raised? It's been nearly a year since I got it, and I have kept it infection free. So maybe you know what it is >Vythramax

OUCH!...been there, sounds like your "artist" had his rheostat too high and relaly "leaned" into you. FYI....that's not how it should be.

Sorry about your experience, please don't think all tatts are that way.

Yeah they hurt, but it shouldn't be like that. Sad

@AdamantMonk ...

Was it the color red that was slightly raised, or the whole thing? Maybe I can help a bit.
hades9366
Vrythramax wrote:

I think I know of what yor describing..my friend it's gonna hurt you and your wallet.

Best of luck Smile

Actually that's the tatt that I've already had done and yeah it wasn't cheap but it was worth it. I've had people tell me it looks like a cross or a bird/dragon but nobody has picked it as a caduceus yet.

I have to agree with the colour thing. I've seen too many tatts that have faded over time into a blue grey smudge. I think minimal colour looks good but for myself I think I'll stick to black work.

I think the skin stays raised because as well as the ink left under the skin you are scarring yourself with a tattoo but it shouldn't be raised more than a little. About the pain, I think a good tattoist using good equipment doesn't have to use excessive pressure and shouldn't. I'm no expert but I've seen a few different artists working on myself, on friends and at shows and perhaps there's something to the idea of getting the ink deeper into the skin? I don't know but I've seen good artists who don't use a lot of pressure. I do know that the rougher they are the more you're going to bleed and the higher the chance of scabbing and colour loss.
AdamantMonk
Vrythramax wrote:
@AdamantMonk ...

Was it the color red that was slightly raised, or the whole thing? Maybe I can help a bit.

No, the whole thing, it's not as out there as when I first got it, but I can feel where the lines are.

And I'm pleased to know that's not how tatts should be... They said it would feel like a cat scratch, then it was like a... IDK like a really big cat maybe.
AdamantMonk

Yea it's all faded and choppy now. I think hades hit the nail on the head.

(What's that pink thing in the background.)
Vrythramax
if an artist (???) "leans" into a tattoo too much while doing thier job, and goes too deep, then yes, there will be raised scarring. This is not the normal, or correct way of tattooing.

Scarification is something else altogether.
aenemike
My Older brother has a "Vader" lightsaber down his spine, a barcode on the back of his neck, the Arashikage clan bars (GI Joe) on his right bicep and a tribal pattern all down his left shoulder and arm, ending just past his elbow. Pretty sweet all in all, but I think if he gets anymore they'll all run together and lose the "effect" they each have individually.
Vrythramax
aenemike wrote:
My Older brother has a "Vader" lightsaber down his spine, a barcode on the back of his neck, the Arashikage clan bars (GI Joe) on his right bicep and a tribal pattern all down his left shoulder and arm, ending just past his elbow. Pretty sweet all in all, but I think if he gets anymore they'll all run together and lose the "effect" they each have individually.

Cool I also have a barcode on the back of my neck.

Ever heard of Henry Rollins of the Rollins Band? He has a major one on the back of his neck...largest I have ever seen.
nbwbhst
I have two tats. Tribal across my back shoulder blade to shoulder blade. The other on my chest, a sun with chinese in the middle meaning my wife's nickname. Very Happy I love getting tats, they feel awesome and are very addicting. It's about time I get a new one actually.
Vrythramax
a little insder info for anyone interested...most "dyes" are powder based and require "cutting" with either alcohol, and or in some cases "Listerien"(sp??).

Some may cause general raising of the tat.
dean
I personally think that tattoos are great and i am going to have one these days , my friend of mine is tattoo artist and he got 1st place in some European contest for tattoo artist , by the way tattoos in my country are very cheap for those people who come from USA or Europe , its because we have very low living standard and dollars and euros wort very much here . But what to say for those who live christian lives i don't mean those who are very religious i mean like those man who are ordinary but live there lives by the bible , in this example like me , so in the bible there is a verse about how the people shouldn't have sings on there skin , but i know some christian tattoo artist that says that those verse don't imply on tattoos but that was for the people in the old days and it meant for those people who wore believing in other gods , one great christian tattoo artist that i think is great is Deano Cook this is his web address http://www.deanocook.com and this one is from his studio http://www.psychotats.com/ . Just for information a tattoo with dimensions of 20cm to 20cm in my country is about 35$ and here price depends from artist to artist .And i know that is very painful and that in some cases people have died from infections from bad ink or from a lot ink in their skin , like one urban saying about one guy who wonted to have sailors shirt tattooed on him and he died from exhaustion from the needle an from very huge amount of ink in his skin , i don't know this is true but in some cases half of it its true , like the saying in every lie there is half truth.
Red23
my tattoo:
SilverDogg
i have a tatoo on my right arm. i got it in september 2005. its a shooting megaman =)

and i agree with those saying they use crack or whatever in the ink. as soon as i had this one i was like "ahmagad i MUST have a new tatoo". luckily my gf was there to stop me ^^;.

i will upload a pic and then edit.

http://www.silverdogg.frihost.net/tatu.jpg
(how the hell do i do a thumbnail?)

i will probably be trying to get some more tattos. i want some wings on my back =). here is a pic of me when my gf draw some wings.

while i do like these a lot, i will probably be getting something more crow-looking ^^
todabeat
I always wanted to get this tat, and the day i turned 18 i went to get it done.
It's the 'Godsmack' Logo, if you don't know who Godsmack is go and 'google' it. they are a very good rock band.

Vrythramax
SilverDogg wrote:
i have a tatoo on my right arm. i got it in september 2005. its a shooting megaman =)

and i agree with those saying they use crack or whatever in the ink. as soon as i had this one i was like "ahmagad i MUST have a new tatoo". luckily my gf was there to stop me ^^;.

i will upload a pic and then edit.

http://www.silverdogg.frihost.net/tatu.jpg
(how the hell do i do a thumbnail?)

i will probably be trying to get some more tattos. i want some wings on my back =). here is a pic of me when my gf draw some wings.

while i do like these a lot, i will probably be getting something more crow-looking ^^

err...no crack in the dyes...the tat would be MUCH more expensive if there was...well, at least the second, third, etc. (ad nauseum) would be Wink

Checked out the pics of the wings you want (I am also a member of DeviantArt BTW, just not terribly active recently)...very ambitious, gonna be a bit uncomfortable for a couple of days you know, but I really like your idea. When did you get your first tattoo and how long did it take you to realize you wanted more? Forgive me for being nosy, my curiousity has a way of the getting the better of me, and this is a subject I am personally passionate about. Smile

@todabeat

Very cool, but do you really want something that has been inked on so many people worldwide? Try a variation on the theme....switch it up just a bit to make it unique to you.

*Edited to include a comment*
SilverDogg
Vrythramax wrote:
err...no crack in the dyes...the tat would be MUCH more expensive if there was...well, at least the second, third, etc. (ad nauseum) would be Wink

hehe you are probably right, but they must have something in it ;D.

Vrythramax wrote:
Checked out the pics of the wings you want (I am also a member of DeviantArt BTW, just not terribly active recently)...very ambitious, gonna be a bit uncomfortable for a couple of days you know, but I really like your idea.

its actually my gfs deviantart (check out her other stuff if you want ^^), and like i said, i dont think i will be getting any wings like that, but more crowlike. and yeah, i realize its gonna be a pain in the ass for a couple of days, but its gonna be totally worth it ^^.

Vrythramax wrote:
When did you get your first tattoo and how long did it take you to realize you wanted more? Forgive me for being nosy, my curiousity has a way of the getting the better of me, and this is a subject I am personally passionate about. Smile

i got my first and so far only tattoo in september 2005 (as stated in my previous post ;P), and it took about 5 mins after i got it before i realized i wanted more. and i dont mind nosy ppl, as long as they arent TOO nosy Wink.
Vrythramax
@SilverDogg

Not to worry, I am not that nosy, I would never invade your privacy. If you could post you GF's url at DeviantArt many others could see her work as well as myself Smile
todabeat
[quote="Vrythramax"]
SilverDogg wrote:

@todabeat

Very cool, but do you really want something that has been inked on so many people worldwide? Try a variation on the theme....switch it up just a bit to make it unique to you.

*Edited to include a comment*

It actually doesn't bother me at all, i happen to like the actual sun very much. On my right arm i will get the logo for my clothing line, as soon as the line hits the streets. that way it will be unique and a first.

hey you should post a pic of some of yours, or something like it, if it's on the net.
jabapyth
Vrythramax wrote:
dannywebdesign wrote:

I heard somewere that tatoos are bad for your skin? like, the pigments soak in and mess stuff up? Confused
ohfudge
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a tattoo in my lower back area that is my name written in Chinese. Want do yah think of that? I think that would be so sexy. Haha. Smile
Vrythramax
jabapyth wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
dannywebdesign wrote:

I heard somewere that tatoos are bad for your skin? like, the pigments soak in and mess stuff up? Confused

Never happen. The dyes are mineral based and work perfectly in conjunction with your own natural skin pigmentation (unless of course you are an Albino and have no pigmentation...that is not a dig). There is of course a certain degree of "spreading" over a long period of time, but that is due to the fact that we all shed our skin at least once a year (not unlike a snake...*snicker*), and the skin we have must adapt to that unavoidable change.

In answer to your question jabapyht, some of the older dyes, or inks, were prone to "leaking" into surrounding tissue, and distortion was an eventual result. Those dyes/pigments/inks were liquid based and not as (for lack of a better term) solid as they are today. As was pointed out, the dyes today are a mineral based mixture that settles easily in the skin.

*EDITED - obvious spelling errors*
twisthigh
I have two tattoos, the first is a pair of dragonflies on my back, they are big enough, but not huge, my other is three little stars on my foot.... I'm also thinking of getting a small heart on my hand (kind of a rip off of Lindsay Lohan), some writing on my wrist, and the japanease symbol for friendship on the top center of my back... My tip would be to get them with someone else that you care about, like your family or best friend... that way it will always have special meaning to you, it will never be a regret... also, you should put a lot of thought into your choice, for example, I always wait six months after wanting a certain tattoo before getting one, if I still want it, then I get it, if I'm the least bit over it, I don't... Also, make sure it's a certified tattoo parlour.... it's a big deal I only go to the one certified by the Canadian Blood Services to make sure it's safe, this is your health... As for the pain, I can tell you the one on my back hurt... the fattier parts of your body will hurt more, because the needle goes deeper, as for on my foot, it just bounced right off the bone, so it was less of a ripping pain and just more of a hot pain... so yeah.. that's about it!!
thiamshui
think carefully before getting one.. if u are getting a tattoo in a visible area, it might affect your life such as getting a job and people's impression of you.. also, getting a tattoo is pretty permanent.. it is very painful to remove them..
Vrythramax
@twisthigh

the mention of your tattoo on your foot brought up a funny memory...we (my friend and I) had a guy come into the shop one day, he was a surfer type, and he wanted "If found please deposit in nearest mailbox...return postage garaunteed" (forgive my spelling) on the bottom of his foot! At that point I ceased to be surprised at what anyone wanted done on thier bodies.
Kai
I have a back piece tatoo of a Eagle, in flight. It looks like a phoniex sorta its quit cool if i do say so myself Cool
scorpiosemotion
I have one tattoo on my lower back of a tribal heart design and love it. The pain wasn't bad getting it, it was after it was done trying to wear pants! I was sitting funny for a good week! My next tattoo will take most of my back up with the back of a dragon looking over its shoulder with it's wings spread and tribal designs over its scales.
Vrythramax
scorpiosemotion wrote:
I have one tattoo on my lower back of a tribal heart design and love it. The pain wasn't bad getting it, it was after it was done trying to wear pants! I was sitting funny for a good week! My next tattoo will take most of my back up with the back of a dragon looking over its shoulder with it's wings spread and tribal designs over its scales.

your starting to sound like me with the dragons. If the tat on your back hurts too much....try not wearing pants Smile

Can you describe the dragon you want it greater detail? Many would like to know.

(BTW...I have seen it and it is way cool)

Hello Scorp...nice to see you Very Happy
XeononyX
I currently have three one on each of my biceps and my son's name on my wrist. People always ask if the one on my wrist hurt, of course it did, but my son spent 4 month on an incubator as he was fighting to breathe, and I tell people that the pain was miniscule to the pain he suffered fighting to breathe, usually after that people don't have anymore questions. If you get one: pick something that means something to you. For example don't get a japanese symbol for war or something if your not japanese, etc. Put a story behind it: it will mean alot more to you then.
scorpiosemotion
Vrythramax wrote:
scorpiosemotion wrote:

your starting to sound like me with the dragons. If the tat on your back hurts too much....try not wearing pants Smile

hehe and get arrested lol I think not Smile Nice to see you too Max! Very Happy
Shiva
I haven't got any tatoo.. and I'm not planning to have any in this life..

But however, if I had to have one...

I think it should be the hunter from the buks bunny movies.. the little guy always hunting buks bunny..
That guy on my right buttock with his gun pointed at my as* and a tekstbox saying: "Get out of that hole rabit!!!"

HAH now THAT could be fun!! Very Happy

And that tatoo is copyrighted by me!!!! Cool
milkmandan
you can't tattoo a character on your butt if you don't know his name! (haha j/k). elmer fudd by the way.

i think i'm gonna tattoo frihost on mine. Razz
ehecatl

I just got my first one done yesterday, and it hurt like nothin else! ^_^ But it looks awesome ^_^ This one is 120$ and the color still needs to be done (included in the 120$). It's across my lower back. It was done by the best guy in town here too, but I'm also dating one of the artists' best friends, so I got a hella discount ^_^
Vanilla
I will get a tattoo really soon! It will be a present from my wonderful boyfriend. It will be a NiGHTS (my avatar, NiGHTS into Dreams), probably on my shoulder. My boyfriend will get a Sonic (from Sonic the Hedgehog series) on his arm. Nerd Pride! Cool
Vrythramax
ehecatl wrote:
I just got my first one done yesterday, and it hurt like nothin else! ^_^ But it looks awesome ^_^ This one is 120$ and the color still needs to be done (included in the 120$). It's across my lower back. It was done by the best guy in town here too, but I'm also dating one of the artists' best friends, so I got a hella discount ^_^

now that looks a bit sensative, remember to only keep it moist for the first few days, then let dry...it should flake off like a sunburn.

very nice tat....was this your first?
scorpiosemotion
[quote="Vrythramax"]
scorpiosemotion wrote:
Can you describe the dragon you want it greater detail? Many would like to know.

(BTW...I have seen it and it is way cool)

Smile The dragon will look as tho it is rising straight up looking over her shoulder, I'm not exactly sure what she'll look like yet but I plan on having it done in black with very little color possibly a green or blue tint to her scales and a tribal design across her shoulders and down her back.. She's still in the drawing stage, and my artist is stingy with the beginning workups, I'll see her soon though!

~Scorp Cool
Vrythramax
Sounds very similar to the one I have...are you being a copycat??

Just a note....it's gonna hurt, but don't drink (alcohol) before hand, you'll bleed more and the artist will have to (*ouch*) wipe more Wink
scorpiosemotion
Vrythramax wrote:
Sounds very similar to the one I have...are you being a copycat??

Just a note....it's gonna hurt, but don't drink (alcohol) before hand, you'll bleed more and the artist will have to (*ouch*) wipe more Wink

hehe nope I'm not being a copycat I've never seen yours if you remember correctly Wink Though mine would be much smaller than yours I'll send you a copy of the art work when its done. Smile
chrisu
I got one tattoo that is on my left upper arm. I could upload a picture for you guys when I get my webspace so you can see what it is. Because it's a bit hard to explain. At least in English.
ehecatl
Vrythramax wrote:
now that looks a bit sensative, remember to only keep it moist for the first few days, then let dry...it should flake off like a sunburn.

very nice tat....was this your first?

It was sensitive, that was taken the day after it got done. And it scabbed over really good ^_^ and it did flake funny! It was gross >_< It's all good and healed now though ^_^ And yes, it was my very first ^_^
MWANGI
carl005 wrote:
I'm thinking of getting two tattoos. One red one with a black out line and one black with a red outline. they'd probably be over my shoulder blades. does anyone here have tattoos or think about getting any?

I think japanese and chinese tatoos look the best.I think you should try to get some of those especially the cartoonish one, You know, the Manga cartoons and stuff like that.I do not think gothish tatoos look good on people unless they have black hair.Very black hair so If you are blonde or brunette or any other mutation I would suggest that you get a hair die.I have a blonde friend who got a gothic tatoo but to me it seemed very fake!But anyways that is just my opinion.Does anyone else see any sense in that or is it just me.Anyway just do what you feel is right. It may be just me and I do not have a phd in tattooing but I am a graphics designer.A good one too.
yabbie
Hi,

Am one guy who is all out for tattoos. Tattoos are cool things to get over in your shoulders.

I would like to get a tattoo but am yet to see the one that suits me the best. Maybe I will get a temporary one first and then with it I will experiment the designs and then get a permanent one.
Arnie
I think they're terribly ugly. Sorry! And then there are those annoying people that have an urge to show their tattoos all the time to impress people...
XeononyX
/Rant

To each his own I suppose, some are ugly some are awsome. To say all tattoos are ugly equivilates to something like saying "All paintings are ugly". It's an unconventional statement to say unless you have personally "SEEN" every tattoo "EVER".

Rant/

That's only a rant but I have seen many horrible ones I'll agree.
ncwdavid
Im only 14 but next month im getting a tattoo. My friend kieran already has two since he was 14. I am not sure of what I want to get yet. Nothing too big anyway. I probably wont get alot of colour because I think black and white look great together in tattoos if you have the right tattoo artist doing it for you.
-+Enigma_84958+-
i would love to get a tribal design that would go all the way up my arm and end at my soldiers....can't wait to get it
ehecatl
Arnie wrote:
I think they're terribly ugly. Sorry! And then there are those annoying people that have an urge to show their tattoos all the time to impress people...

You're terribly ugly. Your face is terribly ugly. Kay. I'm sorry. That's mean and completely uncalled for and I don't need a moderator to warn me because I already know. But I had to say it anyway. Not all tattoos are ugly. I'm sure you have/will seen/see one you like. And then you'll eat your words. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Vrythramax
Tattoos certainly aren't for everyone, that much is certain. Those do like them have a right to have them and show them, if appropriate to do so, whenever they please.

The only difference between a tattooed person and a non-tattooed person is the tottooed person doesn't care if the other one has a tattoo or not.

Please...lets try to keep this civil Smile
Quiviro
I have 5 tattoos. Two in my shoulders/arms. Two in my ribs/waist.
Those in my right side are disturbing and scary. Twisted Evil
Those in my left side are nice. Smile
One by one, they have a special meaning for me but in general all of them represent ying/yan, darkness/light, good/evil, Stairway to Heaven/Highway to Hell...

And another in my chest that has a different meaning.
Karl
Vrythramax wrote:
Tattoos certainly aren't for everyone, that much is certain. Those do like them have a right to have them and show them, if appropriate to do so, whenever they please.

The only difference between a tattooed person and a non-tattooed person is the tottooed person doesn't care if the other one has a tattoo or not.

Please...lets try to keep this civil Smile

So if I was a member of some sort of subculture where 95% were tatooed (I do not have a tatoo) then they would look at me in exactly the same way as if i had one.

I think the way I percieve tatoos are much dependent on how, where etc. the tatoo is. In my opinion it is smart to have tatoos where it is possible to cover them if you are going to your girlfriend or boyfriends family for the first time or to a job interview.
Arnie
XeononyX wrote:
To each his own I suppose, some are ugly some are awsome. To say all tattoos are ugly equivilates to something like saying "All paintings are ugly". It's an unconventional statement to say unless you have personally "SEEN" every tattoo "EVER".
Actually I do think all tattoos are ugly for the simple reason that they don't seem to belong on a human body. The picture can be as pretty as you want, I'll still think it looks ugly.

And to avoid getting into another stupid discussion with people that need to justify themselves, I'll just say that's my personal taste which is nothing to discuss about.
Vrythramax
@Karl

Your right on both counts....if the vast majority of the populace had tattoos they may look at you differantly if you did not have one, but that is not the case. Tattoos have been a part of our collective culture(s) for centuries. At one time people were stigmatized and ostracized for wearing marks upon thier bodies, but once again this is not the case in this day and age. The entire tattoo industry has been going through a major upsurgence in popularity here in the US recently, and with the advent of newer technologies in the field it is safer and more hygenic than ever before.

@Arnie

With all due respect, if your opinion is yours and not open for discussion...why post it in such a public way?
breebree
Vrythramax wrote:
I am heavily tattooed, 57 so far and still counting.

Sounds amazing would you post a pic of them?

The cost is up to the artist you use, but normally it's about $45 (USD) per inch[/quote]

:/ Here in England theres no set price, work is done by the hour
Arnie
That's called identity as well, Vrythramax.
lethaltriad
I've always thought about getting one, maybe something not so big and I was thinking of getting either a dragon with a ying yang sign or my name in chinese writing.
Yantaal
tattoos are awesome, im thinkgin of getting the english lion on me somewhere, and allready have athe nintend logo acros the base of my neck

i love nintendo and england, so this whyi choose them
Vrythramax
I'm glad to see this topic brought back to life after about a year Smile

I'm looking forward to the newer members comments.
skygaia
In my country,South Korea, tattoos has to be taken by medical doctors by law. But there are just about 10 doctors in whole country. So... most people get tatoos from non-liscened expert in law. These days, it became a big issue.
windrei
i wanna make 2, one around my shoulder and one at the back below the waist. However, my love does not allow me to make it because she thinks it's painful to make tatoo... so i give up.
filet
Nah, tattoos are permanent..when you get tired of the pattern/picture or whatever you request for, you have to get it surgically removed...so its a no no for me
carlokes
Hi there,

I used to dream of having a tattoo when i was a kid and i kept that dream until i reach the end of my teen years...it was at that time that i realized how a tattoo can influence your future life because of the impression it causes to people.

And seeing my grandfather tattoo all messed up due to age and loss of skin elasticity i really decided to cut that (along if the piercing) off my list.

Stay Cool.
Keran
Tattoos in my opinion are way better than piercings, well for once I have always been affraid of that when I'll get a piercing someone in a fight might pull it off with some part of my body as well. ;p
I will surely get a tattoo, I don't have yet an exact date of when it's gonna happen, but it will soon.
And not only one tattoo, but probably several ones.

I don't care if it's pernament - I'll just pick a picture that will represent me and won't disgust me everytime I will look at it. I wanna be proud of what will decorate my body ;]
I don't care that in the future it might lose it's former look and it will become something... ugly, what matters is the present and what will I gain having a tattoo now, not in 50 years.
Also If I'd care so much about the future I wouldn't have time to enjoy the present.
Cddhesh
I never apply tattoo's on my body because it effects skin.I find alargy on my skin with itches.So i would recommand not to apply tattoos on body.If you want proof please go to any laboratory and test tattoo for it content.
Vrythramax
Cddhesh wrote:
I never apply tattoo's on my body because it effects skin.I find alargy on my skin with itches.So i would recommand not to apply tattoos on body.If you want proof please go to any laboratory and test tattoo for it content.

I afraid the logic here escapes me. It does indeed effect your sking by adding a permanat layer of color...but your posts implies it is also harmful....which it is not if done properly. The dyes used today are mineral based as opposed to the earlier inks (or other items) used, and come in a powder form that must be mixed with alcohol to enhance the sterlization, and cleansing, of the entire thing.

Sure it stings, but I have would rather have it burn a little while being done than to suffer some kind of infection as an alternative.
ehecatl
I must agree with what Vythramax just said about it burning rather than infection, lol. But anyway, I got my tattoo about a year ago now and I know it's suppose to itch when it's healing but the past year has been hell on my lower back where I got the tattoo because although it's LONG healed, it still always itches, should it be doing that? And is it actually itching or is it something that's just in my head because I know it's there type of thing?
Vrythramax
ehecatl wrote:
I must agree with what Vythramax just said about it burning rather than infection, lol. But anyway, I got my tattoo about a year ago now and I know it's suppose to itch when it's healing but the past year has been hell on my lower back where I got the tattoo because although it's LONG healed, it still always itches, should it be doing that? And is it actually itching or is it something that's just in my head because I know it's there type of thing?

No it should not still be itchy after this amount of time. May I ask if the tattoo has alot of the color red in it? There was a color named "Fast Red" that had that effect on a lot of people whenever it got really hot, (it was rather heat sensative, another sign could include a raised like portion in the areas that contained the color) either by body heat or ambient temperature...I was never sure why it did this. Has your tattoo displayed this also?

It could also be that the "artist" you went to was cutting his dyes with Listerene (yes the mouthwash) as opposed to Isopropyl Alcohol (plain old rubbing alcohol).

I'd also like to point out that one time the Tattoo Supply Industry recommended cutting their dyes with Listerene for many years...except for the color purple which had to be cut with alcohol.
Arnie
So I guess in theory it wouldn't be harmful, but the current practice turns out to be different.
Vrythramax
I made a post to respond to you Arnie, but decided to spam can it instead. It's up to the individual as to how safe they feel it is. Your flame baiting won't stop anyone who wants a tattoo.
VPGroup
ye, I whant tatoo, so it's prohibidet by mi lady... Sad
otiscom
I think tattoos are ugly and un-reversable.

Don't do it.
Vladalf
I like people who have tatoos but I wouldn't try. Permanent tatoos hurt to put and the others disspaear fast.
silverdown
tattos are fine, that represent who the person wearing them is.
Yantaal
tattoos can be both bad or good

im some wazoc gets Tw@* tattooed on his forehead then, wtf. but japanese tatoos are amazing colourfull and briliant artistic designs.

i want to sleeve from my right elbow up to my shoulder. this way noone can see it soit wont effect eoples perspective and i know its there and looks awesome, which is what matters.
meet in rio
Hmm.

I'm not completely averse to the idea of a tattoo. I search for pictures of them on the internet all the time and do have a few ideas, although I'll probably never go through with them. I like the idea of a watch with no hands over my wrist (the fact that no-one else likes this idea just encourages me, really) and I have a thing about Pauline Baynes's illustrations for the Chronicles of Narnia (http://www.eq5.net/lewis/bkcovers.html). A few lines from one of my favourite poems or books is something else I might consider, but I'd really have to see which stand the test of time.

I do have a few rules for myself, though, which include:

1. Nothing, ever, on my breasts, belly, thighs, sides or anything else liable to stretch or fatten with pregnancy.
2. No tribal tattoos. (This isn't intended as an attack on anyone who has such a tattoo---ultimately, if you're happy with an image then that's all that matters---it's just that I've seen way too many flash tribal pieces around.)
3. Nothing in a language I can't understand. I've heard too many horror stories about people with incorrect tattoos.

Ultimately, I wouldn't care if I had saggy, faded tattoos at age 60: I'm hardly going to be walking around in tank tops and miniskirts at that age, and I might as well have a few inky memories.

Still, I'll probably never even let a needle near me.[/url]
Afaceinthematrix
Vrythramax wrote:
carl005 wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
I am heavily tattooed, 57 so far and still counting. A good friend of mine is a tattoo artist and when he's bored he colors on me :)

The cost is up to the artist you use, but normally it's about $45 (USD) per inch...or any fraction there of. But as I said, the cost depends on the artist, some may cost less (possibly less quality and safe practices), or more depending on the popularity of the aritist. I have seen prices as high as $150 an inch....but that's not the norm.

Word of warning....DO NOT get anything done at a Tattoo Show, and look for a working sterilizer wherever you decide on getting yourself inked.

Yes, I would recommend getting it somewhere safe. I have several friends who have gotten them done in some random guy's garage and I wouldn't recommend that.
louderthanbombs
I have two tattoos both when I was 15. My girlfriend did them with a sewing needle and some indian ink. It hurt like hell at first because the sewing needle made a small dot and you needed to go pretty deep but eventually we figured out that we could tape a bunch of needles together and it would go faster. I have an anarchy symbol on my right arm and "black flag" on my left. I kind of regret it now though, because they look pretty crappy, but i'll probably just get them redone or something anyway.
charisco
I currently have 3 tattoos. 2 of which need to be covered up and a 3rd I will not cover up. I will be getting more as well. I see nothing wrong with tattoos as long as they are done in good tatse, I do not like tattoos that are vulgar or evil in nature.
its_yo_gurl_pellz
I would like one too, but I'm scared of pain. You have some people that says it hurts and then you have some people that says it don't. I would like a total of five. I've noticed that a friend of mine started out with one and then they became addictive to her. A bull with angle wings would be nice to have. Razz
tijn01
I don't really understand why people would like to have, or have, tattoos. Although I agree some tattoos can look quite nice or be a good design.... it always makes me wonder... what will they look like on a 80 year old. I am just not getting it. The human body is beautiful, we don't need an ink drawing put under out skin to improve it.
starngao
A lot of my friends were getting tatts when we were College.But I don't recommend tattoo.
fredrikjruud
A tatto can be the friend of your life, if you're absolutely sure that you want it.
Yantaal
i just recently went to a tattoo parlouyr, anc got the english lion tattooed on my hest, adn then w ot talking about other suff like suspention and skin removal, any o f you inot that?
natem
I've got a fish back piece. I love my tattoos, I need more money so I can get them finished. My tattoo artist moved 2 ferry rides away Shocked But at least it will be an adventure going there.
Donutey
Tattoos are fine, just know what you're getting into (ie take a long term view, are you going to be happy with it in 5 years, 10? 30?).