FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Rock... depressing?





RPG Villager
ever since i started to like Rock Music, my mom said that it was depressing music. i still dissagree with her but she really doesn't like it. What is your point of view on this Question
PureSimpleNatural
What kind of 'Rock' are you referring to?

My Rock is probably vastly different to your Rock. Give me a few groups you're listening to.
RPG Villager
AC/DC, Green Day, Nickelback, Led Zeplin, and others too...
fireydeviant
AC/DC dosen't seem depressing to me..

Nickelback has some stoner rock overtones, so some of their stuff could count.
Forgotten Legends
No those groups really don't do 'depressing music'...

Now if you listened to groups such as Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, etc then that would be what people classify as emo punk which in terms can be counted as depressing music.
madsencarl
She's right, rock IS depressing. You should stop listening to rock and move onto, say, rap. Rap's actually, good music, therefore not depressing.
Forgotten Legends
madsencarl wrote:
She's right, rock IS depressing. You should stop listening to rock and move onto, say, rap. Rap's actually, good music, therefore not depressing.


I do agree with this because it's true all rock bands do have some form of drepressing music, it just goes with the genre, and once again this is true, I have yet to hear any rap that is depressing.
ainieas
I don't think a whole genre can be depressing. I believe its more the specific songs that you are listening to that might be affecting your moods. Just a hypothesis!
fireydeviant
Actually, rap makes me depressed. Alot of it. Either because of the lack of talent or the commercial nature of many of the artists. I will listen to some of the underground stuff, but mainstream rap just induces my gag reflex. They don't put themselves into their music anymore.


What does your mom listen to? It would be interesting to see what she is comparing it to, to see why she labels it depressing as a genre.
tingkagol
I don't find rock depressing at all. There are, however, bands that play GOOD depressing music (try jeff buckley's "lilac wine" or silverchair's "emotion sickness").

Pop-rock aside, if I would describe what rock music is, it's the isolated anti-hero. I listen to it alot when I'm in THE mood. I mean, I want to rip my hair off when I'm having an extremely bad day and would have to be forced to listen to "my humps" when it comes on the radio. Something heavy (from slipknot maybe and the likes) could contain the anger, know what i mean?
arch23
music doesn't determine my mood just accompony it. If i'm down i'll want some blues or something happy to feel better. There are "dperessing" genres today, like those with the words black in it, but why listen to it anyway...
Helios
It's depends on the person who listens.
If you're an emotional little girl, everything could be depressing.

I don't even see the point about making depressing music..
ssbcrew
I find music in no way depressing. I'm into rock and heavier like stoner rock and metal. Seems like a source of relief to me, nothign to dwell on. But i do see how some kids that take "emo" music too seriosuly might find it depressing. Rolling Eyes
Scott
Rock isn't depressing at all, a lot of the time it's the opposite, although like any genre there is the occasional depressing song.

choeirule
rock rules man!!!!
but the song such as rock sometimes encourage you or deppressing you right?
think so?
Blaster
Rock isn't depressing. Tell her she rock isn't depressing i said so Razz It gets you pumped up. Unless you are talking about this new shit. Emo is depressing but not true rock n roll like guns n roses or aerosmith. Very Happy
sangook
depending on the style of the music but u're definately right on this one.
my mama told me the same thing.. lol
Insanity
Rock as a genre is pretty broad. There's everything from pop rock to metal (at least I think metal is classified under rock). With such a big range you're bound to have some sad depressing songs, but IMO it's generally upbeat.
Dean_The_Great
fireydeviant wrote:
Actually, rap makes me depressed. Alot of it. Either because of the lack of talent or the commercial nature of many of the artists. I will listen to some of the underground stuff, but mainstream rap just induces my gag reflex. They don't put themselves into their music anymore.


Yes! I agree with this entirely! I think Rock may sound depressed on some occasions simply because the person is writing from a place of pain. Which means that they are, in fact, [/i]feeling[/i] something, unlike the majority of mainstream rappers who take hooks and bass lines from popular rock songs and then just start rapping over it.

You should listen to Queen... now there you'll find some music that is not depressing.

Plus, it's also about seeing those "depressing" songs as being interesting comments on the human condition. It's all about the interpretation.
supjapscrapper
ROCK is the only genre that can contain all types of emotions ... I'll let you decide on which you need .. But it certainly can be dpressing, and I need this kinda music sometimes just as I need to be jumping all over when listening to POD or Rob Zombie, all great Rock Bands have their famous depressing tunes, and I certainly find enough in Rock that'll keep me from listening to any other crap like rap...
Shewolf
Dean_The_Great wrote:
fireydeviant wrote:
Actually, rap makes me depressed. Alot of it. Either because of the lack of talent or the commercial nature of many of the artists. I will listen to some of the underground stuff, but mainstream rap just induces my gag reflex. They don't put themselves into their music anymore.


Yes! I agree with this entirely! I think Rock may sound depressed on some occasions simply because the person is writing from a place of pain. Which means that they are, in fact, [/i]feeling[/i] something, unlike the majority of mainstream rappers who take hooks and bass lines from popular rock songs and then just start rapping over it.

You should listen to Queen... now there you'll find some music that is not depressing.

Plus, it's also about seeing those "depressing" songs as being interesting comments on the human condition. It's all about the interpretation.


You may find all kind of emotions in rock. All from suicidal stuff, to really "happy" music. You may find any emotion you are looking for....
Citizen Kane
rock and depressing? might be your MUM who's actually depressing Evil or Very Mad

No really, it's just another way of saying: "it's-so-loud-and-ugly-and-I-can't-relate-to-it, I-just-don't-wanna-hear-it"

I've never heard of people actually getting depressed from rock music. Nickelbak depressing? sounds kinda funny to me! I think NB is even one of the more chearier kind of bands in the genre. listen to TOOL of Filter, now THAT's a differrent atmosphere...

No. I think your mum is actually trying to tell you that she just can't relate to the style of music. You try and listen to Engelbert Humperdink. You would feel the same...
Blaster
Some rock i can't take and is depressing. But defenitly not AC/DC

Led Zepplin too. Some rock bands are though. aka emo bands and screamo bands
macfly
I really don't think so. Your brain and the way it reacts to the world creates the depression, not the music. Some people find certain things exciting while others find the same things depressing. So, Rock is not depressing. You create your own depression.
crasso
macfly wrote:
I really don't think so. Your brain and the way it reacts to the world creates the depression, not the music. Some people find certain things exciting while others find the same things depressing. So, Rock is not depressing. You create your own depression.


Exactly! If you are in some really bad mood, music can fire up that, but in the same manner music can bring you out of that. Just like the rain can bring you in some bad mood, just like wrong sentence from girlfriend, just like anything in this world.

So the Rock itself couldn't be deppresive. Maybe it could be more influential to the emotions than the other kinds of music (because often lyrics talk about something that real world could give or take), but nothing more.
ohfudge
Nah, I don't think Rock music is depressing. I think it helps me get over my depression stage though... But not depressing itself...
loveoz
I really, really, REALLY dislike rock music. My friend had his iPod in and I asked him what he was listening to, so he passed me an earphone. I put it up to my ear, gave it back and just stared at him with a wierd expression on my face.

Basically, in my opinion:
Rap > Rock

There's some maths for you.
Ducktape
rock is way better than rap because rap is just talk, not singing.
Hobbit
Everyone goes through depression, at least once in your life. There's no way you will have a gf and last forever with her, there's no way a really close person won't die. Depression is a part of life.

Most of these bands you talk about have gone on tour all over the country, maybe even the world. It would definetely suck living in a van (or bus if it's a good band), being away from your friends, family, girlfriend, clean bathroom, etc. These things are depressing, so of course they will make depressing music.

I disagree with the rap thing, rap is worst. Rock shows real emotions (NOT ALWAYS DEPRESSING), while a lot of rap doesn't do that.

Examples of rap lyrics:
Quote:
Compton and Long Beach together, now you know you in trouble
'Cause ain't nothin' but a G thang, baaaaabay!
Two loced out G's so we're craaaaazay!
Death Row is the label that paaaaays me!

Here it's already showing aggression and pride, by talking about their home town, G's = gangsters, and it talks about money (wow, real emotions).

Sure that's old school, now some new stuff.
Quote:
It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes

Pure lust.

What happened to real life?
Ayame
All that emo songs are depressing like Simple Plan: "everyone hate me and I hate myself"...
Rock songs I listen are not depressing at all! I think it's the contrary, it helps me to support my life^^
Twikki
Forgotten Legends wrote:
madsencarl wrote:
She's right, rock IS depressing. You should stop listening to rock and move onto, say, rap. Rap's actually, good music, therefore not depressing.


I do agree with this because it's true all rock bands do have some form of drepressing music, it just goes with the genre, and once again this is true, I have yet to hear any rap that is depressing.


i disagree, you'll make his ears bleed

anyway, rock music IS NOT depressing, but some of the sub genres are, emo and screamo for example are depressing
IceCameron
There is no way that you can say that rock is depressing just because you think it is.
What you could say is, i think rock is depressing.
Related topics
What is your favourite movie?
do you like Rock or Rap?
anyone accualy listen to metal anymore?
New Metal, Metal and Punk Rock, anyone like?
what can be done to save the local rock music scenes?
Anybody Like Classic Rock
The best Punk-Rock group?
J-Rock!
rock music
POP x ROCK
Rock never dies
Top 10 Rock Bands
Rock Bands!!!
Rap vs. Rock
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Music

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.