FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laws on Cannabis

stokenash
Hi, i was just wondering what you guys thaught the laws on Cannabis should be, especialy in the UK. Random i know Razz
R2.DETARD
wasn't there talk about raising the class of cannabis from C to B? or was that lowering it?
Either way, it's very hypocritical for governments to allow tabacco but ban Cannabis.

If druglords contributed the same amounts to political parties' as tobacco companies did, they would probably serve hash brownies in schools.
Vrythramax
the laws in the US over pot are simply absurd. I never heard of anyone smoking a whole ounce of weed and then robbing someone to get more....maybe steal some twinkies, but that's about it. Smile
Soulfire
As a nation, we can't even control drug use and abuse as it stands now. We can't control tobacco and alcohol. Legalizing another drug, which would make it more accessible and have more underage users, would screw up things even more.

I'm not for mind-altering substances.
Jeslyn
I really don't care about Cannibis.
Personally, I think Opium should be legalized.
But that's just me.
narc
I read this post like 3 times and could not figure out what the hell you guys were talking about. You were making absolutley no sense at all to me. I was scratching my head, scrolling up and down, reading again and again.

Then it dawned on me. I kept thinking you were talking about CANIBALS.

Perhaps I need some cannibus. I have the munchies, and the only thing that is going to help me is eating little kids.
Jeslyn
I hope that was a "joke"....
madsencarl
Weed on. That's all I've got to say. It shouldn't be legal, because then EVERYBODY would do it and that would be gay, and you'd lose some of the thrill of doing it.
narc
I do have a pretty big oven.

But I find that slow roasting over a fire pit really brings out the flavor nicely. Stuff an apple in their mouths, build a big fire, and spin 'em for about 8 hours. Invite your friends, 'cause there's a lot of meat on those little suckers.
Vrythramax
narc wrote:
I do have a pretty big oven.

But I find that slow roasting over a fire pit really brings out the flavor nicely. Stuff an apple in their mouths, build a big fire, and spin 'em for about 8 hours. Invite your friends, 'cause there's a lot of meat on those little suckers.

Shocked errr, what were you trying to say?
THELAW
I personally think the laws on cannibis should be lightend up a little. I mean it doesnt potentally harm you. and it can be used mediclly, so whats the problem? why cant it be legal? to me it will always be a mystery.
Vrythramax
with all the hype against "second hand smoke" I don't believe the US government is going to leaglize, or decrimininalize anything that that produses smoke. Just look at how they are treating a simple cigarette smoker. In some comunities in the US it it illegal to smoke outdoors!

You think they are going to legalize another form of smoke?....Think again.
Jeslyn
Oh the poor cigarette smokers. They can't inhale where they please. Woe is them.
sibbahz
I dont think it should be legalised, as that would make people think it held no or few risks. The downgrade to class c wasnt that bad, but making it legal really is not a good idea.
kung_fu_stu
I of course think it would be awsome if pot was legalized. However, this is very unlikely to happen. I'm not too worried though, because despite the fact that all this time it has been illegal I have never had a problem finding it not have I ever had trouble findind a safe place to smoke it. Toke on!
ne423005
I think the goverment's of the various countries where it is not legal are losing out on major regulation money. You could easily regulate the intustry and make millions. Plus, it seem stupid to tell people they can smoke tobacco to hurt themselves but not something else.
RaMo
madsencarl wrote:
Weed on. That's all I've got to say. It shouldn't be legal, because then EVERYBODY would do it and that would be gay, and you'd lose some of the thrill of doing it.

SO TRUE BROTHER. PEACE.
CompactHaven
Soulfire wrote:
As a nation, we can't even control drug use and abuse as it stands now. We can't control tobacco and alcohol. Legalizing another drug, which would make it more accessible and have more underage users, would screw up things even more.

I'm not for mind-altering substances.

I'm not for marijuana either, but here are a few things to think about.

There were more than 700,000 marijuana arrests in the United States in 1997.
Of these arrests, 87% were for possession rather than sale or manufacture.
It is often asserted that these arrests rarely lead to any substantial penalty, and that therefore the costs of the current high-arrest policy, both to those arrested and to the correctional system, are modest. Some recent figures from the Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) cast doubt on that assertion.
Calculations based on recent BJS reports suggest that, at any one time, 59,300 prisoners charged with or convicted of violating marijuana laws (3.3% of the total incarcerated population) are behind bars, at a total cost to taxpayers of some $1.2 billion per year. They represent almost 12% of the total federal prison population and about 2.7% of the state prison population.

I think that we are spending too much money on Marijuana arrests, and should be spending that money in other ways.

Also, I think marijuana should be decriminalised, but legalised.

"A law that is not obeyed, and cannot be enforced, does more harm to you than it does to those you try to govern. As Albert Einstein said after the repeal of the Prohibition laws, nothing will cause more disrespect of government than the enactment of laws that cannot be enforced."
Vrythramax
CompactHaven wrote:
Birthday today! 3-8-06 18yrs old!

A belated Happy Birthday to you Very Happy
thiamshui
Cannabis is illegal here in my country.. I feel it should remain as it is (banned ).. It is very harmful and can harm the lungs, heart and even cause cancer.. It will also affect the brain: thinking and reflexes are slowed..

See: http://www.well.com/user/woa/fspot.htm

I do not quite approve of tobacco too.. Drugs that are harmful should be banned.. It not only harms the drug abusers, it harms those around them and the environment as well..
Frop
In my oppinion softdrugs (cannabis) should be legalised, I have some arguments here to support this:

*The use of cannabis in the Netherlands (where it is legalised) is lower than in neighbouring countries where cannabis is oppressed/illegal:

of 15 yr olds:

Netherlands: 28% have used cannabis
Ireland: 39%
Brittish ppl: 38%
French: 38%
Belgians: 32%

So the argument of legalisation stimulating usage=nono

(Source: Coffeeshops & cannabisJustitutiële verkenningen, 2006, 188pages)

___
* The addictive aspect, and most (possible) negative consequences of using weed are totally overrated. It's just that drugs is so stigmatised (is that right in English??) by society (in contrary to, here in Belgium for example, alcohol), that people are just so blinded, so black/white.
___
*legalisation is the only way the people can truly be informed about the (possible) consequences it can have.
In contrast to now, where our government (i'm talking about Belgium) rather invests money in campagnes contra weed. As long as it isn't legalized, the government can't really hold a campaign telling, for example, how to blow safely, or how to seperate quality from trash stuff. -->legalize it->socially accepted->clear image about drugs.
This will have as + side that a lot of people, who would've done it anyway, are way more informed, and can 'blow' in a much safer and better way.
__
*Another + of legalizing it would be the quality-control of softddrugs.
Right now here in Belgium you have to get your stuff via via, unexperienced/unaware clients often buy low quality stuff that can make you hallucinate (in a wrong way), gets you mass-headaches etc.
__
*Making it illegal hasn't stopped anyone from using it. The logical thing to do is make it legal and tax the heck out of it. The economical benefits of doing such a thing can't be underestimated!
__
*Hemp needs to be grown as an alternative fuel source as well as an alternative to wood in paper products.
__
*Peoplethat are know to have been pot smokers...

The Beatles
Bob Dylan
George Washington
Winston Churchill
Ted Turner
John F Kenedy
Thomas Jefferson
Pablo Picasso
William Shakespeare

Michael Bloomberg (Mayor of NY and Multi Millionaire).
Vrythramax
Vrythramax
Frop wrote:
In my oppinion softdrugs (cannabis) should be legalised, I have some arguments here to support this:

*The use of cannabis in the Netherlands (where it is legalised) is lower than in neighbouring countries where cannabis is oppressed/illegal:

of 15 yr olds:

Netherlands: 28% have used cannabis
Ireland: 39%
Brittish ppl: 38%
French: 38%
Belgians: 32%

So the argument of legalisation stimulating usage=nono

(Source: Coffeeshops & cannabisJustitutiële verkenningen, 2006, 188pages)

___
* The addictive aspect, and most (possible) negative consequences of using weed are totally overrated. It's just that drugs is so stigmatised (is that right in English??) by society (in contrary to, here in Belgium for example, alcohol), that people are just so blinded, so black/white.
___
*legalisation is the only way the people can truly be informed about the (possible) consequences it can have.
In contrast to now, where our government (i'm talking about Belgium) rather invests money in campagnes contra weed. As long as it isn't legalized, the government can't really hold a campaign telling, for example, how to blow safely, or how to seperate quality from trash stuff. -->legalize it->socially accepted->clear image about drugs.
This will have as + side that a lot of people, who would've done it anyway, are way more informed, and can 'blow' in a much safer and better way.
__
*Another + of legalizing it would be the quality-control of softddrugs.
Right now here in Belgium you have to get your stuff via via, unexperienced/unaware clients often buy low quality stuff that can make you hallucinate (in a wrong way), gets you mass-headaches etc.
__
*Making it illegal hasn't stopped anyone from using it. The logical thing to do is make it legal and tax the heck out of it. The economical benefits of doing such a thing can't be underestimated!
__
*Hemp needs to be grown as an alternative fuel source as well as an alternative to wood in paper products.
__
*Peoplethat are know to have been pot smokers...

The Beatles
Bob Dylan
George Washington
Winston Churchill
Ted Turner
John F Kenedy
Thomas Jefferson
Pablo Picasso
William Shakespeare

Michael Bloomberg (Mayor of NY and Multi Millionaire).

Very Nice stats...and you can add me as a dedicated pot smoker to your list....but then again I am not famous Sad

*sigh*
Frop
Vrythramax wrote:

Very Nice stats...and you can add me as a dedicated pot smoker to your list....but then again I am not famous Sad

*sigh*

Check my edit Laughing .

Most of the stats I found because i had to do a debate in school, vs a bunch of conservative pussies who'se only arguement basicly was: 'drugs are bad'. Ha did we pwn them Cool
Smile
briancoit
Personally, I dont think it should be legalised.

I'll openly admit to smoking it, and I dont like the whole taboo concerning it, but lets face it; as soon as its legalised, it'll be excessively taxed, and they'll need to find ways of monitoring it, checking levels when driving, etc etc.

On the otherhand, from the smokers point of view, it'll probably mean better quality weed, cheaper prices (before tax, lol), not having to "shit your pants" when you see the boys in blue (or black).

Its funny, you dont realise how many people actually do smoke it, until you start smoking it yourself - its incredible! I've been smoking it for three years now, and I wouldnt have said its had a negative impact on my life, and thats smoking it most nights - infact, the social aspect may well have improved aspects of my life!

I dont theres a problem with how things are in the UK, the police up here in Scotland seem fairly relaxed when it comes to it, and aslong as your just smoking it, a warning is the most you'll get if you're caught (until you're caught again that is), but I tend to find that the police would rather turn a blind eye, than waste time on someone smoking something that half the population smokes.
bdoneck
I believe that marijuana should be legal. I feel that way too much money is spent on enforcing drug laws and that this money can be used on better, more important things. I personally have found nothing wrong with the drug, though I never became a real user. If it were legal, it could also help the economy because more money would be legally spent and taxed to help the economy. Also, the millions of dollars spent enforcing drug laws could be used elsewhere for other things like schools.
ThornsOfSorrow
I don't smoke pot, but it seems like almost everyone else in America does, so I think it should just be legalized and taxed. Not much would change except that we would be making money off of it and that the police would be able to focus on other, more important crimes.
_VMX_
It should be legalized in my opinion, with no doubts.

Everything would be advantages. Many dumb people just get on it because of the "thrill" of doing something illegal, and that's just plain stupid. If it was just legalized like cigarrettes, it wouldn't be such a mistery for so many.

On the other hand, there would be so much more information about it, and it would have to be controlled so that its coposition would have to be alright, and thus you would avoid dealers selling shit at high prices.

It's already been done in some countries and the percetage of people smoking weed has even decreased as far as I know, so I can't see any drawbacks.

Having said this, I don't smoke pot or cigarrettes.
eggg
Absolutely should be legal. It's already widely available, so I don't think a lot of people would start smoking it. Those who want to, for the most part, already are. It has not been conclusively linked with cancer, it does not impair motor skills and reaction time to nearly the extent that alcohol does, even if it is addictive it is not nearly as addictive as tobacco or alcohol, and you can't over dose on it.

The only effects, in reality, of marijuana prohibition are the alienation of a segment of modern culture, the inflation of marijuana prices due to false scarcity, the wasting of our tax dollars on enforcement, and the funneling of money into the pockets of whoever is willing to break laws and produce or distribute marijuana. Creating a black market industry is just not good for society, and it would be impossible for government to actually eliminate the demand for marijuana. Even if it were taxed heavily, it would still likely be far less expensive than it is now, and we'd have one less black market cash cow out there. Ideally, I'd like to see home growing legalized. And I'm even leaving out the myriad advantages of legal industrial hemp here. The legalization question is not even a question to me.
a.Bird
thiamshui wrote:
Cannabis is illegal here in my country.. I feel it should remain as it is (banned ).. It is very harmful and can harm the lungs, heart and even cause cancer.. It will also affect the brain: thinking and reflexes are slowed..

See: http://www.well.com/user/woa/fspot.htm

Oh great, poorly founded fact sheet from 1984. Let's see how much rusty nonsense we can dig up on the internet.
screamingdecay
keep it banned!
DopeyCriz
Hello...

I smoke cannabis now and then. I have been busted by the polices three times due to possession twice and other time, I walked through the police station smoking the cannabis because I was drunk.

People should be allowed to smoke cannabis if they please, in their home, in their own time. Not in public places or work.

The government is full of shit. Giving us all stupid laws.

Anyways.
Continue the discussion, im out.

~DopeyCriz
a.Bird
screamingdecay wrote:
keep it banned!

Help us understand why it should be kept banned, perhaps some well documented research or undisputable facts. If I just said "ban ice cream!" you would probably want to know my reasoning.
saeleyjnr
If you ask me, which this thread is..

All forms of smoking should be banned!

This includes cigs.

I cant see any reason why society still puts up with the foul practice that is smoking. Absolutely nothing positive comes out of it.

Those who smoke are incredibly selfish and care not for the state of everybody else' health, nor do they care about how much of a leach they really are on the NHS (uk).

Nothing annoys me more than getting home everyday and having my clothes covered in the stench of cigarettes and marijuana. Having the smell leaking from my hair.

It's horrible.

I always deteste having to go to a pub, club, bar, train, bus, tram, any building or just having to navigate my way around any metropolitan built up area.

Forcing others to suffer for the sake of you (users) getting 'high' for a couple of hours.. well, lets just say that "annoys me" just doesnt quite express how i feel about it.
Vrythramax
@a.bird

The original post asked for our comments on the laws where we lived, it did not ask why thought that way.

We should all try to remain a bit civil please.
a.Bird
Since when is it uncivil to ask someone why the think the way they think? What is the point of stating your opinion of you can't discuss it? I'm having trouble understanding your logic. Think
vw_bugg
The problem with the laws on canibis is that this prevents the wide use of hemp which is a strain canibis that does not have as strong narcotic qualities. It loooks the same though. Hemp is completly renewabl and can be used for everything from clothes (ie shoes ties shirts) to ethanol (currently this if made from corn, hemp is better)and biodeisl to even housing. Yes... Hemp houses!

Hemp can also be used for food, hemp seeds are very nutritios.

While many countries prohibit the growing of hemp the united states at least allows it importation.

Now i dare you all to learn something.

For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp
Paper, bags, wallets http://www.hemp.com/
Hemp fuel http://www.hempcar.org/
clothing, shoes, hemp/cotten blend, even food http://www.hemp-sisters.com/index.htm
North American Industrial Hemp Council *Check out the Hemp facts*http://www.naihc.org/
Fabrics, *Especialy check out the Myths and realities* https://www.hemptraders.com/
Finally a neck tie not made from silk!! http://www.downbound.com/No_Sweatshop_Vegan_Organic_Hemp_Tie_p/pwt-e-nt3.htm
eggg
Hemp is a breed of cannabis, which is selectively bred for long, strong fibers. Marijuana is a different breed, which emphasizes high THC content.

Hemp seed is one of the most nutritious seeds known to man. From thehia.org:

Quote:
Hemp Seed is far more nutritious than even soybean, contains more essential fatty acids than any other source, is second only to soybeans in complete protein (but is more digestible by humans), is high in B-vitamins, and is 35% dietary fiber. Hemp seed is not psychoactive and cannot be used as a drug.

Hemp paper outlives tree paper by a long, long time, and doesn't yellow. Some of the oldest artifacts of ancient civilization that we have are pieces of hemp paper from thousands of years ago. To me, there is no excuse for ever cutting another tree for paper. The practice is just insane. Hemp will produce crop after crop while a single paper tree grows, and harvesting hemp does not damage any ecosystem, whereas harvesting trees obviously does.

The comment about hemp houses is interesting. All I've ever heard of is hemp fiberboard, which is certainly excellent fiberboard and could replace wood fiberboard in many places, but which a house couldn't be built of. I've never heard of a method by which to build a structurally sound house out of hemp. If it really does exist, please inform me!
vw_bugg
eggg wrote:

The comment about hemp houses is interesting. All I've ever heard of is hemp fiberboard, which is certainly excellent fiberboard and could replace wood fiberboard in many places, but which a house couldn't be built of. I've never heard of a method by which to build a structurally sound house out of hemp. If it really does exist, please inform me!

From the Wikipedia page
Quote:

Housing

70% of the Cannabis plant's total weight is made up of the 'hurd' or woody inner core. This part of the plant does not contain tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and can be used in housing construction. The silica leached from soil by the plant combined with unslaked lime (calcium oxide) forms a chemical bond similar to cement which is both fire and waterproof.
meet in rio
Whatever.

I think it probably should be legalised, simply because the only watertight reason I can see to feel bad about smoking is that, unless it's homegrown, the money will eventually work its way back to God-knows-who and be invested in God-knows-what. Legalise it, tax it outrageously, spend the resulting revenue on the NHS and drive the drug barons out of business. Or something.

I believe The Economist calls for the legalisation of all drugs for similar reasons.
briancoit
saeleyjnr wrote:
If you ask me, which this thread is..

All forms of smoking should be banned!

This includes cigs.

I cant see any reason why society still puts up with the foul practice that is smoking. Absolutely nothing positive comes out of it.

Those who smoke are incredibly selfish and care not for the state of everybody else' health, nor do they care about how much of a leach they really are on the NHS (uk).

Nothing annoys me more than getting home everyday and having my clothes covered in the stench of cigarettes and marijuana. Having the smell leaking from my hair.

It's horrible.

I always deteste having to go to a pub, club, bar, train, bus, tram, any building or just having to navigate my way around any metropolitan built up area.

Forcing others to suffer for the sake of you (users) getting 'high' for a couple of hours.. well, lets just say that "annoys me" just doesnt quite express how i feel about it.

wow, get a grip...

seriously, thats like saying drink has a negative effect on society, lets ban it!

Whether or not people chose to smoke in a pub or not, is different to making it illegal, dont you think?

Behind MY closed doors, where it doesnt affect you, why shouldnt I be allowed to smoke a cigarette or a joint?

I just dont see how most people who smoke cannabis, are FORCING you to suffer? Most smokers dont smoke it in public, and dont want people to smell it.... I know i dont!

As for being a leach on the NHS, I've only ever had treatment for a broken foot when i was at school, then been in for a few checks after some car accidents - now, tell me how i'm leaching off the NHS?

As opposed to drink, where its costing the tax payer serious money by way of NHS treatment. Who do you think the bigger drain is, the smoker, or the binge drinker? Who accounts for a VERY large %age of the numbers in A&E rooms across the country every friday and saturday night? Who's more of a drain to society as a whole? I'd say the binge drinker every time, without a doubt.

Having a smoke, being 'stoned', only becomes a drain on society when it starts taking over peoples lives. The ocassional smoker, keeping themselves to themselves, isnt harming anyone IMO.
insolent1
The state must ban it if country want to have fine generation.
ncwdavid
I think it should be legal if alcohol is becuase i have heard from an expert before that there has never even been a death recorded simply from smoking cannabis and if you look at how many people dies from alcohol and acident that happen because of it which alot of the time end up killing someone.
SunburnedCactus
Smoke all you want, so long as you are completely sure that you have absolutely no latent tendency toward schizophrenia whatsoever.
a.Bird
insolent1 wrote:
The state must ban it if country want to have fine generation.
Lmao. Great um, uh... opinion. Now how about some useful facts to persuade those of us who think it must not be banned. Rolling Eyes

ncwdavid wrote:
I think it should be legal if alcohol is becuase i have heard from an expert before that there has never even been a death recorded simply from smoking cannabis and if you look at how many people dies from alcohol and acident that happen because of it which alot of the time end up killing someone.
That's a good fact to bring up- there are no recorded deaths resulting primarily from cannabis use. Another thing to mention is that you can't overdose on pot. And vaporized weed, as well as cooked weed, which contains no carcinogens or nasty elements that smoking weed results in, has no negative effects on your health (aside from maybe getting the munchies and eating too many pop-tarts or big macs Razz)
Josso
A few years ago in the UK, the government decided to take it down from class B to C. It means if your found in posession of it (small ammount) they can't do anything, smoking in public is generally prohibited I think but, a small ammount in your home is completely legal. It's really exagerated and is less harmful and several legal drugs so I guess the C classing is fair, if it was legalized completly I can see some potential problems over here anyway. B is absurd though, there is talk of it going back up but there's going to be protesting I guess