FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you think Vista can challenge Linux?

Do you think Vista can challenge Linux?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
No, Nope, Na Na, Never, Are you crazy of course not!
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Maybe!
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Whats Vista? Or whats Linux?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

udaykamboj
Can windows really challenge Linux with Vista. Gates seem to invest a lot on this new toy of his... Wats ur opinion?
Sebaci
You should rather ask: "Do you think Linux can challenge Vista?
For me, nothing can challange Vista
Nyizsa
As long as its non-free - NO WAY!!!!
Instead of paying a car's price for crap, I would certainly choose security and stability = Linux.
Or what do you mean on challenge? To compare the features and cost-effectivenesses of the two poroducts? I think everybody can calculate it in a matter of seconds... Cool
tomahawk19
If you take cost out of the picture (like I can because I have access to the MSDN), then I think Vista may have a chance at taking on linux. I use linux on both of my systems at home, but dual boot one of them (still having problems with linux on my desktop tho). Vista is supposed to be flat out amazing according to all the hype. I've run Vista beta 1 & 2, and if the debug programs weren't all running, the system would be flat out amazing. I can't wait till they finally release it. It was supposed to have been released like a week or 2 ago, but they needed to make sure it was running strong, so they delayed it again, but I'd rather have them get it right, rather than have to release a whole bunch of hot fixes, and patches right off the bat.
Bones
Vista challenge Linux? It's the other way around. Sure Linux is great, sure Linux is free, but lets face facts here. Windows is probably running on at least a thousand machines for every one that is running Linux.
Out of those pc's that are running some linux distro, I bet that 75% of those are dual booting some flavor of Windows as well.

On top of that, the 'average' computer user wouldn't have much hope of ever getting a linux distro to run properly, (hell half of em are lucky if they can install drivers and send gramma email) Not to mention the lack of software support for Linux..it's not like you can run to the local software store and grab a copy of Quake 4 for linux (hrm maybe you can, but most software you can't)

Car's price for crap? Man I need to move to your area if you can get a car for $100-200 that isn't falling apart. In Window's defence..it's only crap if you dont know how to maintain/secure/use it properly, just like your car would be if you dont maintain it properly. Your car isnt going to run well for 3 years without a tune up and oil change...why should your pc?

Windows already has the market, it's linux that needs to try to compete.
I'm not knocking Linux, I actually like it...but the masses need a simple OS like Windows.

The live previews of Vista that I have seen were pretty impressive, yes a lot of it is eye candy, but the security looks quite a bit better too (hopefully), like having to click allow/deny prompts before the system will allow access to core components like the registry editor (kinda like entering the root password to run linux components) If it works out, it should cut down on spyware and virus infections because they will not be able to access the components they need to install themselves unless the user allows it.
Xeniczone
any operating system that doesn't crash is better then windows.

That include every other os other then windows Wink
Helios
Windows can't be compared with Linux as Rock can't be compared with Rap - two different things for 2 different kinds of people.
martindecorte
Helios wrote:
Windows can't be compared with Linux as Rock can't be compared with Rap - two different things for 2 different kinds of people.

Exactly. We can't tell one OS can challenge the other since they are part of 2 different worlds.
By the way, what is SO particular in Vista, that can make its popularity grow so much that you have such ideas ?
Helios
Huh?

It's Microsoft Windows Vista.

I'm pretty sure it'll be popular.
Sachsengulli
"By the way, what is SO particular in Vista, that can make its popularity grow so much that you have such ideas ?"

Simple. It's that it will come pre-loaded with most computers.
martindecorte
Sachsengulli wrote:
"By the way, what is SO particular in Vista, that can make its popularity grow so much that you have such ideas ?"

Simple. It's that it will come pre-loaded with most computers.

In that case, why would Vista get a different success that XP's or 98's ? Those versions were also pre-loaded with most computers.

I'm afraid that lots of people get so excited about Windows Vista, but in the end it'll be nothing but a newer version of Windows XP. I don't expect any revolutionary tool that will Vista challenge Linux better that XP did.
cyph33r
Open Source software is generally better than closed source - so Linux will always be tops as the whole community of linux developers are stronger than just the developers at microsoft !
ocalhoun
Windows Vista : Windows XP :: Windows XP : Windows 2000
Do ya'll understand that?
screamingdecay
Windows crashing = Users fault.

My windwos has not crashed for over 2 years Rolling Eyes The last time I had an OS crash was with Windows ME which was crap I agree.
{name here}
You can't challenge the top without a solid base. Linux just can't stand up to windows. Normal users would never risk the jump.
raman
Hard to say since I haven't tried either but I would put my money on Vista.
mOrpheuS
ocalhoun wrote:
Windows Vista : Windows XP :: Windows XP : Windows 2000
Do ya'll understand that?

I will disagree with that.
There has been significantly more code rewrite for vista.
It is indeed more than just a face-lift. Wink

screamingdecay wrote:
Windows crashing = Users fault.

I agree.
And that's the primary fault of windows - Its not stopping users from messing up their own systems.

If you've used the beta, you'd have noticed the difference.

They now try to run applications with minimal privileges.
And more annoyingly, they've added alerts and notices before almost any system configuration change is attempted or applied.

And in that department, I think they've taken a bit too far.
The better option would have been to go the Linux way - make system configuration changes so difficult/inaccessible/hard-to-reach for the ordinary user that they don't even dare touch those. Laughing

p.s. - On the topic itself - I find the subject amusing.
Come on ! It's MS Windows !
They don't have to challenge anybody or anything.
Infact, they don't have to try too hard even to dominate the market share.

People were skeptic even when XP was launched, but that didn't stop it from becoming the norm for today's desktop PCs.
Vista will be as huge as XP if not more, skeptics notwithstanding.
Bones
The alerts and notices before system changes and/or opening critical system components (like regedit for instance) are annoying. Although I don't think they have much choice..the average pc user is too stupid to know what is for their own good and click 'next' at every prompt hoping it goes away.

I imagine MS is just getting tired of taking thousands of support calls a day where 75% of the issues could have been avoided if the end user had a clue in their skull. In my personal experience, 90% of the infected pc's I have worked on were infected by user stupidity, not a fault in the OS.

If the prompts and warnings in Vista work as they are supposed to, now when you get infected with something, the whole world can stand back...point and laugh.