FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adding to CD-RW

RiCtee
Is it possible to add files (specifically music files) to a CD-RW without wiping out all the previously burned files?? And likewise delete some files from the disc without deleting all others. Some possible programs (more on the free side).
Helios
You can add new files, but if you want to delete, you'll have to erase the whole disc.
Scorpio
Yes it is possible to add new files to a cd rw

In fact you can add new files to a cd r if you have enabled multisession disc in the first burn
Nyizsa
Yes, it's very simple. The only thing you have to do is to import the previous session into the writer software, and then you can simply add the new stuff.
Bones
RiCtee wrote:
Is it possible to add files (specifically music files) to a CD-RW without wiping out all the previously burned files?? And likewise delete some files from the disc without deleting all others. Some possible programs (more on the free side).

The only problem with doing this is that some cd drives will not read multi-session disks, and would only show the last session burned, and as Scorpio said, multi-session must be enabled on the first burn.

If the disk is only going to be used in the drive that wrote it, then that shouldn't be an issue.
RiCtee
I don't get what you guys are saying. What does multisession mean?? Can someone give me a more thorough and newbie explanation?
Nyizsa wrote:
The only thing you have to do is to import the previous session into the writer software, and then you can simply add the new stuff.

Do you mean you need to save the project??
Scorpio
When you burn a CD R for the first time, in nero, you will have an option called MULTISESSION DISC which can be checked.

If done so, then you can burn more stuff to the disc separately if you have space left over from the first burn

Of course you cant remove or modify stuff on the disc but you can add more to it.

i.e you can burn to the disc in many sessions.. MULTI SESSIONS
aciminsk
Thanks guys. The thread helped me to handle my CD burner. Still a couple of questions. I'm using Debian Linux and there are two cd burner utilities. Namely GnomeBaker and KDE K3b. Is there an option to enable multisession in these utilities (I did not find so far), or have I to install something else?
Nyizsa
Gnomebaker currently doesn't support multisession CDs. It is planned in next releases, though. You may want to take a look at cdrecord. It is a command-line tool, so it may be a little difficult, but it supports multisession. (Gnomebaker also uses cdrecord anyway.) No idea about k3b...
JonathanCharles
Thanks for this valuable info.