FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Strange Hobby..... or not?

khemsoo
my hobby is programming!!!!!!!!
some people said to my "it's not a hobby" or "it's a job not a hobby"
but i like to write programs in different language (php, java, VB.net,...)
but i don't save most of this programs i just run it then delete it

i consider it as a hobby because i set every day about 4-6 houurs in programming Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
imera
I enjoy writing html codes for homepages, but like you I don’t save all of them. My family means that I should work as a homepage builder, in my mind it is just a hobby. I do not want to work as that because I do not think I would enjoy it.
But back to the subject. A hobby is something you can enjoy on your spare time, so you can call it a hobby. I enjoy writing, if I write books that sells will that mean that it is a job and not a hobby?? Confused Confused
mckenneth
aww... I like programming too.. and graphic design... i love doin some art... but wateverr.... i juz dont have time for those stuff nemore!... =( sad but true.. school's keepin me busy!... btw bck to hobbie... i lyk to listen to music... and dance?!... mostly everything from hiphop to jazz.. to anything... I play music too... piano keyboard.... i sometimes tried to make a song but it didnt end up good.. aaha... unfinished till now!... GRrRRGgrr...
dz9c
Programming is definetly a hobby. I cant do crap in programming besides do a LITTLE little bit in Visual Basic 6
neotask
My hobby is trying to set up an autosurf for neopets. Why is it a hobby? Ive been doing it for 1 and a half years, and if I had an ounce of business sence I would have given up by now Smile
Scorpio
Programming is certainly a hobby..

Because you can create interesting scripts or codes that can do unique things

This can be done just for fun

But in a programmin job you do what is told

so there is a difference
livilou
khemsoo wrote:

i consider it as a hobby because i set every day about 4-6 houurs in programming Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Maybe you can help me learn php. I have a site that I would love to set up that way.

Also, I love playing on the computer. Learning html is great and I love to design pages or take a template and change it around to see what I can do with it. Not only is it a great hobby, it's a great way to learn what html can and can't do.
hiquality
programming can be a hobby! BUT.. it could be a paid hobby. It is my hobby to. When i have time i'm looking for projects on freelancer.com (so i can also get paid Smile )
lethaltriad
Definately programming can be a hobby, much better like hiquality said to be a paid hobby cuz i know how stressing it can be and how much hours it takes to work on it.. so might as well get some money to do it in the process =)
missdixy
Well, many hobbies eventually turn into jobs.
Even if it doesn't, though, programming is a pretty good hobby to have!
SlowWalkere
I agree wholeheartedly. Programming can most certainly be a hobby...

When I really get into it, I sit at the desk and work on stuff for hours at a day. I do it just for fun - it's not related to any work. It's just fun to work on projects and get them to work, usually with some useful end...

Don't let anyone tell you it's not a hobby. They just wish they were as cool as us.

- Walkere
LittleMissPattycake
I would say it is a hobby. Pretty much, you can say anything you do is a hobby. In my opinion, anything you do in your free time can be your hobby. So, lets say you paint pictures in your free time. Well that doesn't mean you are a paid artist does it? So, I agree with you that what you do is a hobby.
GSIS
It's what you want to make of it, or what your skill levels allow you to make of it.

If you want it to be a hobby - that's what it is. You might do some paid-for work for other people, which is fine, but fundamentally - if you're doing it because you enjoy it - and you're not reliant on it for living expenses - it's a hobby.

If you become reliant on it for some living expenses, but also continue to do some programming for your own enjoyment (unpaid) it's what I would call a hobby-job. No harm in that.

If it's your sole, or major, source of income it's definitely a job. It can still be a hobby too. Just beware that many people, when turning a hobby into a full-time job, lose enjoyment in it as a hobby.

In the meantime, though, it's great to be working at something we enjoy - especially if we can make a decent living out of it!
Sitckd
Confused Most of these posts have already got it here... But to summarise some of these posts: A hobby an activity that you would enjoy doing. If you get paid for it, great! It's a hobby and a job. I personally would classify all hobbies as an art form like crafting or wrting stories... anything else and you've probably got Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Shocked (I don't sleep at night because I surf the net so much ) Crying or Very sad
filet
not that strange ..most people luv programming as hobby coz its something that you enjoy!!!!!
friuser
you must not be in a computer science course in college yet... it's not strange at all and I can honestly say that if you pursue a career in programming or do some real programming... 4-6 hours is nothing. Just look at all the open source software available and many of them are no longer being worked on because it takes so much time so I can only encourage you to continue.

Also frihost is a free web host. Your hobby is making your life online a little bit easier.
Manuel
imera wrote:
I enjoy writing html codes for homepages, but like you I don’t save all of them. My family means that I should work as a homepage builder, in my mind it is just a hobby. I do not want to work as that because I do not think I would enjoy it.

How cant you enjoy that?!?!?!?!

You do what you like to do and you get paid for that!!!

Thats kool man
Vrythramax
Sitckd wrote:
Confused Most of these posts have already got it here... But to summarise some of these posts: A hobby an activity that you would enjoy doing. If you get paid for it, great! It's a hobby and a job. I personally would classify all hobbies as an art form like crafting or wrting stories... anything else and you've probably got Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Shocked (I don't sleep at night because I surf the net so much ) Crying or Very sad

So why do you post?

Manuel wrote:
How cant you enjoy that?!?!?!?!

You do what you like to do and you get paid for that!!!

Thats kool man

Liking what you do, and doing what your like are completely different.
munkey_boy
Vrythramax wrote:

Liking what you do, and doing what your like are completely different.

+1 Too that.

Also. Java Programming one of my hobby's, I don't get paid for it but I still quite enjoy it. I just wish I could find some way to learn it quicker. xD
Soymilko
Actually, I think that's a really cool hobby. Not weird at all.
Rico
missdixy wrote:
Well, many hobbies eventually turn into jobs.

That’s what I wanted to say.

My dad on the other hand (incredibly talented artist), his hobby was also programming right up until he died.
Sad
agustin
I think it could be a hobby... You remind me a friend of mine that is a exelent programmer. He is really good! But I dont know... just do what you want to do without thinking if what you doing is a hobby or not!
nisharani
I guess it is for certain a passion for some people.
One of my good fren was so good in programming, he could really do any sort of programming . Doesn't matter how big they are. With the layout,concept etc.. But, but i feel sorry for him that he got involve with work collegues (drugs). He does no more programming now, which he considers waste of time.
ta
wxzt
You enjoy doing this and you feel happy, right?
So you will have fun during you do it.
Nothing is wrong! Juse a hobby!!
If you like, you can do it!
nisharani
So basically you mean. People do what they enjoy of doing it. People enjoy doing things what they like to do.
Sometimes people don't know what they enjoy. Unconciously they just doing same thing which make them habbit of doing it, and finally they think thats their hobby.
HollyK
It's also a hobby. I for one enjoy the challenge of building something. In a way it is like putting together a model and doing chess or sudoko. I also know a few others who do that.
Vrythramax
I'm going to sum this up simply then go with one of my own hobbies....

Anything you do for the sheer enjoyment of doing it, as long as it does not harm anything else, is a perfectly acceptable hobby.

I was going to close this topic (one of my hobbies)....but now I don't think I should.
FirecrackerLabels
A hobby can be what ever you want it to be, nobody has the right to say what is a hobby and what isn't. If you enjoy doing something on a regular basis and you are not being paid for doing it at that time then that sounds like a hobby to me!! And in the end what difference does it make what someone says if you enjoy it then just keep doing it, in the end your opnion is the only one that matters.
Hunterseaker
there is nothing wrong with programming as a hobby, I don't see it as a job.
It is a lot of fun to watch the results and make funny programs, tho I do find it strange that you delete your programs.....
LeatherRose
khemsoo wrote:

that isn't a weird hobby at all! alot of people enjoy doing that. as do it...i'm just not to good at is lol
azbuky
I think programming is a hobby. And I really think you can become good at it, just like you become good at maths, if you really dedicate your time and if you like it!
gandalfthegrey
One of my hobbies is collecting Transit Maps. Very Happy