FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Downloader Utilities

Ahmad Khan
I have tried several downloaders ranging from browser built-in downloading plugins (perhaps everyone has) to the automated downloaders like DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) FlashGet and so on. But since I came accross Conceiva's Download Studio, I have come to know the world is vaster than I thought. This is because of its long range of features from simple file downloading, to automated searches all over a domain for some specific types of files and downloading them in queue. It is automated, means you can creat custom schedules. It can download ranges of files by simply giving file range (form and to). It can download whole websites, and process them for offline access. It can automatically sniff URL from your normal browsing, trace them and creat a list for you to choose the download. It also features RSS feed support. And above all it is integrated into many browsers like opera I.Explorer, firefox etc.
It can allow you to download flash content that is nearly impossible to grab from a site. With it you can also detect the usage of transparent flash which make you rastricted. Watch for yourself and search more.
The only thing that is bad it that it is app 20Mb to download.
xkobram
Wow, Im gonna try it!!! Im using Flashget and I hate that pop-ups. But i like the web-browser in Flashget, because you can search site simple by files, not by pages and I like Flashget's language localization in Czech. I'm good in english but i still prefer Czech localization.
dz9c
Internet Download Accellerator is pretty cool when a site supports it when you download something from it! I have downloaded from sites at pretty impressive speeds because of it. I just wish it was more supported.
Traveller
Before becoming too dependent upon any "download accelerator," do plenty of research via google, et al, to see if anyone has reported anything nasty about them: a good number of such "accelerator" programs are loaded with spyware and adware.
RiCtee
I got another program - Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/). It is pretty good - fast, reliable and of course, free. No Spyware or Adware at the time of writing. Got all the basic functions of a download accelerator. I used it to download all my Linux distros without failure.
Indyan
I use IDM and Flashget.
IDM integrates very well with Opera and sites like rapidshare.
mtoni
using getright....
and of course the build in windows downloader... works fine for me
Varun
kewl dude, ill try and download it rite now and see if it works as good as you say it does, at the moment iam using this thing called ReGet, its quite ok but its not as great as the one you have mentioned...
exarkun
actually, the addons extension in firefox of TurboDownThemAll is already enough for me. Very Happy
pat2tones
Free Download Manager it free
ashik
Cool dude. Till now I used Flashget, but this sounds great..
I've also tried Free Download Manager, but for some reason I didnt like it..
Scorpio
I too use IDM and flashget

But DAP really sucks i should say..

I might give this Download manager a try for sure...

i ve changed 10-20 DMs so far
cheeta
My one and only reguler download software is DAP from the version 5.1 to now 8... i am with DAP...

yes recentlly i have strat using Flash get only coz the Megashare links do not work good with DAP...
neosree
I am also became an addict of Download Studio, which is really a great download manager. If we configure it optimally for owr own connection, then it will produce great results. Download Studio is best when downloading complete websites too. If I start to say about it's features, then there will not be any end. So I will stop here.
Idea Download Studio ROCKS! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
selim06
wow i will try it but i'm not sure i'M happy with my download maneger....
photographerguy
The default on my Mac is really fast.
Does a dwonload manager really make much of a difference?
Mine will resume if the connection is interrupted also.
The default on my win box at work (opera)
I am only asking because I have never used one, I'm not trying to start an argument.
The_Gamer294
Conceiva's Download Studio sounds good, im gunna try it. I've been waiting for somethng like this for a long time
pokethamage
I used Download Studio since it was still v2...v3 made it better...by a mile...it's the best dl manager i've seen...even though it costs money...
ryanh2006
I am using iGetter on my mac. I like it's simple interface and feature set. Regarding photographerguy

"The default on my Mac is really fast.
Does a dwonload manager really make much of a difference?..."

The reason why a download manager makes sense, is not only because it can resume downloads or sometimes download them faster, the most important reason is that you can queue multiple files. You can basically line up a multitude of files that you want to download and then leave the computer. The application will download them one by one untill they are done. Also, you can usually schedule downloads so that the files can be downloaded at certain times. I hope that this helps.
hellrahul
Hi !
I use Download express.
Its a free. Its fast.
Is very small to download.
It can work from ur tray.
get it from www.metaproducts.com/
neosree
The_Gamer294 wrote:
Conceiva's Download Studio sounds good, im gunna try it. I've been waiting for somethng like this for a long time

It is very good to see that more people are trying Download Studeo. Geeks must try this one before trying any other Download Managers.
{name here}
Opera's standard DL manager works fine with me if I'm not using torrents, which is much more frequent for the larger downloads. I've never had to download anything over 11 MB in a direct download.
technology.sponge
Any1 tried Metaproducts Downlaod Express?

Its got excellent throttling so it duznt hog all the bandwith and its SMALL in size - 790kb. Its lightweight too, starts up in a blink and integrated into IE and Frfx

Theres a freeware version for home use with advanced features disabled - not that you need them anyway (autoshutdown, scheduling etc.). Regisetering is i think abt 30 bux.
alienjones
RiCtee wrote:
I got another program - Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/). It is pretty good - fast, reliable and of course, free.

How did I manage my internet-life without a download-manager in the past? Very Happy
I dled and installed Free Download Manager on my computer testing it and guess what: I'll keep it cause it's good - a very handy tool. What I personally like best is the fact that tons of languages are available for the programm. This makes it even easier...
pudovkin
Mass Downloader is great!
http://www.metaproducts.com/
ehunter
I'm currently using Firefox + Flashgot + Free Download Manager.

Problems:
- I can not use all of them onmy USB not portable
- I rarely use Flashgot's other features except for invoking the Free Download Manager

Anyone could suggest a download manager that could do this:

1. Can integrate with my beloved Firefox (invoked when open a certain type of file in Firefox)

2. Portable (used with USB drive on any machine or compatible with portable Firefox)

Or any Firefox extension could do that?

Thanks
quartz
Download Studio is not free Sad i will not even try it, because there are many free and good download managers.
avk
I USE FREE DOWNLOAD MANAGER AND IT IS VERY GOOD TO USE.. NO ADVERTISEMENTS, FAST, RELIABALE AND GOOD..
dude_xyx
Well I use Download Express. its free and just 600 kb and works with all major web browsers. and its very efficient too. its the best one so far i have found and never had to change in to another one.
bnbrown
I like FireFox download...
DonRon
NEWSLEECHER
neosree
I have downloaded windows vista in 1 hour 45 minutes with a speed of 450-520KB per second, this is the first time I am getting such a speed and I download using Internet Download Manager. I already tries another ones and none of them give such a speed. And IDM Rocks I finally decided. Download studio gives a constant speed of 420 KB per second but all others are giving problems as there are brocken downloads happening every time.
umeshtangnu
Flash Get with flashgot plugin for firefor are just perfect for mine needs and since flashget's pop-ups stopped its even better Laughing
umeshtangnu
Flash Get with flashgot plugin for firefor are just perfect for mine needs and since flashget's pop-ups stopped its even better Laughing
lukeropro
Indyan wrote:
I use IDM and Flashget.
IDM integrates very well with Opera and sites like rapidshare.

Don't use IDM. It may contain spyware. I used to use it and after I uninstalled it I found out that a process called IDM is still running.
orcaz
free download manager seems to be a better choice as compared to Flashget. It is completely a freeware, and what's more, you can get to increase the number of jets as many as you want, as long as your computer can take it. I set mine to 20.
brauningbar
yep free download manager is strong.. and overall is really basic interface
other side yep.. Mozilla firefox download isnt bad.
mikethm
ryanh2006 wrote:
I am using iGetter on my mac. I like it's simple interface and feature set. Regarding photographerguy

"The default on my Mac is really fast.
Does a dwonload manager really make much of a difference?..."

The reason why a download manager makes sense, is not only because it can resume downloads or sometimes download them faster, the most important reason is that you can queue multiple files. You can basically line up a multitude of files that you want to download and then leave the computer. The application will download them one by one untill they are done. Also, you can usually schedule downloads so that the files can be downloaded at certain times. I hope that this helps.

Ya ryan is right. A download manager is important when your internet connection have low bandwidth and big downloads take hours... so when the download got stuck... without a DM, you would have to start anew.

I am not being sacastic, I really forgot why I used DM last time too. Maybe photoguy got on the internet from the start on a broadband connection, this thread reminds me of the days where I was on dial up a decade ago and DM were really important... phone bills really mount up when a download get stuck and you spend hours on the internet as a result. Even with basic broadband, DMs still are relatively useful. But now that I am on a 10Mb connection, I have no use for DMs. Smile