FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Funny Pictures!

Jamatu
The website has been up for a couple of weeks now and from looking at it so often i've started to get extremely bored of it's 'rigid' design so I decided to change it. I'm currently in the process of converting the whole site from a table layout to a CSS layout. I'm going with a more rounded layout rather than a 90 degree angle as you will notice.
Since I changed the basic layout of the front page i've noticed that a lot more visitors are staying at the website rather than just leaving straight the way. I hope to increase this even more by adding newest image thumnails.

The URL is - http://pics.uk.to

So what's your thoughts? What parts of the site could I change or remove, what things could I add? If you have any ideas post them, feedback is great!

P.S - Any CSS tips would be nice, i'm still pretty new to using them Wink
viperbattlefield
i cant think of any ideas but i love the layout. Once you find what you're gonna base the site on go here http://www.domainthenet.com/find_domain.asp and just use the .com name. then go to something like freedomain.co.nr or dot.tk for a free domain name.
warallthetm
Can you put me in the link section of your site???? I have a skate video site, the url is sk8te.tk or sk8te.ru.tf either or works fine!
Jamatu
Updated the site a lil bit, the news article CSS has been update and the comments page has been totally redone. It's still got no content though Confused
Dark-Tech
Seeeing as your title is as short as it is you should move your
Welcome Guest ( Log in | Register )

up next to it id also fix some of the forum graphics but you prolly were going to do that soon any way and also id make the ligns stronger for the boxes on the main page not dashed
mantasx
Make it about funny photos, I like thosos sites. + they attract many visitors Cool
Jamatu
Dark-Tech wrote:
Seeeing as your title is as short as it is you should move your
Welcome Guest ( Log in | Register )

up next to it id also fix some of the forum graphics but you prolly were going to do that soon any way and also id make the ligns stronger for the boxes on the main page not dashed

I'm planning to put google or Oxado adds there once I've finished the website, can't put them in yet though according to their TOS Confused.

About the forums, the graphics are pretty messed up atm, I made the Olympus forums look almost perfect with a custom template but it has so many bugs and unfinished features I decided to take it down until a beta version is released. I'll get around to fixing them shortly but it's not a top priority atm.

I used complete lines originally but as the design process went along I changed them to dashed lines. How come you think they should be stronger?

mantasx wrote:
Make it about funny photos, I like thosos sites. + they attract many visitors Cool

That's a pretty good suggestion! Could you post up a few example sites so I can browse around and get some ideas? We need to think of something that would make the website stand out of the crowd if I did decide to base my website on this.
warallthetm
Well, if you were to do that. I would suggest a good photogallery script. The only thing is that you may want to tailor it to your needs, do you by chance know any php? Heres a good easy to mod gallery script: http://www.no-hype.com/2006/04/19/pictelo-makes-it-easy-to-create-a-photo-album-on-your-website/
the demo is here: http://no-hype.com/intesting/gallery
Maybe you can incorperate a search engine for your pic's.
Maybe you want to take a spin at the search engine category. You can start an ad free google with this script. Or incorperate your own ads
http://multiz.com/googlescript.htm

First fingure out what your target audience should be. From that look at your competition. For instance, an I-am-bored.com type site, wouldent last, because there are thousands of them. If you still want to use that kind of site, then take a while and see how you can improve it, how to make it more user friendly....... Thats all i got (lol, thats like 4 frih$)
Jamatu
Thanks for the ideas warallthetm, in the end I decided to build my own image gallery script.

To make my site different from the others i'm going to be adding a comments system to the image viewing pages (i'll use the same code i wrote for the news system, shouldn't be to hard to port it). People will also be able to upload any funny pictures they have.

At the minute there's only a very small amount of pictures up so it would be a great help if people uploaded any funny pics they come accross!
warallthetm
Good job! I the page shouldn't feel so dark. Maybe choose a different color scheme. BTW, i see you got .uk.to to work, its worth the trouble of configing it. If you want a link swap, pm me
Jamatu
warallthetm wrote:
Good job! I the page shouldn't feel so dark. Maybe choose a different color scheme. BTW, i see you got .uk.to to work, its worth the trouble of configing it. If you want a link swap, pm me

Hmmm, templating that isn't such a bad idea, then people can change the colours to whatever mood there in Razz By the way since the server is based on my I.P address and it's got a dedicated I.P I can just use type A and point it to my I.P address Laughing
salman_500
will you plz link to my site???
Harmony
Well would love to oblige you, but every time i try to download a pic it tells me its the wrong format but they are jpg. files and under the amount you say....so i cant load them for you??????
Jamatu
salman_500 wrote:
will you plz link to my site???

I'm going to be taking the current links down soon and making a link exchange i'll get in contact with you after i've completed it.

Harmony wrote:
Well would love to oblige you, but every time i try to download a pic it tells me its the wrong format but they are jpg. files and under the amount you say....so i cant load them for you??????

I think you mean upload a picture? You are correct though. I added a check for the filsize of uploaded pictures but being as though it was like 1am my brain was half asleep I didn't check what type of size measurement $_FILES['uploadedfile']['size']; uses. I assumed kb and but it's actually bits.

Anyways the upload page is fully operational again and the filesize limit is now 500kb NOT 0.5kb Rolling Eyes
I wondered why there hadn't been any uploads for a few days Confused
warallthetm
how do you upload? I registered, but i cant figure out where the upload page is!
Jamatu
warallthetm wrote:
how do you upload? I registered, but i cant figure out where the upload page is!

You don't need to register to upload images, for the time being anyone can upload them. The url for the upload page is http://pics.uk.to/upload.php I haven't added a link to the upload page on the main website yet as i'm still testing it for bugs and security holes.
warallthetm
ooook! What upload system do you use?? Cuz i'm using one now thats dosn't really work 2 good
Jamatu
warallthetm wrote:
ooook! What upload system do you use?? Cuz i'm using one now thats dosn't really work 2 good

I designed it myself, all it does is upload the the file to the directory based on the category choice and insert certain data into the image database.
Jamatu
Updated the main post with new info about the website, need some feedback!
gothicgeek
Nice site, but I thought making an image hosting site on Frihost was a violation of ToS?

As for suggestions, the red tabs cut off the words, and I would move the login box to the right side of the screen.
Jamatu
gothicgeek wrote:
Nice site, but I thought making an image hosting site on Frihost was a violation of ToS?

As for suggestions, the red tabs cut off the words, and I would move the login box to the right side of the screen.

My website isn't hosted on the Frihost servers Wink

What do you mean when you say the red tabs are cutting off the words? According to the apache logs and the time you posted this your using Safari on a mac right? Could you post a screenshot of what it looks like so I could see exactly what's up and fix it?

I've actually been thinking of moving the login box to the right side of the screen, I'll get onto moving it ASAP!
webcola
Nice website! It should pick up traffic soon.

One question, how did you make that upload form? I've been trying to make an upload site, but I'm still learning. Is there like a tutorial or example that helped you make it? Thanks.
Jamatu
webcola wrote:
Nice website! It should pick up traffic soon.

One question, how did you make that upload form? I've been trying to make an upload site, but I'm still learning. Is there like a tutorial or example that helped you make it? Thanks.

I hope it picks up traffic soon, advertising the site is alot harder than I thought it would be O.O

By the way here is the code I made for the upload form - http://pastebin.com/744760
Hope it helps!
webcola
sweet, thx much!