FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anybody else here a little peeved off?

Do you think Frihost is a good FREE hosting service?
Yes!
96%
 96%  [ 24 ]
No.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

kattymeowmeow
I really don't appriciate the things we (the users) have to go through just to get some simple hosting services! They make us post... then we have to wait 2-3 days to get our request processed. I totally understand the need for not wasting things, but this is ridiculous!
I send the guy, noobie4life, a staff member, some sugestions on how he can improve this system of posting, and here's what he replies with:

I agree with your stance on being "rejected" after queueing for days.

(I don't mind being rejected... I DO mind doing stuff like this)

But have you ever thought how hard would it be to remove that probably 1,000 accounts created in that month?

(http://www.freewebtown.com doesn't need to remove accounts all the time, maybe frihost should get a bigger server)

We have over 100 requsets coming in everyday, 100*30 = 3,000. We don't really have the time to press "delete" for 3,000 accounts.

(I understand that... anything that's free people will flock to. And just so you know, noobie4life, you already are "pressing delete" for those 3000 accounts by using this system! You have to go through and INDIVIDUALLY moniter requests! That is the WORST possible system. Any system where you sign up and have to go through other humans to get something done is inefficiant and bad for the user! Sure, a robot ain't going to look at all those requests, but it can track hits on a webpage and can track the number of times someone has logged into his or her account, so I hope you guys get into the 21st century and upgrade to a more user-friendly system!)

I hope you understand me.

Well... Forgive me. I should be thankful for all this free stuff. The system's a real pain in the @$$, but hey, nothing's free.

kkmm
Mr Smith
You are completely wrong. You are here to post SO YOU DON'T HAVE ADVERTISMENTS ON YOUR WEBSITE! Would you rather posting 7 decent times a week to maintain your points and have NO advertisments on your site, or have a webite with continuous popups?

I feel that you should think twice before insulting this service, as from two YEARS of looking for a decent hosting service, this is the best I have ever come across.
thegamecreator
Frihost is the best free hosting out there...i dont care about any other opinions

ITS A FACT.
jaysen
Myself, I prefer this way over having massive advertisements all over my page. Nothings really free anyway.

I do have to say that in my short while here, It seems to me that the staff, moderators, and most members are, for the most part, trying pretty hard to make this the best place to be, on many levels, and it's cool to see things work out as well as it is. I've seen many traditional hosts with banner ads and the like come and go over the years. Go look around for other "free" hosts and you will see why this one seems to be growing rapidly. Mind you, you're here, so i'm sure you must agree many other choices are lackluster at best. Popping in to say "hi" or give/take advice in a forum a very small price to pay and you might even learn something along the way! (Even if you're as old and stupid as i am Laughing )
Vrythramax
I have found the Frihost staf to be as responsive as possible given the amount of work they do. Thier support staf is top notch, and to date I have had all my questions answered in a timely (and politly) mannor. If anything peeves me off it's poeple who complain about a *FREE* service. There are many webhosts out there that don't offer anywhere near the services Frihost offers.

I could say much more, but I would just be flaming then.
benji2
i agree the wait is a pain in the butt but i accept it because i realize they are very busy and it gives me more time to get to know the people here and join in more before i am busy with my own site. tbh i couldnt care less if i had advertisements on my board but it is nice not to have them.
like was said in the previous post how can u complain about a free service...if u wnat better go pay 10 bux a month (120 bux per year) ...hmm yer didnt think so.
no1 said u have to use frihost for your site so if u really dont like it dont use it.simple as.

had to add my 2 cents
climbing down off soap box

PeaCe
BenJi
Helios
Well, when I first read about this hosting on some website, I though: "Why the ****** should I post to get hosted?"

After some time I've understood that it's not a hassle for me to write here. It's acutally fun!
IMO the main reason is that I feel no presure. I don't have to post a certain amount of posts per week(or day) just to keep my account alive.
I don't have to live in fear.
I like posting here and that is keeping my account alive.

The point system here is quite flexible.
After certain amount of posts you don't have to worry about losing points!

And even if your points went below zero, you'd get 2 warnings before you get your account deleted.
Other admins won't even talk to you, no matter how many "points" you have.
Gieter
It's your choice to post on this forum and get hosted... nobody forces you... You also can get hosted by geocities or lycos tripod, there you don't have to post, but there will be ads on your website if you don't mind...

Frihost is a great webhosting service, you don't have to post much in order to get your needed points. And the forum/community isn't too bad, is it?
Blaster
Just remember frihost is free and one of the best. You shouldn't be mad about it. Really it isn't that bad to wait a couple of days. Would you rather have ads on your site that you dont make money off of or wait a couple of days? Be real now people. Stop complaining it is ran by 1 person and his staff. They are regular people not in this for the money but rather just to offer the best free hosting anyone has had. Bondings is spending money out of his pocket and you should be thankful that he doesn't shut this down. So please people stop being "why didn't i get my account" it is annoying to hear this.

You will get your account so don't worry you will get it.
rightclickscott
I don't really mind this kind of system because I post alot on other forums, and here, I can post for a purpose. I've always needed a new host, and one with features this good (especially the 250 mb), I can easily put the tedium of something I do on a daily basis anyways to good use. If you stay for awhile, you may also get pretty well known.
Animal
Frihost is a very advanced web hosting service too.

Several other "free" hosts have extremely low bandwidth (Frihost gives you loads), they limit individual file sizes (Frihost doesn't), they prevent you from having anything other that html and image files on your site (Frihost doesn't), they don't give you mySQL Databases (Frihost does) and, the point has been made before, that other free hosting services force you to have ads on every page. Frihost not only gives you ad-free hosting, we also allow you to put your own ads on your webspace so that you can make money out of your website.

This is a great deal as far as the user is concerned and all that we ask is that you post a few times a week to keep your account active. If you look through the offerings from other paid services you'll see that the hosting features you get from Frihost would cost a lot of money each month.

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion and yours has been voiced. So has mine. Wink
Vrythramax
Animal wrote:
Frihost is a very advanced web hosting service too.

Several other "free" hosts have extremely low bandwidth (Frihost gives you loads), they limit individual file sizes (Frihost doesn't), they prevent you from having anything other that html and image files on your site (Frihost doesn't), they don't give you mySQL Databases (Frihost does) and, the point has been made before, that other free hosting services force you to have ads on every page. Frihost not only gives you ad-free hosting, we also allow you to put your own ads on your webspace so that you can make money out of your website.

This is a great deal as far as the user is concerned and all that we ask is that you post a few times a week to keep your account active. If you look through the offerings from other paid services you'll see that the hosting features you get from Frihost would cost a lot of money each month.

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion and yours has been voiced. So has mine. Wink

This may be as construed as spam, but I think the last post say it all. Frihost offers many services not found elsewhere for pay hosts.

Delete this message if you see fit, but I think Bondings and his staff rule..
CompactHaven
Is the original poster schizo or did his statements have admin rebuttals?
Vrythramax
yeah I'm peeved, Bondings has helped me greatly, and he didn't have to. And i don't understand you statement....FRIHost is providing a FREE service...and you should be thankful.

Go to a free lunch and ask for change.
Marston
kattymeowmeow wrote:
I really don't appriciate the things we (the users) have to go through just to get some simple hosting services!
Hey! Stupid!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to run a server?

Clearly Not.

Do you have any idea how technically inclined you have to be to run a hosting service?

Clearly Not.

Do you realize that NOBODY thinks this is a bad hosting service?

I Hope So.

Maybe you should shut up and leave if you don't like posting here.
izcool
I have to put my foot down on this and say that I am VERY, VERY thankful for what the staff of FriHost are offering to us. They are doing this out of the goodness in their hearts, they aren't necessarily doing this to make money. (Well, as far as I know). I would imagine that the ads that you see here on the forums (not on your website, mind you) are there to help pay for the expenses to keep the 2 servers up.

FriHost is a great community to be a part of. Sure, you can find hosts online that you don't have to do diddly squat for to get, but FriHost kindly asks you that you participate in the forums every so often to keep your hosting account open.

Don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of good topics that are on here. If you look at my point count, there's a lot that interest me, where I've not even explored 75% of the other forums that are available on here to see what they contain lol. Laughing (I mainly go to the General Chat, the Computer forums, and the Programming forums).

I'm very fortunate to be a part of the first batch where I am located on the first server, that has cPanel, the control panel of my choice. I'm sure that if I ran into FriHost some time after I did, I would register anyways because of the fact that there are no advertisements on your site, that you get 250MB of space to grow from, PHP/MySQL support, and plenty of bandwidth.

I like the fact that each of the requests for hosting are handled on a case-by-case basis. They are doing this to make sure that the space is going to be used effectively and in the best way possible. This is better than wasting space on people who won't bother to use their hosting account for anything but hotlinking. That's one thing that FriHost does not allow, if you've read the TOS before applying. Use free image storage sites for those kinds of things. One of my favorites is Imageshack.

*Proud FriHost supporter gets off of soapbox*.

EDIT :
One thing that I forgotten to mention is that the Moderators on the forums here have fun by participating in the topics too. In many of the ones that I've been in, they've thrown in their opinion about something. They're all not mean where they delete every individual post just for the fun of it. They participate. Where else can you get staff members like that ?

- Mike.
mOrpheuS
kattymeowmeow wrote:
I really don't appriciate the things we (the users) have to go through just to get some simple hosting services! They make us post...

You make us look really evil. Confused
I'm sure one would have noticed the forum posting requirement before they even signed up here.
To say that we "make" them do anything is too strong a way to put it.
Either that, or they're just mesmerized. (I always suspected Bondings of possessing alien hypnotic powers) Laughing

kattymeowmeow wrote:
then we have to wait 2-3 days to get our request processed.

If I'm not mistaken, your application was handled within a day.
However, I won't disown the fact that it can take longer in some cases.

kattymeowmeow wrote:
I totally understand the need for not wasting things, but this is ridiculous!
http://www.free***town.com doesn't need to remove accounts all the time, maybe frihost should get a bigger server

How about gross misuse ?
I would have posted examples of sites hosted at free***town.com, but their content is not suitable for our forum. Anybody with a some knowledge of advanced search-engine string syntax can easily find hundreds of illegal sites hosted there.

And throwing in bigger servers is not the right solution in my opinion.

Also let's not do a feature to feature comparison between the frihost and free***town ... they both serve different categories of webmasters.
A webmaster's needs often outgrow "page-builder" hosts like free***town.
A FRIHoster is an ex-free***towner. Wink

kattymeowmeow wrote:
I send the guy, noobie4life, a staff member, some sugestions on how he can improve this system of posting, and here's what he replies with:

We have over 100 requsets coming in everyday, 100*30 = 3,000. We don't really have the time to press "delete" for 3,000 accounts.

You know what ? n0ob's wrong.
With an automated signup and account creation and no commitment to the community .. that number will be way higher than 3000. Wink

kattymeowmeow wrote:
And just so you know, noobie4life, you already are "pressing delete" for those 3000 accounts by using this system! You have to go through and INDIVIDUALLY moniter requests! That is the WORST possible system. Any system where you sign up and have to go through other humans to get something done is inefficiant and bad for the user! Sure, a robot ain't going to look at all those requests, but it can track hits on a webpage and can track the number of times someone has logged into his or her account, so I hope you guys get into the 21st century and upgrade to a more user-friendly system!)

We must manually process requests. A robot may be efficient, but it's pretty dumb for all the "brainpower" it has.
Can it tell apart a picture of a grasshopper from pr0n ?

By the way, Man vs. machine will make a good thread in the science and technology section. Perhaps that'll generate enough interest in you to post ? Smile

CompactHaven wrote:
did his statements have admin rebuttals?

Revenge and hard-feelings are things unknown at Bondings' planet. Cool

p.s. - I'll request members to avoid flaming, or this thread will have to be locked.
Jeslyn
Well firstly,
nobody's forcing you to be here.
If you look around, there are other free hosting sites; it took me about an hour of searching but I found another site, offering 12 times the space and no wait time or posting. If you don't like it find another host.
Nobody has an obligation to please you... especially since it's free. But that's just my two cents.
kattymeowmeow
OK OK! (Before I get flamed too badly here...)

Look... Anybody who has the GUTS to give away things I respect! Whether its the free sample employee at the local store or free web hosting. Maybe I overreaccted a little with Frihost and misjudged, but no one likes finding out that the thing that is supposed to be "free" involves posting on message boards. But before you charbroil me, take a moment to consider some of the other hosting services such as Geocities or CJB.net. Yeah, their features smell like yesteryears trash, but I'm sure you've heard of them on your quest for free stuff (if you're a freeloader like me Razz). And there is a huge base of people there. Why? Because their service is easy to use and obviously popular. I can assure you that at least 10% of the people that found out that they had to post here to get webspace left in search of one of the lesser hosts. Unfortuanatly, most people don't like working for free stuff.

But anyway... a lot of people are obviosly overwhelmingly pleased with your services Frihost. Sorry 'bout this kerap. The staff is very into this and isn't just the "hero of the dark" staff that only appear every once in a blue moon. Now I totally understand why you do the really nitpicky registration systems. When you look around at most webhosts, they don't give a flying crud about what you have on your servers. From p00rn to drug-dealing, they just let you walk by and sign up so they can host their pictures and sell illegal substances.

But you guys maintain a sense of quality, and it's taken 18 messages to convince me of this... Sorry for all the trouble I've caused ya. More power to you! Very Happy

KKMM
tidruG
As member of the staff, I apologize for some of the flamey posts in this thread in reply to your first post.

Anyway, I'm quite surprised you found out that you have to post to get hosted after you signed up Confused
I really don't see how that could have been possible.
It's clearly mentioned on the www.frihost.com home page, as shown in this little cropped screen-shot:

Also, upon clicking on "Apply Today" on the home page, you're taken to the Frihost Guide, in which it's clearly mentioned that you need to remain active on the forums in order to get an account.

Also, we really truly honestly are more keen on quality over quantity, which is why we make sure that our members are not spammers and post good posts that are of interest and add constructively to the forums, in order to make the process of posting more fun for our current patrons.

It is solely for this reason that we manually go through each user's posts before accepting their requests for hosting. We also make sure that no user cheats the system by having more than one account or more than one website hosted with us.

As for comparisons with CJB and Geocities... I find it rather irrational to compare Frihost with either of those services. Geocities not only places ads in your page, but it ruins your page layout with that nasty Geocities frame on the right. Add to that the fact that you get a domain name so long that you have to write it down and spend a couple of hours memorizing it Razz
As for CJB, I really don't know much about it because they refuse to give any information on their home page or Help pages Confused

I look at Frihost as more of an online community of webmasters rather than just a free webhosting service. This is what makes this place fun.
benji2
the mre active members they have on this forum the more staff they will have to have therefore they will have more people to answer oyur questiosn when you get stuck. theres 1 reason for making you post.
also it makes this forum active and anothe rplace to hang out so whats wrong with making a few posts or even 1 per day just to join in it doesnt take long.
Scorpio
The Flaming will go on unless such an idiotic post is stopped being encouraged.

After all how many webhosts are offering FREE 250 MB Hosting on the web with all the different features..

If you are not capable of even keeping up with the posting limit, you dont bloody well deserve a site.

I and many others post here for the fun of participating here and not just to retain my hosting place

So I should hope you'd refrain from such despicable comments in the future .

I think you'd do better with a paid host.
They'd probably give you more trouble and no support.

It is FREE here for your Info.

Nobody tricked you into joining. So you are free to get out.
Dont complain when somebody gives you a gift, take it for it is.

You've got nothing to lose if you get rejected here, right?

Man Am i burning or what?

GO FRIHOST!
(except no0by
Wink )
Scorpio
And by the way, remove the damn poll if you can..

There is no doubt about what the answer is.

What a worthless question here? Confused Evil or Very Mad
Vrythramax
scorpio wrote:
The Flaming will go on unless such an idiotic post is stopped being encouraged.

After all how many webhosts are offering FREE 250 MB Hosting on the web with all the different features..

If you are not capable of even keeping up with the posting limit, you dont bloody well deserve a site.

I and many others post here for the fun of participating here and not just to retain my hosting place

So I should hope you'd refrain from such despicable comments in the future .

I think you'd do better with a paid host.
They'd probably give you more trouble and no support.

It is FREE here for your Info.

Nobody tricked you into joining. So you are free to get out.
Dont complain when somebody gives you a gift, take it for it is.

You've got nothing to lose if you get rejected here, right?

Man Am i burning or what?

GO FRIHOST!

Exactly right and well said, the fact that we have to post a few messages seems to be worth the effort considering all the benefits we receive. If this person is so ticked off by doing this simple task, maybe a paid host is for him.....and there is no garuantee that he will receive any better service.

FRIHOST ROCKS!!
Soulfire
My, my, aren't we impatient? All they ask of you is a few posts per week, and to wait a couple days until you're accepted. All of this for NO advertisements, NO cost, and a TON of features.

This is the BEST free hosting out there.
Vrythramax
Can this topic be closed/locked/deleted? The whole thing seems pointless.

I like Frihost, and I am not ashamed of it nor do I regret receiving FREE services.
Scorpio
Vrythramax wrote:
Can this topic be closed/locked/deleted? The whole thing seems pointless.

I like Frihost, and I am not ashamed of it nor do I regret receiving FREE services.

Thats the whole bottomline..

Please Lock this or delete this..

Dont let people like this spoil the wonderful atmosphere here..

And dear Katty, You asked if anybody was peeved off?

Hell yeah! all of us are pretty PEEVED OFF and sick of your bilge
Jeslyn
S/he practically apologized and said s/he was mistaken.
Give it a rest and quit harping on it.
Helios
Anyway, guys and gals:
If you dislike posting here, we're not holding ye.
Send your complains to God, please.

-close-