FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux boot problems

tomahawk19
Hello,

I have Windows XP Pro running on the first partition of my boot drive, and have tried several different Linux distros, in an attempt to get them to install and boot. Installation is no problem, however when it goes to boot it either hangs in the boot sequence, or right before logon so I can't use any of my distros. I have tried Debian, Mandriva, FC4, FC5, RH8, RH9, and Ubuntu. As you can tell by my computer specs below, I have a 64 bit Athlon and have tried the 64 bit editions of FC4, and Ubuntu, all with the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? (The screen goes blank as though it can't render the login.)

Computer Specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ (754), ASUS K8V-SE DLX, 1 GB Kingston PC3200, 3 HDD, 1 Files drive, 1 Media drive, 1 OS drive (dual boot XP Pro, FC4) 120 GB Maxtor, 30 GB Seagate, 200 GB Maxtor, Sapphire Radeon 9200 Pro, Samsung 19" LCD, Sylvania 17" CRT
photon
the config seems to be allright ( i have almost the same base system). since you have tried many distros, maybe your video card is not supported by default. have you checked for a linux driver for your gfx card??
tomahawk19
It identifies the video card, and also my monitor, so I'm assuming it's supported. Any other ideas that you might have? I may also be configuring it wrong initially with my screen resolution, when I get home I'll try reinstalling FC5 and change the initial resolution.
tomahawk19
So I tried changing my video card driver and to no avail. I reloaded FC5 tonight, and unfortunatelly it does not work...still..I am going to go onto ASUS's website tonight and see if there is a BIOS flash for it, maybe that's the problem, that was the problem on my old Dell laptop.
abhinav_shah
I think there may be some problem with your boot loader. Try configuring grub, and make sure you load it on the master boot record.

Abhinav
mOrpheuS
abhinav_shah wrote:
I think there may be some problem with your boot loader. Try configuring grub, and make sure you load it on the master boot record.

I think the problem is not with Grub.
Since he/she's able to get to the point right before the login :
tomahawk19 wrote:
when it goes to boot it either hangs in the boot sequence, or right before logon

And if I were to guess, I'd blame X starting up a resolution not supported by the available video hardware (GFX card/ monitor).

Most monitors will be able to display their video input's current refresh rates. You can try to check your monitors OSD for any info regarding that.

Is there any sign that may indicate an out-of-range refresh rate ?
Eg., blinking monitor LED ?
Did you try Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when this happens ?
Why don't you try booting with just a text console, and do "startx" from that point ?
tomahawk19
ctrl-alt-backspace does nothing, i also can't boot into command line. my boot loader doesn't have the option, i can go into the grub command line, but don't know how to get the command line boot option once i'm there. i didn't find anything on the monitor, and i have tried all of the resolutions i know that my monitor supports when i set it up the first time, 800x600,1024x768,1280x1024,1600x1200 etc. i hate to bug everyone about this, but hey it's good troubleshooting, and keeps a forum busy, thanks everyone for your help, any other ideas? (oh and for the record we'll just leave it at he when you refer to me Very Happy)

Dustin
mOrpheuS
tomahawk19 wrote:
ctrl-alt-backspace does nothing, i also can't boot into command line

Well, don't expect ctrl-alt-backspace to work wonders until you reach X. Laughing

tomahawk19 wrote:
i can go into the grub command line, but don't know how to get the command line boot option once i'm there

Perhaps this can help ? http://www.iodynamics.com/education/runlevel.html
I think you can enter these by hitting "e" at the grub screen. (?)
You want to boot into runlevel 3 ... as per that article, adding "3" at the end of the grub command line should do the trick.

By the way, have you tried a live linux disc ? like slax or knoppix ?
tomahawk19
It would appear (after running a Ubuntu Live cd) that either my MB bios needs updating, or Linux does not support my video card...period...lol...I guess it's time I upgraded. When I booted into the Ubuntu Live cd I actually got a cursor, but it was a solid blue screen with what appeared to be an attempt to load a GUI at the top where it errored. Any other ideas now?
grantmaster
So you can see all of the Linux boot sequence going by on the screen before it tries to start the Xwindows system?

If so, then it is almost certainly a video problem.

Perhaps not to upgrade your video card, but to downgrade it. Or upgrade to the newest Linux Distro.

Sometimes the video drivers in Linux can't keep up with various new developements in graphics processors.

You might be able to run two video adapters in the PC???
tomahawk19
Has tried using the newest Fedora distribution and if you didn't notice at the top, my video card is an ATI Radeon 9200 and is many years old. Downgrading would put me at an even older video card, it is not new technology. I can see the entire boot sequence up until it starts X.
Akselus
try change enble 'Alocate IRQ to pci graphic card' in bios.
Have you tried to install linux without graphic desktop (server install)?