FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

World Of Warcraft

SubSonic
Ok everybody is going nuts over world of warcraft. I mean i understand that its cool because it's and rpg style game but is it really worth paying about $20 a month too play? I dont think so id rather stick to games like Counter Strike and other shooting games but i do like all the other warcraft games i just dont think that its worth paying to play a game. What do you guy's think about paying to play games?
photon
precisely the reason why i decided to skip wow. its too darn costly for my liking. and since i dont game too much, spending $20 a month would be a total waste..
exarkun
ya, the same for me. But I had also found some free server which holds wow, which is really, really good. Smile
mactox
free servers don't come even near the real Blizzard Servers. But i survived the addiction and can proudly say that i don't play it anymore
eowyn
u ever thought about having your own server? i have one myself Razz
webek
Great game! The best of MMORPG, I played it for a long time, but I so poor and I must stop playing WoW Crying or Very sad

I hear about "private servers" - does it good?
Saryon
WoW is just awesome. If you like all the previous Warcraft games, you'll even like WoW more. The only problem is the money. If you do have the money, and you can afford it, do it. It's really worth the money. Lots of updates, patches, good maintenance, etc...
The graphics are nice, gameplay is very nice too, and it's quite addictive ye.

About the private servers, I've been admin of one for soem time, but I quit with it, since I started the real WoW. To be honest, private servers s*ck when you compare them with the real ones. A lot of features aren't working correctly on the private ones, the game crashes a lot, lots of downtime. Worst part is the amount of players. If you have 1000 players on a private server, it's like a damn lot! If you see this on Blizzard's server, it's very poor. On Blizzard's servers, there are at least about 5000-10000 people.

So really, if you can afford it, buy it, it's worth it.
gh0stface
SubSonic wrote:
Ok everybody is going nuts over world of warcraft. I mean i understand that its cool because it's and rpg style game but is it really worth paying about $20 a month too play? I dont think so id rather stick to games like Counter Strike and other shooting games but i do like all the other warcraft games i just dont think that its worth paying to play a game. What do you guy's think about paying to play games?

The monthly fee isn't 20 bucks. It's ranges more from 13-15 per month.

This is how I figure, depending on where you live, you pay about an average of 8 dollars to see a movie with the average length of 2 hours. Now right there, that's almost half the cost of WoW. But instead of having 2 hours of fun in watching a movie, you have 24/7 for 30 days of fun in playing WoW.

The only reason I don't ahve WoW is that I'm scared of getting addicted to the game :o
Plus, I spend most of my money on booze too... so...
jostor
Because of preassure from friends I have recently started to play it, I have not eaven played a week yet.. However, I'm already in love with the game.
A downside is of course the cost, but at ~$30 for two months (Gamecard in Sweden Smile), i think it's worth playing for a while. Another thing that can ruin the game is people who go around saying "plx free items!! xD", but luckaly they have Roleplaying servers. Smile
anhstar
Yep! 20$/month is costly and especially for someone that have a job, a life outside WOW. If you are really into RPG, I suggest Guildwars, it's a great game and you dont have to pay monthly. It's like Diablo but 3d and instead of a chat room to talk to other people, you have a town where all the avatars can go to and see each other characters.

Sure it's not really a MMORPG, but you still have fun and also, Guildwars is time friendly. You can play for 1 hours with a group and then leave and in Guildwars, items are not as important as WOW.
Frop
It's a great game, i play it a lot when i'm with a friend.

Only problems for me are: i'll get too addicted and my social life will suffer,
and also the price, i don't have a job (yet) and with my allowance i can't afford this(if i want to go out every week).
ReidE96
I feel I must protest. WOW is a great game, I can get a time card for 20 lasting 60 days, or 8 a month. Yes, it costs, true, but it is worth it because the game itself is amazing. But if you don't like it, that's your call, I personally do.
m_furquan36
I personally think that it is worth paying for the game i mean alas it is only a small amount every month which would be spent anyways on other activities...as it is not that high an amount i have no protest but everyone has their own opinion and are entitled to their view Very Happy
moonblade
First of all i do think the monthly fee is a bit high but i guess its a matter of how you look at it..

If your someone like me with a house, car, wife, Two dogs and a job its a bit much.

But then again the game has tons of fun for you. Challenges to over come. Stuff to get. Well.. everything!.

there are certain months who are a bit slower than others. At winter there isnt much to do in the garden and thats the time i do my Gaming.

Anyway the game would probably loose its magic if i kept playing it all the time..

Usually i dont get that much time to play in the weekdays so i generally just checkout the ah when i got 20 mins and look for stuff to reauction. then i leave my character online and keep it there by moving him about now and then.

This means that the char will get rested a lot so that when i do get time to instance i can gain lvls very fast.

PS: For those who doesnt know what rested and instance means.

There is a small bar which tells you how much xp you got but on that bar there is allso a small marker whic tells you how rested you are. Your char becomes more and more rested depending how long he stands around in a big town. You will now get more xp when you kill something until your xp bar reaches the marker.

By instance i mean dungions or rather places where you can go with you party and complete some jobs. Only the party you are in will be there though so noone else can come mess it up for you.
Ghost Face
It's a pretty good game if you know how to play it. I'm not addicted to it, but I also don't pay the 15 monthly.

Hooray for friends with WoW!
I just borrow their accounts if they're not playing. *Rare*

Lolz, the other day I got like 8 greens within 30 minutes. And 2 where on the same normal creep!
Saryon
moonblade wrote:
There is a small bar which tells you how much xp you got but on that bar there is allso a small marker whic tells you how rested you are. Your char becomes more and more rested depending how long he stands around in a big town. You will now get more xp when you kill something until your xp bar reaches the marker.

Easier to go to a big town/inn, and logout there. You'll get the same amount of rested bonus, and you don't have to walk every once in a while, nor will it slow down your computer then.
moonblade
Thing is. I dont logout Smile
Ghost Face
Lolz indeed. WoW is a new life. Moonblade logs out of reality more often than WoW! Am I right? Razz
ReidE96
I remembered something just there. Last time my time ran out I wasn't auto-logged out cos I was still moving etc. Now, if you never log out........... PERMENANT FREE WOW!! (but keep it a secret...sshh...Razz)
Toran
WoW is just amazing. Well worth the money.

If you haven't played an MMORPG then this is the one to try. If you are already on one and are bored of the normal grind give WoW a try.

It is much faster paced than normal MMORPGs. If you choose to be you can be on quests all the time unlikemany other games where you have to reach a certain level to get another quest.

The graphics are extremely stylish. Each area has its own look and you seamlessly move from one to the other. No loading times WOOT!
Saryon
moonblade wrote:
Thing is. I dont logout Smile

Oh lol, in that case, I didn't say anything Very Happy
Rmgk
Private servers are always good, but i dont know about their legality.
rekees
i played it b4 at friends house, i didnt really like it... id prefer gunz more Smile
Ljsk
I don't have the time to play WoW.
sky
Wow is indeed a good game, the monthly is higher than every other games here.. Is pretty hard to lvl up, max of 60, normally 100-350. But then, thats the challenge.. Laughing
moonblade
Ghost Face wrote:
Lolz indeed. WoW is a new life. Moonblade logs out of reality more often than WoW! Am I right? Razz

Haha. No your not right Razz.

Sadly (Luckyli) i dont have time to spend that much time there..
Right now i actually taking a sumer break Smile
ReidE96
Meh, I just bought a time card today. 18.49 for 60 days WoW.

Expansion pack out soon - higher level cap AND WE MAGES GET INVISIBILTY BACK Very Happy In some form anyway.
gryx
Love me some WoW in fact I can't beleive I'm not logged in. Id like to recite all the resons I do but they've already been covered here. I agree about the monthly fee rationalization. If I were to rent/buy movies or console games (wich I play when I need wow down time, rarely of course I still havn't beat metriod prim 1) I would spend way more money per month just beating games and moving on or even worse watching movies. Now I am a video game aholic I know this. If I were to say workout like I used to or play my bass a little more purhaps then saving the 15 bucks would make sense. But I don't. I like to play video games, it brings me pleasure to get out of the real world sometimes. Oh and now that I got my GF hooked on wow I've done the impossible and turned video game time into quality time with sweety. Wow this turned from a simple little hey I'm Gryx a tauren shamen on Black Dragonflight who is starting a guild and looking for active members into quite a rant. Well gotta log my mount isn't saving for itself.

Gryx
Screech
Yea, WoW is a cool game, but it is really not worth the 20 bucks a month, so me and my buddies set up a private server, it's cheaper and less lag.

Very Happy
Benmol
im thinking of setin up my private server but im not sure if it would be as good as the paid 1ns the paid ins are awsome but cost so much wat do u think
Helios
I hate MMORPGs Smile
lordwarlord
Here's a good beginners tip. When you're at lvl 20-30, you should go to the first dungeon (a mine cave or something). There are a lot of mobs and loads of good loots (very useful at the beginning).
sogasg
World of Warcraft is the bigest "nerd-game" ever.

6 000 000 nerds in one game Shocked
Psynthax
I would like to play WOW , but it is too damn expencive for me Sad

Yet again, private servers are too damn buggy, some quests doesn`t work, quest items are missing.. and so on..

If anyone knows any good private server that isn`t buggy and all quests to be working, please tell me ( PM or mention here ) Cool

I would appriciate it a lot... thnx Smile
anotheraddict
sadly, even the best Private Servers are P.O.S.

One main thing that prevents private servers from even comparing is how much they tax the system... Its hard for people to imagine, but you must understand the scope of WoW

And ENTIRE continent is being run by 1 server. The continents are quite large, and that one server must compute, and handle, every person flying, running, danceing, fighting, every NPC, etc., etc..

I've seen private servers running with Dual Xeon procs, 4gig's of ram, and 300gig SATA 3.0g drives, and they STILL struggle through world saves.

this is partially due to bad emulation, but still, thats pretty hardcore...
nrjarchow
WoW does cost money - again 12-15 a month depending on how you pay for it. But really too expensive? Most people I know spend more than that on soda and other ridiculous things. For the money I don't know of much that can rival the entertainment of this game if you like this style of game.

The key to this game is finding a good group of people to play with. Getting into a good guild makes life much more enjoyable imo.

And there is just so much to do!
webcola
I would like to play WoW, but the cost per-month is ridiculous!

It costs more than what I pay for internet access lol
David_Pardy
WoW is a great game, unlike some other games levelling up is not tedious - they have attained the perfect balance of challenge and reward with levelling. I've played games where you do nothing but sit there killing 89219823 monsters to gain half the experience you need to make the next level only to have to do it all again.

I also don't mind paying for WoW - I subscribe 3 monthly. The game helps me to de-stress after driving home from work (Sydney and F3 Freeway traffic anyone?) and I enjoy playing it.
Th3St1ck
meh...i downloaded WoW
and now i just play on private servers, i dont wanna pay like $15 a month
David_Pardy
Here's an idea for any smokers who play WoW!!!

Drop two packs of ciggies a month, and then subscribe with the money you've saved Wink
Vocael
Th3St1ck wrote:
meh...i downloaded WoW
and now i just play on private servers, i dont wanna pay like $15 a month

I play on private servers too. I don't like the game so much that i will pay 15 bucks a month, no way.

After i reached lvl 30 in 25 hours. I uninstalled it :p
elcyron
Quote:

I play on private servers too. I don't like the game so much that i will pay 15 bucks a month, no way.

maybe you should stick to singleplayergames. you'll never get the full potenital of the game on a private server.
then again it depends on what you expect, if you just care for lvl 60 and great equipment it doesnt realy matter.
Vocael
elcyron wrote:
Quote:

maybe you should stick to singleplayergames. you'll never get the full potenital of the game on a private server.
then again it depends on what you expect, if you just care for lvl 60 and great equipment it doesnt realy matter.

That's right :]
I didn't liked it much anyway. I'm a real FPSer :]
But i've played Oblivion too.
Arcannus
Myself, am an avid World of Warcraft player. In my opinion, the monthly cost is minimal if you compare it to other forms of leisure.

If you go and play golf, you get about 3-4 hours of entertainment, and depending on the golf course you play at can cost you around $30.

Another example would be going to the movies, you recieve approximately 1-3 hours for your $10.

Now in my first month of play World of Warcraft, i timed how long i played in total for that month. That way i could measure the cost vs entertainment value.

In my first month alone i played for 12 hours - and i am very much a casual gamer.

Therefore, for my $20, i got 12 hours of entertainment on top of their constant services. Money well spent in my opinion.

Cheers, have a nice day.
Vocael
Arcannus wrote:
Myself, am an avid World of Warcraft player. In my opinion, the monthly cost is minimal if you compare it to other forms of leisure.

If you go and play golf, you get about 3-4 hours of entertainment, and depending on the golf course you play at can cost you around $30.

Another example would be going to the movies, you recieve approximately 1-3 hours for your $10.

Now in my first month of play World of Warcraft, i timed how long i played in total for that month. That way i could measure the cost vs entertainment value.

In my first month alone i played for 12 hours - and i am very much a casual gamer.

Therefore, for my $20, i got 12 hours of entertainment on top of their constant services. Money well spent in my opinion.

Cheers, have a nice day.

Good point..

Not many will see it like you. I didn't too.

Nice reply. Thanks
Saryon
lordwarlord wrote:
Here's a good beginners tip. When you're at lvl 20-30, you should go to the first dungeon (a mine cave or something). There are a lot of mobs and loads of good loots (very useful at the beginning).

If you're Horde side, you can do Ragefire Chasm at level 13-18, and afterwards, 18-24 Wailing Caverns, and then 24-28 Blackfathom Deeps and so on, and so on Very Happy
DeathPact
actually 24-28 you should probably do shadowfang keep, some really imba drops there, and continue with blackfathom deeps, razorfen kraul, gnomeregan,scarlet monastery,razorfen downz, uldaman,zul'farak,maraudon,temple of atal'hakkar. By that time you should be around level 55.

Also arcannus, i play wow more than 200 hours per month, that's waaay to cheap entertainment for me:P
Fulgore217
I play WoW I've played for over a year now and don't plan on stopping. All of my friends play WoW so its a great way to keep in touch with them. As for the cost of the game each month I look at it like this. 1 month of WoW 15.00 compaired to one night out $10 for gas, $7-10 for a movie ticket, $4 for popcorn, $4 for a drink so one night out $28 or 28-31 nights of WoW for $15 bucks isnt that bad for a month of entertainment.
time_ar
I don't think so too. paying to grind items or whatever you call them in a game? well, figure that out.
Arcannus
Like i explained in my above post, yes WoW is a game, a game that you must pay for.

There is this tabboo these days that playing a game makes you nerdy, or unsocial.

Well, i play games, as a hobby, to relax. I work 10 hours every day dealing with people when i manage my hotel.

The last thing i want to do in my spare time, is go out and listen to more loud music around more drunken idiots.

So keep your "nerd" stereotypes to yourself.

Playing games is entertainment, and as such, i dont mind paying for it if i get quality out of it. You would do well to learn that the world is grey, not black and white.
romsman
I played WoW first on some private servers, i liked the game but i didn't think it was great, I then read on the internet that private servers are nothing compared to the real ones, so i headed to the nearest games shop and bough a two month pre-paid gamecard. Immediatly after I started playing I got addicted to it. WoW is one of the best MMORPG's at this time, wi really like doing an instance run with some guild members.
Saryon
"grinding items"
you mentioned that paying to grind items in WoW is just stupid.
And I totally agree with that. However, I never grind stuff in WoW. That's way too boring after a while. If you need money, do some dungeons. You always get some loot, you can sell it for a lot of money, and you even had fun.
chat
World of Warcraft,i hate this most popular online game,big stupid thing for me.Everybody has his/her choose.Play age of empires Smile
DeathPact
it's up to your preferences, maybe you're not into the whole mmorpg thing, like lineage daoc etc
Th3St1ck
The main private server i like to play on is:

TrystWoW
the server adress is - http://trystwow.com:8080/
and there website is - http://www.trystnation.com

there server is very fun to play on, most of the quests are also working
but lately there have been some major rollbacks and server errors
..my lvl 30 and 27 and my lvl 25 got deleted....also i lost like 100g...
Marston
gh0stface wrote:
Plus, I spend most of my money on booze too... so...
Shocked
Timonator
I played on Private servers i even was a GM = gamemaster (ADmin) on one of them. I liked it but there were a lot of bugs and errors a lot of features wich did not work properly. Then guildwars came and i left the Private server and started my gw addiction. I now play WoW on an original server i can use an account form a friend on wich i can play when he is not online. So i can play for free Wink
TonkPilz
i started playing the game to day so far i have playd fore about 4-6H and so far im lvl 8

and im having the most fun i have head ever sens... oblivion i whuld have goten it sooner but its actualy alot of money just to get started playing but now when the expansion is coming the original game is cheaper about 200 (swe kr) so for the game and a pay card its 540 (swe kr) for 2 months

and after that its 240-and 260 kr for 2 months depending on what store you get the pay card for 60 days
DSitC
Hi there,

i'm into WoW too, i have to admit. Me and my girldfriend played the Open European Beta in Feb 2005, and bought the game once it went live in Europe.

About the monthly fee: If you get really addicted to the stuff, you actually save a lot of money, since you spent less time going out to lunch or to the cinemas. Of course this is a rather pathetic reason, but it holds true nonetheless. Wink

Since WoW is my first MMO-Game, i really enjoy the social factor of the realm-based setup. It's rather funny to watch your server-population expand, evolve and learn to know the good, the bad and the ugly. Smile

Many people often complain that there is nothing to do once you reach the level cap and spend some time there. This, of course, is largely dependant on the amount of time you wish to invest into your character. If you are ambitious you can take up raiding and get yourself a large guild to do so. It takes up a lot of your time, but can be rewarding. We both (my girlfriend and me) did raid a lot from summer 2005 to spring 2006. And we enjoyed it a lot.

Just my 3 Cents. Very Happy
aznsensation
WoW is a good game, no doubt. but the fact that i have to pay for the game, and then keep paying to play it kinda gets to me. i mean sooner or later, sure maybe theres a chance for me to get it. but as of right now, if any of you are planning to buy it, might as well start saving up for the expansion pack too... or just wait till blizzard makes another battlechest thing.. lol
m_furquan36
I used to play on private servers-believe me there's nothing worse then playing on one of those(Back then I didn't know the difference between the official and fake servers:P) anyway, in my opinion it's alot more fun then wasting over $20 in a bars (per night). The game ahs many cool features, that keep your time occupied but not make you feel liek wasting all that time away. You interact with people from all over the globe.
elcyron
m_furquan36 wrote:
anyway, in my opinion it's alot more fun then wasting over $20 in a bars (per night). The game ahs many cool features, that keep your time occupied but not make you feel liek wasting all that time away. You interact with people from all over the globe.

makes me wonder if there will be any bars left ten or twenty years from now.
Helios
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-20709.html

-close-